The death of another VIC

Modding and Technical Issues

Moderator: Moderators

adric22
Vic 20 Hobbyist

Post by adric22 »

orion70 wrote:I thought the main problem was turning on the VIC after a long time of inactivity, but now I read it's a chip overheating issue.
So, it's not true that I prevent the two Commodores I have at home from dying (forget the ones left in the garage :cry: ) if I let them on for 6-8 hours per month? Am I taking needless risks? :?:
I think the only thing that "goes bad" after sitting for long times without use is the electrolytic capacitors inside the machine. Of course, if they go bad it could lead to other parts going bad or at least not working correctly. So turning it on and off on occasion might prolong the life of the caps, but that is about it.
eslapion
ultimate expander

Post by eslapion »

orion70 wrote:I thought the main problem was turning on the VIC after a long time of inactivity, but now I read it's a chip overheating issue.
Turning on your VIC or other old computer every once in a while does prevent electrolitic capacitors aging.

However, this does not change the fact that because of the way the VIC was designed, the video chip is not cooled adequately.

Back then it didn't matter too much because these machines were not expected to last much more than about 2 years anyways.
Be normal.
6502dude
megacart

Post by 6502dude »

eslapion wrote:Turning on your VIC or other old computer every once in a while does prevent electrolitic capacitors aging.
It is generally agreed that the effects of oxidation may be retarded, or reduced, with periodic powering of equipment.
Go back and read your book again.
eslapion wrote:However, this does not change the fact that because of the way the VIC was designed, the video chip is not cooled adequately.
While a heatsink may be helpful, I don't think there is any empirical evidence that failure of 6560/6561 video chip is due to thermal problems.
eslapion wrote:Back then it didn't matter too much because these machines were not expected to last much more than about 2 years anyways.
From where do you gain this insight of design criteria? Do you have access to Commodore engineering notes or specifications?

For a guy who purports to have above average intellect (based on AS), you sure post a lot of things as fact, that are somewhat screwed up.
Image Mega-Cart: the ultimate cartridge for your Commodore Vic-20
eslapion
ultimate expander

Post by eslapion »

6502dude wrote:
eslapion wrote:Turning on your VIC or other old computer every once in a while does prevent electrolitic capacitors aging.
It is generally agreed that the effects of oxidation may be retarded, or reduced, with periodic powering of equipment.
Go back and read your book again.
Why would I go back and read my "book" again if I say the same thing as you?

Anyways, capacitor aging usually has nothing to do with "oxydation". The degradation of the electrolites and dielectric is a complex chemical process which varies with the type of chemical used.
eslapion wrote:However, this does not change the fact that because of the way the VIC was designed, the video chip is not cooled adequately.
While a heatsink may be helpful, I don't think there is any empirical evidence that failure of 6560/6561 video chip is due to thermal problems.
Check it with a thermocouple... a chip running above 60 C is slowly self destroying.
eslapion wrote:Back then it didn't matter too much because these machines were not expected to last much more than about 2 years anyways.
From where do you gain this insight of design criteria? Do you have access to Commodore engineering notes or specifications?

For a guy who purports to have above average intellect (based on AS), you sure post a lot of things as fact, that are somewhat screwed up.
Got any explanation why the warranty was only 3 months? :P
Be normal.