New release: VICtoria Deluxe Edition for VIC +8K

Discussion, Reviews & High-scores

Moderator: Moderators

orion70
VICtalian

New release: VICtoria Deluxe Edition for VIC +8K

Post by orion70 »

HERE's a new game: VICtoria Deluxe Edition. The zip file contains a disk image, the cover and the game manual.

VICtoria is a turn-based strategy game set in ancient Rome, between 200 b.C. and 800 a.D. It is programmed in pure BASIC and requires a VIC-20 equipped with 8K RAM expansion. To play it in the VICE, you simply have to set the VIC memory at +8K and autostart the d64 image.

The game includes management of your army, troops transfer between provinces, war to enemy empires, and variation of tax rate (more taxes, more troops, but also more revolts). After each turn, you watch other empires fight one another (or attack Rome), and eventually collapse. Name of empires and strenght of your legions vary as time passes. Please, refer to the manual for more info.

I think the plus of this game is a graphic map of the Roman world, divided into several regions (provinces), in which you can highlight three empires at a time, with different colors. The map is loaded separately, due to memory limitations; thus, the program automatically saves and loads the status every time you switch from management to map and vice-versa.
You can also save and load the game during play.

The map was entirely created by "herr VIC" Mike, whose Mini-Grafik extension allowed high-res 4 color mode, without requiring any supplementary cartridge. THANKS MIKE!

Critique and suggestions are welcome.
Have fun!
Last edited by orion70 on Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:16 am, edited 4 times in total.
Mayhem
High Bidder

Post by Mayhem »

Unfortunately Gamebase can only handle one PC file at a time... so I can't add this sadly. Unless someone can write a loader to boot the Super Expander into memory before loading the first part of the game on the same disk image...
Lie with passion and be forever damned...
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

Wow, you're all so productive! :oops: Before looking at the code, would it be possible to rewrite the game using e.g. Mike's Mini-Grafik to reduce the need for Super Expander? While it is a relatively common cartridge - just until recently I owned three copies - unless you're using a lot of features from SE it may be a challenging task.

Anyway, VICtoria is so .. obvious. :) I'm still waiting for someone to make a vikings game called VIC-Odin. :lol:
Anders Carlsson

Image Image Image Image Image
orion70
VICtalian

Post by orion70 »

carlsson wrote:would it be possible to rewrite the game using e.g. Mike's Mini-Grafik to reduce the need for Super Expander?
Of course I could, if only I knew how (I don't know anything about MG, but I know it was discussed in a thread some time ago).
The game uses graphic commands only in the map part, where draw, color, and paint instructions can be easily translated into their MG counterparts. Therefore, the real challenge and drawback of this operation would be to convert all the coordinates, as Super Expander uses a strange 1000x1000 virtual pixelization, and converts it automatically to the actual resolution of the graphic mode you're in.
carlsson wrote:Anyway, VICtoria is so .. obvious. :) I'm still waiting for someone to make a vikings game called VIC-Odin. :lol:
:lol:

Too bad Veni, vidi, VIC was already copyrighted... :wink:
Mayhem wrote:Unfortunately Gamebase can only handle one PC file at a time... so I can't add this sadly. Unless someone can write a loader to boot the Super Expander into memory before loading the first part of the game on the same disk image...
If you want to put it in the GB, I can produce a reduced version for VIC+3K, with only the managerial part in it (no map); although it would be quite hard to figure out the evolution of empires without it, or at least without the last page of the manual and some color pencils. :roll:
Last edited by orion70 on Tue Sep 30, 2008 7:21 am, edited 3 times in total.
Mike
Herr VC

Post by Mike »

carlsson wrote:would it be possible to rewrite the game using e.g. Mike's Mini-Grafik to reduce the need for Super Expander?
This would need some preprocessing of vertical lines, to replace the PAINT command (used for filling the areas), but it is doable. As I see, only the "MAP" program needs to be adapted.

The data for the co-ordinates would consist of single bytes, and could be stored either in a SEQ file, or - even better - in a REL file. Latter would allow direct access to the data of a single province.

Greetings,

Michael
PaulQ
undead vic

Post by PaulQ »

Got to love these new strategy games for a change. 8)
Mike
Herr VC

Post by Mike »

orion70 wrote:Therefore, the real challenge and drawback of this operation would be to convert all the coordinates, as Super Expander uses a strange 1000x1000 virtual pixelization, and converts it automatically to the actual resolution of the graphic mode you're in.
I'm on the way doing that first.

The map will be resized to use the full MG 160x192 resolution. I'll then send you the result via e-mail.
orion70
VICtalian

Post by orion70 »

:D
I'm eagerly waiting!
Mayhem
High Bidder

Post by Mayhem »

Obviously I'd like to keep the map in there... if the game can be rewritten to remove the need for the SE, then all the better for me including it :)
d0c
Vic 20 Devotee

Post by d0c »

so there will be a version for us unlucky that dont have the super expander?....
1983 vic20 & 3k-16k ram expansion....
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

There's something novel about a game that makes use of the Super Expander. I always wanted to make a game that uses the Atari Keypad controller. :)
High Scores, Links, and Jeff's Basic Games page.
orion70
VICtalian

Post by orion70 »

d0c wrote:so there will be a version for us unlucky that dont have the super expander?....
Hopefully yes, because Mike is working on a Mini-Grafik version of the Map program. As soon as a graphic part elaborated with MG will be implemented, I will rewrite the whole thing in a single-filed program for the VIC+16K, no Super Expander required. It will be at higher resolution and maybe it will include new management options.
The name of this new version - if we succeed - will be: VICtoria Deluxe. :wink:

PS- I don't have the Super Expander, either. I programmed and tested the game on VICE. I'd really like to see how it looks on a real VIC.
nbla000
Salmon Run

Post by nbla000 »

Very nice game, my compliments Orion !!!
Mega-Cart: the cartridge you plug in once and for all.
orion70
VICtalian

Post by orion70 »

IMPORTANT! The game VICtoria Deluxe is now already done, thanks to Mike's effort to port the whole graphic part to the Mini-Grafik extension. You can download the game HERE; all the links and the entry in the General Topics thread are updated.

Thanks again to Mike, Mayhem can now include the disk in his Gamebase, as everything will load automatically in a VIC +8K RAM, no carts required. :D
Last edited by orion70 on Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mayhem
High Bidder

Post by Mayhem »

Well that seems to work okay in Gamebase! I'm curious though, was there no chance to make it +16K RAM and put all the program in one file without the need to multiload?