Retrogathering 2009, Stockholm 10-11 October

Discuss anything related to the VIC
carlsson
Class of '6502

Retrogathering 2009, Stockholm 10-11 October

Post by carlsson »

Just like Robin mentioned the Commodore gathering in Chicago, I thought I should mention the Retro Gathering in Stockholm as well. Both events happen to take place the same weekend - perhaps we can set up some network link between the places?

Retro Gathering is a general gaming and computing meet, ranging from the 1970's Pong to the early 1990's game consoles. Some may even try to sneak in some late 1990's consoles, but that is not really within the focus.

I will probably demonstrate the early prototype of the MegaCart, and something more on the VIC-20. I will also bring some of my other gear to show off.

As well as exhibitions and demonstrations, there will be a lot of selling and swapping going on. Perhaps even more people get there to swap than to play. We will also run an official auction where people have listed items of particular interest. I will contribute an NTSC (!) SX-64, a PET 2001N and so on.

For more information, see the web site (in Swedish) as it gets updated:
http://www.retrogathering.se

I believe most Swedes on this forum already are aware of the event, but there may be others, e.g. Finns or Norwegians, even Germans or more distant people who'd like to come here. In any case, it is the biggest dedicated retro gaming event in Sweden that we know of, running on its third year and getting bigger all the time.

Edit: Dates for 2008 were September 27-28, 2009 are October 10-11
Last edited by carlsson on Wed Sep 16, 2009 6:44 am, edited 3 times in total.
Anders Carlsson

Image Image Image Image Image
Mikam73
2049er

Post by Mikam73 »

Pet2001 sounds intresting.. 8)
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

Perhaps I can make it to both events... what's the time difference between them? A live feed would be amazing for those of you who are not jet-setters like me.
High Scores, Links, and Jeff's Basic Games page.
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

Chicago is CST DST = GMT-5
Stockholm is CET DST = GMT+2

So seven hours difference, and about 4800 miles straight line across the cities. If I understand correctly, direct flight takes about nine hours, e.g. if you leave Stockholm at 10 AM, you arrive in Chicago at 12 AM.
Anders Carlsson

Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

I guess I will have to settle on a live camera. We could set something up. Our event last year lasted much longer than 7 hours, so it is almost sure to overlap.
High Scores, Links, and Jeff's Basic Games page.
Mikam73
2049er

Post by Mikam73 »

Carlsson:

I am intrested of Retro Gathering. How much does it cost, when its open and is it far away from Viking/Silja Line terminal?

BIT Live 2008 got quite expensive after all, but if I go again, I dont need buy TaxFree this time, so it will be cheaper.

Anyway.. It would be nice if there was possible share hostel room or something, course if I go alone it will cost too much. I am sure I cant get other people go from here course it was so difficult get group together to BIT Live. Also I would not like to be alone a Stockholm. But event would be nice. :)

--

Its one day event only? Then I could get there at morning and back at evening.. 8) No more Mc Donalds nights for me.. :D
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

The entrance is projected at 20 SEK, which is a little over 2 Euros. The plan is to have one higher entrance fee at 50 SEK which also involves a lottery ticket with chance to win something unique, but I'm unsure if that will take place.

Alviks Medborgarhus is about 7,5 km away from Stadsgården where the boats stop. I'll look up the best way to transport, probably by bus although you may need to change somewhere. Possibly someone could drive to pick you up.

The event is mainly on Saturday, 10 AM - 8 PM. At the moment there are no scheduled events after 5 PM.

I have booked a hotel room for three, but one of the persons may not afford to share the room. It'd cost 500 SEK per person which may seem a bit expensive, but I found it a bit hard to find dirt-cheap hostels in Stockholm unless you want to drive very far from the exhibition area.

I hope to see you there. BIT Live probably was a nice event but I think somewhat more narrow target group than Retro Gathering will be. Or maybe I'm biased, thinking more people generally are interested in looking at and playing with old video games than listening to a concert made up of covers of old game musics.
Anders Carlsson

Mikam73
2049er

Post by Mikam73 »

20SEK or 50SEK is no problem. Its very cheap. I think that I would get 50SEK ticket and maybe win something. Usually I wont :)

If somebody could pick me up from boat terminal it would be very nice. I am one of those persons that get lost easily and use lot GPS :wink:

I dont think that room is problem either even its more expensive than hostel. Room is for saturday-sunday? I dont know if its problem get from event place to hostel even hostel was at centrum. Course we wont go back at sunday if event is only at saturday. There was nice hostels at centrum. We got really nice service last weekend. Even we did stay there only 5 hours. After only 3 hour sleep at boat. I been emailing with them so we might get room from there too. (Best Hostel Oldtown sister hostel).

BIT Live was nice. Its been really really long since I was at Stockholm last time. Only bad thing was that I was really tired, had flu and we had so place for saturday-sunday night after event end 3:00. 2 hours total full McDonalds that time was quite experience at Slussen.

I am sure I would enjoy Retro Gathering a lot. Maybe find something nice new retro stuff to buy. I have lot retro stuff for trade, but I dont know if its so easy trade.

I could maybe take my Chatter Box Vic20 cartridge with me if you could look it. For some reason it wont talk to me anymore. There was bad connection at wire and one guy did look it, now picture is ok but there is no sound anymore.

I try find Viking/Silja boat information. But it would be nice to know that there is room for me, I dont wanna be at McDonalds again :D

Thanks Carlsson 8)
Mikam73
2049er

Post by Mikam73 »

carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

Good that you remind me. I was about to remove that massage item.
Anders Carlsson

Mikam73
2049er

Post by Mikam73 »

carlsson wrote:Good that you remind me. I was about to remove that massage item.
By the way. Does selling at auktion cost something?

Or can I just take picture and send info of item to auktionpage, then set min value it can sell and take my stuff there.

I was thinking Intervision 2001 tv-game, only sold at Finland and Switcherland, Commodore 1200 modem and Commodore new boxed gamepad. Things like that might sell ok. And I got some cash but new stuff :)

I go today after course dat ask ship company about cabin, only little worry about cost, course traveling alone is expensive. I cant understand why I cant get other people come from Finland. If you can share cabin cost its not expensive anymore.

Is there hotelroom place still for me?

:)
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

Yes, we charge 10% of the final bid in commission. Items that didn't sell are free of charge. No insertion fees. Bidding will only take place at the event, although private persons of course are allowed to act like couriers for others.
Anders Carlsson

Mikam73
2049er

Post by Mikam73 »

Are end prizes usually low or high? Course ofter bids like that prizes can get quite high. How bidding happend there.. My swedish really isnt good at all.
Mikam73
2049er

Post by Mikam73 »

Pet2001? Is it same machine at picture? Keyboard looks newer model and no tape drive.
Zeela
Vic 20 Enthusiast

Post by Zeela »

It's a PET 2001-N... Not the original PET 2001.

The end prices at the auction? Hmmm... Last year's auction had rather modest end prices IIRC. But then the auction were held on the second day when the visitors wasn't there.

This year the auction will be held at the middle of the main day, so there will hopefully be a lot of visitors bidding as well. (Well, that's good for the sellers and not for the buyers anyway... :wink:)
Last edited by Zeela on Thu Sep 18, 2008 6:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Check out my humble collection of old 'puters an such
http://www.zeela.se