Zok's Kingdom

Discussion, Reviews & High-scores

Moderator: Moderators

fgasking
Vic 20 Devotee

Zok's Kingdom

Post by fgasking »

Has anyone really played through Zok's Kingdom (Anirog) and got very far?

I had this game from when I first got my Vic 20 and never really got far. I always used to be stuck on the screen which was completely black and where you could fall into invisible pits and die.

Additionally I could never tell what the objects were that I was picking up.

With the help of save states in Vice, I managed to eventually get past the black screen.. but then figuring out what to do next is a complete mystery.

I like the game though, mainly because of my rose tinted view of it from my childhood :)
ral-clan
plays wooden flutes

Post by ral-clan »

I think this is one where the scren runs off the bottom on an NTSC VIC, so I never played it very far for that reason.
DanSolo
Vic 20 Dabbler

Post by DanSolo »

Where can I get this game? All I can find at http://www.zimmers.net/anonftp/pub/cbm/vic20/games is "Zorgons Kingdom.prg" which I don't think is it.
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

6502dude has - with permission - put up a mirror of Tim Armadenning's site. You can find Zok's Kingdom there:

http://www.6502dude.com/cbm/vic20/arma/ztaps.html
Anders Carlsson

Image Image Image Image Image
DanSolo
Vic 20 Dabbler

Post by DanSolo »

Same here fgasking. I think I've got all the items, but I can't believe anyone could pass that black screen back in 1983. Is there a switch or a way to activate items? Maybe a trip through "memory lane" would help... :D

EDIT: There is "“WELL DONE!žYOU HAVE DEFEATED ZOK AND HAVE BEEN TRANSPORTED BACK" ¡RI™"TO EARTH." in the memory, so it's designed to be finished. There's also "“ŸWHAT IS THE NUMBER?" and "“œYOU HAVE BEEN KILLED BY THE GHOUL" but I can't work out what they do either. Shouldn't that half-vase looking thing at the top right of the last room be the end you'd think?
fgasking
Vic 20 Devotee

Post by fgasking »

The only way I ever got through the black screen was via save states in Vice :-)

I then got to the next few screens where there was I think the bridge and one or two more items. But haven't got a clue what to do next :)
jsundh
Vic 20 Drifter

Post by jsundh »

I tried and it must be some switch somewhere for the "black screen". I entered a new line "135 TC=1" in the code and this variable make the pits visible.
DanSolo
Vic 20 Dabbler

Post by DanSolo »

How did you get the listing? It's awkward to reset as it's a multiload.
You found the secret message in the middle left alcove of the red room? It says "The number is 5" (in my case). Any other secrets around I wonder?
And have a poke around some of the trees on the first screen... it doesn't activate what I think might be the "arcade machine" in the last room though.
Last edited by DanSolo on Wed Aug 06, 2008 5:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
jsundh
Vic 20 Drifter

Post by jsundh »

I just loaded one part after another and don't run them.

I have now played a bit more and found the solution. It was not so difficult. You can use the ladder (from the water with the bridge) with some of the trees (the first room).
DanSolo
Vic 20 Dabbler

Post by DanSolo »

There's a 1p coin behind that tree. It didn't do anything when I got to the last room though. You need the ladder to get the coin?
jsundh
Vic 20 Drifter

Post by jsundh »

Yes, You need the ladder to get the coin. You can also use the ladder on another tree....
DanSolo
Vic 20 Dabbler

Post by DanSolo »

Got it. So you should go back as soon as you get the ladder then.
Imagine trying to finish that without VICE... and that dark room is the most ridiculous thing ever once you see it properly. :roll:
fgasking
Vic 20 Devotee

Post by fgasking »

This is awesome stuff. I'll have a play this weekend and rummage round. Thats a nice 19 year mystery solved then for me, thanks guys!
fgasking
Vic 20 Devotee

Post by fgasking »

Really interesting having a rummage around the game now you guys have found out more about it.

So i'm guessing that within one of the mazes, that was a boat I collected or part of a bridge to get across the lake.

Now got to the graveyard with the spade and gone inside with the ghoul to get the blade. Awful game, but I love it :)
crowscamp
Vic 20 Newbie

Please help me solve this !!!!!!!!

Post by crowscamp »

I have never been able to solve Zok's kingdom since I got the game 20 years back !!!!!! Trouble is working through on an old VIC there is no facility to save your progress so you have to keep starting over, pretty frustrating and annoying. I have got through to the room with the spade, the message "some arcade games cost 1p" and the pink half vase thing. I have the 1p but I dont seem to be able to make progress. I have also got through the grave yard to the room with the ghoul in it.. I havent got past the Ghoul yet.. I am nearly there !!!! HELP !

Of course I didnt mention the other annoing feature of this game the 25 min load time which 50% of the time terminates with a ? LOAD ERROR.

:x