Recommend a Monitor

Modding and Technical Issues

Moderator: Moderators

Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Recommend a Monitor

Post by Jeff-20 »

1702? 1802? What's the best monitor for the VIC and why? My Vic is currently connected to an LCD flat screen. The image is dull and washed out. The whites appear dark. It is a compromise solution because of limited desk space.
I feel like I should have a good Commodore monitor on hand for all of my classic video game needs. NES and Atari look awful on LCD screens.
High Scores, Links, and Jeff's Basic Games page.
Schema
factor

Re: Recommend a Monitor

Post by Schema »

Jeff-20 wrote:The image is dull and washed out. The whites appear dark.
You probably need to adjust the video pot. I find the "right" setting is very different between monitors and TVs.

Before:

After:
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

Ah, yes. I remember doing this before. Thanks.

What's the diff between the 1701 and 1702 monitors? I understand they are different internally, but which is better?
6502dude
megacart

Re: Recommend a Monitor

Post by 6502dude »

Schema wrote:You probably need to adjust the video pot.
If the trimmer capacitor is adjusted (red thingy), this will adjust clock frequency slightly and may help adjust colour between green and cyan border.
Image Mega-Cart: the ultimate cartridge for your Commodore Vic-20
eslapion
ultimate expander

Post by eslapion »

If I understand correctly, the original question was "Which Commodore monitor is best?"

From my point of view, the original 1080 that was sold with Amiga 1000 computers is the best I know of.

I know there are different versions of the 1080 but the first one is the best.

It has enough persistence to considerably reduce flicker on Amiga computers yet not enough so there is a trail when you move the mouse quickly.

It is compatible with both the VIC-20 and 64 as it has both a composite and separate (luma/chroma) inputs. With a simple S-Video cable, you can make a S-Video to Luma/Chroma adapter and use it to watch cable or satellite TV and the picture is incredibly sharp.

Mine was made in November 1985 and still works almost like new.
Be normal.
gklinger
Vic 20 Elite

Post by gklinger »

eslapion wrote:From my point of view, the original 1080 that was sold with Amiga 1000 computers is the best I know of.
I couldn't agree more.

I've found that the 1084S is the most flexible. I can have a 128 in both 40 and 80 column mode and an Amiga hooked up all at once and it has speakers (lousy ones but they're better than nothing). The picture is pretty good. Not as good as a 1080 though.
In the end it will be as if nothing ever happened.
nbla000
Salmon Run

Post by nbla000 »

gklinger wrote:I've found that the 1084S is the most flexible.
I use 3 different 1084S one for each C64/Vic20/Amiga1200 that i have, i think it is a good item.
Mega-Cart: the cartridge you plug in once and for all.
6502dude
megacart

Post by 6502dude »

I bought a 2002 new with my C128 system back in 1985.

While it had several input options, it was a piece of junk almost from day one.

I am much happier with 1080 monitors.
Image Mega-Cart: the ultimate cartridge for your Commodore Vic-20
PaulQ
undead vic

Post by PaulQ »

For my money, I've always liked the 1701/1702 monitors. I've had the 1084 and two different models of the 1084s, but the flyback transformers keep on failing. I have both a 1701 and a 1702, and these keep on working fine. They were definitely built to last, and I still see them in use today for various non-Commodore related tasks. Only trouble is, they don't co-ordinate with a Vic 20 very well. However, they transform a brown Commodore 64 into a serious looking machine. Maybe the case could be painted to match a Vic 20?

As for the differences, I know the 1701 came first, and was designated that model number because of the Starship Enterprise. Remember when Captain Kirk advertised for Commodore? I'm not certain, but I suspect that whatever agreement they had with Star Trek ended, so they quietly changed the model number to 1702 to prevent any kind of legal troubles. Otherwise, the two look exactly identical.
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

I love the cube form factor of the 1702. I seem like you can stack stuff on it.

I've never owned one, but I read somewhere that there are significant internal differences between the 1701 and 1702. The 1702, I think, was designed to meet some PAL market requirements.
ral-clan
plays wooden flutes

Post by ral-clan »

nbla000 wrote:
gklinger wrote:I've found that the 1084S is the most flexible.
I use 3 different 1084S one for each C64/Vic20/Amiga1200 that i have, i think it is a good item.
The only problem with 1084 monitors is that they have the nasty habit of developing a whistling problem, and then the flyback transformer dies, as I recall. I had this happen with a 1084 myself, and it's a recognized failure.

However, the good news is that not all 1084 - 1084S monitors were made by the same company. I think there are at least five manufacturers, and only the outer casing is the same. So it may be a problem with 1084 boards from one supplier.

EDIT: Ooops, I noticed after posting this that DQ had the same problem too. I guess it was these darned Canadian (North American?) 1084s that had the problem.
Overdoc
Vic 20 Amateur

Post by Overdoc »

The problem on the 1084 (but 1080 as well) is that the flyback is not fixed very good in^to the pcb, so it may move a bit when the monitor is carried around. This leads to broken/cold solder joints, the monitor starts whistling or the picture stays dark, and the flyback dies shortly afterwards.
So, just resolder the pins on the flyback and it should live for long :)

The best montors in my opinion are the 1080 and 1901 monitors. The both have that very dark and super sharp tube. The 101 however doesn't have a video input, only chroma/luma. Also the 1084 are good if you want to connect an Amiga or other RGB display computer as well, and the 1701/02 are fine as well, but stay away from the 1802, it is poor.

The difference between 1701 and 1702 is the pcb afaik. both were made by JVC but the 1701 has a bigger transformer (it is heavier).
Both exist in PAL as well as NTSC.
ral-clan
plays wooden flutes

Post by ral-clan »

Overdoc wrote:The problem on the 1084 (but 1080 as well) is that the flyback is not fixed very good in^to the pcb, so it may move a bit when the monitor is carried around. This leads to broken/cold solder joints, the monitor starts whistling or the picture stays dark, and the flyback dies shortly afterwards.
So, just resolder the pins on the flyback and it should live for long :)
I wish I had known this before I chucked my old 1084 several years ago. :cry: It would have been an easy fix.