My retro C64 computer cabinet

Other Computers and Game Systems

Moderator: Moderators

PaulQ
undead vic

Post by PaulQ »

It's been a while, but I decided to update this thread. I had since decided to install a couple of inexpensive cooling fans I found at Princess Auto for $1.98 each. They were 12VDC, drawing 200mA each. I found a suitable PSU at the local Value Village for $1.99. It supplies 800 mA of current across 12VDC.

I'm not an electrical engineer, but I do understand Kirchoff's current law as well as both series and parallel circuits. Total current drawn by the load in this parallel circuit will be 400mA. I confirmed polarity with an inexpensive volt meter. Fans aren't too noisy and create a nice air flow upwards.

While I spent less than $10 for cooling, I spent over $10 for a power bar with surge suppression. It powers the C64 (or Vic 20), both drives, 1701 monitor, and the old laptop on top.

Thanks to 6502dude for sending me that hard drive to get that old laptop up and running; it runs Star Commander and connects to the right 1541 disk drive (set as drive 9) via an X1541 cable I made myself.

I haven't stained the cabinet yet, as I'm working on wood burning the Commodore logo on the side first.
Centallica
Pinballer

Post by Centallica »

That should do the trick!

Looks good man!
hawk
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by hawk »

I agree, it looks great. A very neat solution.
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

It looks ok, I guess... it would probably look MUCH better with a different computer in front. something approximately the same size... :wink:
High Scores, Links, and Jeff's Basic Games page.
yoyodyne
Vic 20 Enthusiast

Post by yoyodyne »

Jeff-20 wrote:It looks ok, I guess... it would probably look MUCH better with a different computer in front. something approximately the same size... :wink:
I agree. A Commodore 16, perhaps..... :wink:
If you document it, its not a bug, its a feature.
~
You can have peace, or you can have freedom. Just don't count on having them both at once.
~
There was a time, before we were born. If someone asks, this is where I'll be.
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

An Atari 800XL would also look splendid with that setup, but you'd have to replace the disk drives.
Anders Carlsson

Image Image Image Image Image
gklinger
Vic 20 Elite

Post by gklinger »

You guys, Jeff was clearly referring to a Radio Shack Color Computer 2. Duh.
In the end it will be as if nothing ever happened.