Maximum display size PAL and NTSC, post your pics here

Modding and Technical Issues

Moderator: Moderators

carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

As far as I know, interlace mode only exists on the NTSC 6560 VIC-I.

I own both a PAL and NTSC VIC-20 now, so I can measure them both on the same display, without tweaking any knobs.
Anders Carlsson

Image Image Image Image Image
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

Yep, Interlace is only available on NTSC and should give a screen with a resolution twice as high, for example 176x368. Will be interesting to see. I wonder if it only works in the 8x16 character mode?
Last edited by Boray on Tue Jul 01, 2008 4:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
PRG Starter - a VICE helper / Vic Software (Boray Gammon, SD2IEC music player, Vic Disk Menu, Tribbles, Mega Omega, How Many 8K etc.)
nbla000
Salmon Run

Post by nbla000 »

nippur72 wrote:And also, why your bottom colour memory looks all black while mine is random? Did you clear it by hand? :)
No.
A small tip when taking pictures of CRT displays:
Thanks, i took about 30 photos and these are the only decent. :oops:
Mega-Cart: the cartridge you plug in once and for all.
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

If I understand correct, interlace mode on the VIC does not affect the resolution but the way the picture is sent: two half frames (even/odd lines) every 1/60 second or one full frame every 1/30 or so.
Anders Carlsson

Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

carlsson wrote:If I understand correct, interlace mode on the VIC does not affect the resolution but the way the picture is sent: two half frames (even/odd lines) every 1/60 second or one full frame every 1/30 or so.
That doesn't sound very fun. But I guess you would be able to switch characterset at every half frame to create a higher resolution then... if there is enough memory for that...
PRG Starter - a VICE helper / Vic Software (Boray Gammon, SD2IEC music player, Vic Disk Menu, Tribbles, Mega Omega, How Many 8K etc.)
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

It is more a matter of avoiding flicker. For example in Submarine Commander by Thorn EMI you can press F7 (IIRC) to turn on/off interlace mode in case your TV would flicker a lot.
Anders Carlsson