Installing DASM on Linux

Other Computers and Game Systems

Moderator: Moderators

Victragic
Frogger '07

Installing DASM on Linux

Post by Victragic »

Hi all,

I always said (since about 1998) that when a Linux distribution would work 'out of the box' for me, I'd bite the bullet and attempt to learn Linux..

So, finally, and to my surprise, I discovered that Ubuntu 8.04 works, out of the box, with my 6month old laptop - that is, sound, graphics, wireless drivers etc all working well without having to mess around with drivers that don't work or don't exist. I'm impressed so far with the speed and efficiency compared with Vista, though I've got that horrible yet familiar feeling of not knowing what the hell I'm doing or talking about.

So I'm (once again) a newb. I have managed to get VICE working, thanks to an excellent 'how-to' on the following link that shows how to configure it, make it and install it. Seeing the Vic fire up under GNOME is a sight for sore eyes.. For those playing at home, the link is as follows:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=278022

However, to get DASM working, I have absolutely no idea. There's no configure file, when I try to 'make' it from the src directory I get

Makefile:24: *** missing separator. Stop.

and that's about it.. I know I have to compile it, it appears to be written in C, but that's ALL I know. Seriously, that's it!

I would be most grateful if someone can guide me as to what I'm supposed to be doing to get this to work.. I don't wanna go back to Vista just to create Vic20 programs!

Cheers
-Glen
3^4 is 81.0000001
Richard James
Vic 20 Devotee

Post by Richard James »

The answer is you don't compile it. There already is a binary in the bin directory of the DASM package. If there is not then make sure you got the latest version of DASM from http://dasm-dillon.sourceforge.net/. Once you can see that the executable dasm runs you might want to place it somewhere in your path by doing

Code: Select all

sudo cp dasm /usr/local/bin
That is where I have it. doing that means that it will run from the command line but you can't upgrade it without manually overwriting it. Not that that really matters. If you have any more problems ask here I use DASM under Ubuntu 8.04
Change is inevitable except from a vending machine.
Victragic
Frogger '07

Post by Victragic »

Thanks Richard!

yay! It works

interestingly, the latest downloads (from the project page) don't include linux binaries, but I found the previous version elsewhere so that was good advice.

After copying the file into the common 'path' directory, the ownership of the file changed to 'root', meaning I was getting 'permission denied' every time I tried to execute the file.

I changed it via sudo chmod a+x dasm, so in the process learned something about how permissions work on linux..

alround pleased as punch..

hasta la vista, Vista..

-G
3^4 is 81.0000001
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

As for reference, I just downloaded DASM 2.20.11 and had no difficulties to compile it on Debian something or other, kernel version 2.4.27. I did get a handful of warnings though, but I don't think you can avoid those without rewriting the code.

Since Ubuntu is based on Debian, it sounds strange if it doesn't compile at all on your computer. Perhaps Ubuntu doesn't come with GNU Make, or rather you have some old, bizarre Make prior in your path?
Anders Carlsson

Image Image Image Image Image
Victragic
Frogger '07

Post by Victragic »

It is definitely gnu 'make' on Ubuntu..

perhaps I was trying to make an out-of-date version of dasm source, that's all I can think.
3^4 is 81.0000001
Richard James
Vic 20 Devotee

Post by Richard James »

I believe that you need a package called "build-essential". That will enable you to compile software.

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install build-essential
I just checked that 2.20.11 compiles on my box. It does come up with many warning errors and make install does not work. Maybe you have not got all the right packages? Or as you say it was an older version of DASM?
Change is inevitable except from a vending machine.