Project Advice Needed: Illuminated Buttons

Other Computers and Game Systems

Moderator: Moderators

Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Project Advice Needed: Illuminated Buttons

Post by Jeff-20 »

I have an arcade with translucent buttons in place. Three on each side. I would like to illuminate the buttons like the pic below.

Keep in mind, my arcade has 3 buttons grouped unlike the 5 above. I was thinking of how to best illuminate them. I think I'll need a strong light source. I could place a bulb just between the 3 buttons and some kind of reflective shield outside the 3 to get a more uniform light... How do normal arcades do this? I haven't found any information on the net other than this guy who used some kind of LED system.

BYOAC has some interesting ideas that may not work for me. I am using leaf switch buttons, not microswitch buttons. So LEDs may not be the best way to go. I have no idea how much power I need, how much heat these bulbs generate, and how the heat may affect the delicate wires and plastic of the buttons.

Here are some of the options I have looked at on Radio Shack's website. Any thoughts or suggestions?
High Scores, Links, and Jeff's Basic Games page.
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

Update: 10 minutes after posting this, I discover Lightmite. I worry my buttons may be too close for this to work. I also don't know how to power these. Which voltage do I need? I have a total of 6 buttons. Do I just chain link them?
I still think it may be easier to place a single incandescent flashlight bulb between each group of three. :? Not sure about the heat tho'.
High Scores, Links, and Jeff's Basic Games page.