New release: the Evil Castle

Discussion, Reviews & High-scores

Moderator: Moderators

orion70
VICtalian

New release: the Evil Castle

Post by orion70 »

Hi there,
Here is a small game for VIC-20 expanded with 16K RAM.
It's a classic text-only RPG/adventure, in which you are a knight with the mission to enter an enchanted castle, defeat monsters, and find the secret exit.

It was developed in pure BASIC, as a modification of a type-in adapted to the VIC, with slightly modified rules, map, and room descriptions. Humble effort, compared to programming skills of other guys here. :oops:

I saved it onto a tap image, and created also a brief separate introduction ("ec intro" on the tape), coming on screen with a tele-type style, to add some eighties flavour.

For further details, please read the enclosed instructions in pdf format.
I hope you will have fun playing this as I did programming it; feel free to modify it or correct errors if you find some.

I also created a new post in the "VIC-20 releases of 2008", General Topics section.
Last edited by orion70 on Tue May 27, 2008 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
d0c
Vic 20 Devotee

Post by d0c »

istnt it possible to make an d64 image??
1983 vic20 & 3k-16k ram expansion....
ral-clan
plays wooden flutes

Post by ral-clan »

Thanks! I love this genre.
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

A text adventure should play as well on an emulator, right? I guess I don't have to wait for the weekend to enjoy this.
High Scores, Links, and Jeff's Basic Games page.
gklinger
Vic 20 Elite

Post by gklinger »

2008 is shaping up so nicely. :)
In the end it will be as if nothing ever happened.
orion70
VICtalian

Post by orion70 »

Thank you guys.

I just received a couple of PMs from Mayhem - he will be so kind to include the game in the GB20.

He spotted some spelling errors (one in the intro: mistery instead of mystery) and at least two flaws in the game (your score increases as you repeat the "display score" command; you tend to lose weapons or the torch during fights a little too often).
Please, be patient and tell me if you find any error, so that I can correct them all together and provide a definitive version for you and the GB20.

@Jeff: no problem to run EC with VICE.

@d0c: download it here

@glinker: [digression] shaping up nicely, except for some continuous fights between certain members of the forum :cry: What if we ALL focus on the VIC-20? And remember it's a FRIENDLY computer? [/digression]
Last edited by orion70 on Tue May 27, 2008 1:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
d0c
Vic 20 Devotee

Post by d0c »

thanks orion70 :) and also remember to release a disk version of the "definitive version" here at denial...
orion70
VICtalian

Post by orion70 »

On the last (rainy) weekend, being free from any business, I modified the Evil Castle as follows:

- Spelling correction;
- You don't drop the torch anymore during fights;
- You drop your weapon during fights less often, and only if you don't wear armor;
- The phrase "You hit the (monster)... but you miss him" (a logical non-sense) became "You hit the (monster)... but do no damage";
- Eliminated the score bug;
- Eliminated another major bug: monsters suffered a loss of 2 points even when you did no damage! It's little harder to defeat the strongest ones now.

I edited the corresponding thread in General Topics.
That's all folks.
Last edited by orion70 on Tue May 27, 2008 1:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
d0c
Vic 20 Devotee

Post by d0c »

thanks for the much needed update :)
Mayhem
High Bidder

Post by Mayhem »

That seems better balanced now... one extra suggestion, how about earning some cash when you defeat a monster? Given the treasure is randomly placed, you may luck out and not have enough money to buy some food to regain some health after a tough fight.
Lie with passion and be forever damned...
orion70
VICtalian

Post by orion70 »

Great suggestion... I will take note and put it in EC_Rev2 as soon as I have at least one or two more things to fix. Thank you! :wink:
MacbthPSW
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by MacbthPSW »

I'm really behind on my C= hobbies so I won't get a chance to try this for a while; but congrats on the release, it's exciting to see yet another new game this year :)
orion70
VICtalian

Post by orion70 »

Thank you. As I wrote, it's a humble basic (in both senses) text game, but... happy to contribute. :D

BTW, if anyone needs the map, just PM me (but most of the game fun is to find out how to get to the exit room).
orion70
VICtalian

Post by orion70 »

Evil Castle Rev_2 up and running. Main changes:

- Changed completely the color combinations. It looked pretty good before in VICE, but I realized it was awful on the real VIC; so, I turned to white background and darker characters.
- You earn cash when you defeat a monster. You'll know how much when you meet him; the stronger the foe, the higher your reward.
- When you have the sword AND the axe, you fight with both of them at the same time. This gives you a little advantage...
- ...but you can always lose them during the fight, UNLESS you wear the armor.
- Strength lost and current strength points are always specified.
- Two lines of credits at the beginning (yes, I'm so vain...).
- I created a cassette cover for the virtual tape (completely unuseful, but I had fun with it).

Download links:

TAP VERSION

DISK VERSION (no intro)

MANUAL

CASSETTE COVER

All links in other threads updated.

Cheers :wink:
ral-clan
plays wooden flutes

Post by ral-clan »

orion70 wrote:- I created a cassette cover for the virtual tape (completely unuseful, but I had fun with it).
No! Not useless at all. The cover really sets the mood that it's a real VIC-20 game just like back in the 1980s!