What was your first Vic game and what Vic games you had?

Discussion, Reviews & High-scores

Moderator: Moderators

Empa Kendo
Vic 20 Amateur

Post by Empa Kendo »

My first game was a tape game from Llamasoft: "Traxx".
Games were hard to find, so I bought whatever was in the stores: Radar Rat Race, Loderunner (great) and Adventureland.

Ironically a pirate mail-order shop supplied me with many great games which were nowhere in the stores: defenda, bongo, nightcrawler, gridrunner and sidewinder.

Keeping up with my friends C64 game collection (totally pirated) became harder and harder.
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

Yeah, my big brother also bought a Datassette the same day as he bought the VIC, but from two different stores as far as I recall. I don't know if one store had a better price on the tape recorder, or if the other store just were out of C2N's. I know that the guy in the store who sold the VIC had to run to a third store and snatch a User's Manual, as they had promised one would be included (normally you'd buy the manual separately) and they didn't have a manual themselves. While I don't own this particular VIC-20 anymore, I still have all the original receipts.

As I do own one complete, boxed VIC-20 (old style), I suppose one day I could sell it and include the receipts for the other machine. At least as long as the buyer doesn't question who bought a two-prong VIC-20 brand new in 1984... :-D
Anders Carlsson

Image Image Image Image Image
ravenxau
Vic 20 Devotee

Post by ravenxau »

VIC AVENGER and Car Chase - the I discovered tape trading :D
PaulQ
undead vic

Post by PaulQ »

ravenxau wrote:VIC AVENGER and Car Chase - the I discovered tape trading :D
It's a little off-topic, but you should know that Tripod sucks for hosting avitars. :lol:
Mayhem
High Bidder

Post by Mayhem »

Hmm realised not posted in here... can't remember exactly what games my brother's gf had when handing over the Vic-20, but it defo had Ski, something by Rabbit Software, Tower of Doom perhaps (which I couldn't play as they had no memory expansions!), a Llamasoft game, and a few others which escape me.

As you see, things have spiralled a bit since then ;)
Lie with passion and be forever damned...
ravenxau
Vic 20 Devotee

Post by ravenxau »

DigitalQuirk wrote:
ravenxau wrote:VIC AVENGER and Car Chase - then I discovered tape trading :D
It's a little off-topic, but you should know that Tripod sucks for hosting avitars. :lol:

crap - i never noticed that tripod stuffed up my avatar - any suggestions for a better place to store it?
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

I'll host it... for now you are a Goomba! :lol:
High Scores, Links, and Jeff's Basic Games page.
Victragic
Frogger '07

Post by Victragic »

I had a VIC with no accessories for about 3 months, which was great because I had no other use for it other than to learn BASIC programming.. pity I couldn't save anything though.. I did have a book 'Creepy Computer Games' which had some fairly short basic games that I would type in and play..

By Xmas I had Vic Avenger, Road Race, Vic-21 (Basic prog on tape!), Pirate's Cove, a datasette and an Atari joystick.. and Intro to Programming part 1

By the end I also had
Gorf
Omega Race
Raid on Isram (excellent unexpanded Scramble game on cassette)
Raid on Fort Knox
Jupiter Lander
Cosmic Cruncher
Sea Wolf
Snapshot (unexpanded Basic cassette - 'archery')
Amok! (The local computer dealer gave this to me for free!)
Lemans (mostly Basic game for unexpanded Vic)
Some educational game where you have a rocket that math probs keep firing at (I've seen it on Denial homepage) (also a freebie)
Another Space Invaders clone for unexpanded VIC, all the graphics were all in white on a blue background.. (another freebie)

And a Super Expander +3k cartridge, for which I had an excellent type-in 'Wizard of Wor' game

I'm sure there were more but escape my memory just now...

As well as many 'type-in' books and magazine articles, which I wish I had kept.. one of them had 'Richtofen's Revenge' on it, which took about 9 basic programs to enter the machine language, and then merged them all together.. this was a Compute! book, forget the name of it but I had a lot of respect for the quality of their programs and articles
3^4 is 81.0000001
ravenxau
Vic 20 Devotee

Post by ravenxau »

Jeff-20 wrote:I'll host it... for now you are a Goomba! :lol:
Cheers jeff! :D
ssjlance
super saiya-jin

Post by ssjlance »

I didn't get a VIC-20 until November 18, 2006 (day before the Wii was released in the U.S.) but the first game I was ever interested in was Avenger. It was the most blatant Space Invaders ripoff I had (and have) ever seen. So I bought a lot of games that came with it, Sea Wolf, Jupiter Lander, two adventure games, pinball, and one or two more. Needless to say, I booted Avenger first, and it was great.

Also, if you want to get technical, my first game for the VIC was one I made. I am a huge fan of anime, with particular regards to Dragonball Z, so I made a program that would calculate your power level. I remember that near the end of the show, most characters power levels were in the millions. Mine was 5 :shock:
Ivanhoe76
Vic 20 Devotee

Post by Ivanhoe76 »

My very first vic game was the unbelievable "Night Rider" also known in italy as "Road Race"... I played this game for much long time.... then, "Salmon Run", the greates "Choplifter", "Krazy kong", "Bongo" and for last (in order of time) "Skyblazer" and "AE".... I cannot forget the long time passed playing with "outworld" and "Phantom attack" that I consider some kind of "melting" (excuse the wrong use of the verb) game: in effect we (me, my brother, my cousins and my friends male and FEMALE :D :D :D!! ) use to meet in the rainy afternoons to play that games.... what bliss memories!!!!
No one should tolerate death and violence because tolerance will generate habit.
DanSolo
Vic 20 Dabbler

Post by DanSolo »

Hmmm, all a bit hazy... I think it was Adventureland, which at the time I didn't think was very exciting (I have since atoned for my sins). Arcadia made my jaw drop, and I think it was Hellgate where I accidentally (honest) sent £1 too little to to Mr Minter to pay for P+P. I think his mother did the mailing back then in 1982. Anyway I got a handwritten note to that effect.
I feel somewhat guilty that I still owe Jeff Minter £1. :(
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

I think Jeff Minter is among the most reachable of the former era of video game programmers (still active today) so it should be able to find him and transfer £1 or so. He'd probably have a laugh.
Anders Carlsson

Image Image Image Image Image
Kweepa
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by Kweepa »

The first Vic game we had was Commodore's Alien cartridge.

I think the only other commercial game we had was Imagine's Arcadia. That got played much more than Alien, despite requiring a load from tape. Galaxia by Romik looks like a more polished version of the same game, but I can't find a ROM to see.

Then there was a game that I must have typed into the Vic 20 times from Your Computer magazine. I tried to find it in the World of Spectrum archives, but no luck. Plus some *lame* games that I wrote myself.

I remember playing a lot of Catcha Snatcha around at a friend's house. I'd moved on to a BBC micro before the concept of a computer game rental shop made it to our neighbourhood.

PS
Has anyone typed any of these in from the World of Spectrum archives?
ftp://ftp.worldofspectrum.org/pub/sincl ... rComputer/
Breakout: Apr 82 p71
Alien Arcade: Apr 82 p77
Tank Battle: May 82 p34
Mars: Jun 82 p40
Catacombs: Oct 82 p56
Minotaur: Feb 83 p64
Change Goals: Feb 83 p123
3d Maze: Feb 83 p125
SAS Assault: Dec 83 p186
Dodgems: Dec 83 p212
Vicman: Jan 84 p94
Letter Drop: Jan 84 p122
Pin Ball: Jan 84 p180
Millipod: Feb 84 p81
Footballer: Feb 84 p179
Labyrinth: Apr 84 p133
Dogfight: May 84 p96
Moon Land: May 84 p171
The Sirius Grid: May 84 p175
Jet Man: Jul 84 p82
Robot Attack: Sep 84 p96
Guess-Who-Man: Sep84 p157
Track Chase: Oct 84 p98
Apple Drop: Oct 84 p175
Elevators: Nov 84 p93
Swoosh: Nov 84 p184
Or know where I can find the missing issues from 82-83? I have them in a box in my parents' attic...
Ian Colquhoun
Vic 20 Hobbyist

Post by Ian Colquhoun »

I was making TAPs of a bunch of my old VIC-20 tapes last night and that got me thinking about this topic. I remember playing 2 games quite clearly on a friend's VIC before I got mine. One was Cosmic Cruncher and the other was this game. Does anybody have an idea the proper name for it? I've never known all these years as it was just a copy on a no-name tape.
Realms of Mystery BBS
bbs.pipesup.ca 6400
(currently offline)