Discussion, Reviews & High-scores

Moderator: Moderators

Boray
Musical Smurf

Trader (24 Oct 2004)

Post by Boray »

TRADER

- A space action adventure!
(Sorry, I have no pictures as it won't run on vic-emu on Amiga)

Download:
http://home.worldonline.se/boray/datormuseum/trader.zip

Requires 16K expansion ram and a diskdrive.

This game has a total size of 50kb, imagine that! (in three parts). I converted it from tape today and put in a few fixes for NTSC so I hope it will work for everyone now. I remember how exciting I found this game, and I remember the really long loading times on the tape... But that's just a memory now when it's converted to disk. ;) I have never liked text adventure games, but this is something quite different. It has more graphics than text and it has parts where you have to steer the ship etc. And no commands you have to figure out etc, the story flows on by itself. Sort of like "It came from the desert" on Amiga. It will be handy to have a calculator and a piece of paper to write up all the things you buy and sell on your space adventure. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do. Has anyone else played this game before?

How to load:

Make sure you have 16Kb of expansion ram (in standard block 1&2).

LOAD "TRADER1",8
RUN

(The other parts are loaded automatically)

Good luck!

/Anders
PRG Starter - a VICE helper / Vic Software (Boray Gammon, SD2IEC music player, Vic Disk Menu, Tribbles, Mega Omega, How Many 8K etc.)
vic user
VicGyver

Post by vic user »

cool!

a space game... right up my alley!

i only played up until the Psi aliens took my ship and sent me home :)

be nice to find a bit of time to sit down and play this.

nice to play it on a real vic too!

chris
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

vic user wrote: i only played up until the Psi aliens took my ship and sent me home :)
Has never happened to me (I think) - they must have disliked your brain patterns. ;) I usually get killed in part 3. I think I have finished the whole game only once...

/Anders
PRG Starter - a VICE helper / Vic Software (Boray Gammon, SD2IEC music player, Vic Disk Menu, Tribbles, Mega Omega, How Many 8K etc.)
vic user
VicGyver

Post by vic user »

i was not paying attention, so when the questions came up, i screwed up all of them i think :)

i do not know if the whole game is going to be like this, but it is nice to see aliens merely send me home rather than shooting me

i really enjoy all the cinematics, if you can call them that.

looks like a massive amount of work wnet into the game

i hope my duaghter gets into it!
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

Didn't anyone try this game (except for Chris), or why the silence??? I did put in a bit of work to convert it from tape to disk and make it NTSC compatible... I thought people would like the game... but maybe I was wrong then....

/Anders
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

I admit I haven't had a chance yet because both my vic and PC are not speaking (I disconnected my xe1541 cable and never got around to putting it back and my vic is buried under some junk). I read the description and I am eager to try it. But I admit I haven't actually used the vic in almost a month.
Please don't think we do not appreciate the contribution to the community.
High Scores, Links, and Jeff's Basic Games page.
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

Same here, a combination of busy, lazy and lack of inspiration. But I'll try it some day, maybe for Christmas. :wink:
Anders Carlsson

Image Image Image Image Image
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

Ok ;)
Bacon
for breakfast

Post by Bacon »

Haven't been in this part of the forum in a while, so I didn't see it until now. Will try it very soon!
Bacon
-------------------------------------------------------
Das rubbernecken Sichtseeren keepen das cotton-pickenen Hands in die Pockets muss; relaxen und watschen die Blinkenlichten.
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

As I promised, I would try this game before the end of April, thus only six months after Boray posted it. Today is April 30th, so I spent some time..

Wonderful atmosphere and cinematics, as Chris calls it. At first it seems too much story telling and too little interaction, but as the game goes on, the user gets more involved. Still it is a little too much "sit back and enjoy" for me to be a game I would play regularly.

At first attempt, I got to Delta, almost making my way through the automap back to the ship when the shots in the gun were out and I was drunk (?) to death. It seems the way the maze is layouted, that it depends only on how many shots you find in the gun if you will survive or not, i.e. there are no alternative ways to get by. The automap maze also seems slow at reacting - maybe on purpose - and is a big let-down on the game.

On second attempt, I made my way back to the home planet and sold off the remaining cargo (only raw fuel). After paying back the initial 1000 credits I ended with a profit of 705 credits.

Conclusion: A neat game, that gives the impression to be more complex than it is. Graphically high score despite character graphics, but playability brings down the average score to about 6/10.

So, what is the light year distance from Earth to Psi? Maybe it is a question that doesn't have an answer.
Anders Carlsson

Mayhem
High Bidder

Post by Mayhem »

I played this recently as I acquired an original of it. Not too bad actually...
Lie with passion and be forever damned...
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

A little long wait but a nice review! :)

/Anders
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

The introduction reminds me of Dromeda. Very cool. I love games with great atmosphere. I had hoped Dromeda would be followed by a game. I am not very good with my own finances, so I am fearful of games like this. The alien asking questions in part one is just GREAT. Lovely start, but I have only really checked out part 1. I will write more as I play more.
High Scores, Links, and Jeff's Basic Games page.
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

BTW, I have used the March 1984 issue of Your Computer as bed reading the last few days, in search for any commercial VIC-20 mentions. As you know, the VIC was dwindling back then and press already wrote about the upcoming 264 and 364 series six months later.

Anyway, in that issue was a small advertisment for a software reseller who had Trader by Pixel Productions. Their price was £12, equal to The Hobbit or Valhalla (on other formats), or twice the price for most other software. Trader is cute, but if would sell for that money I dunno.

Otherwise the number of mentions are few, Llamasoft has a full page advertisment with Metagalactic Llamas and a few other VIC/64 titles. Spectrum, the UK computer chain not to be confused with Sinclair Spectrum, had a sell-out of cartridges; four assorted VIC-20 cartridges for £20. Most are common by todays standards.

Most amazingly is that Commodore (UK) has a two-page middle magazine advertisment about how useful the VIC-20 is - every family member finds use for it, from grandmother to the kids. A lot of the productivity and educational titles mentioned I've never heard about before or after. One would have supposed it was C64 they advertised as such in March 1984, but it is our trusty VIC.
Anders Carlsson

oracle_jedi
Vic 20 Amateur

Re: Trader (24 Oct 2004)

Post by oracle_jedi »

Is there anywhere to download Boray's zip file? The link is broken :(

I have the D64 image of Trader, but after Part 1 it still expects to load from tape. Also the version I have is not modified for NTSC.