Replacement Keyboard Key and Joystick Question

Modding and Technical Issues

Moderator: Moderators

jbuonacc
Vic 20 Hobbyist

Post by jbuonacc »

i don't know the details off-hand, but check the pin-outs. i remember some guys being very vocal about the fact that MS/Genesis controllers are wired differently. something about sending +5v where it shouldn't?

i've used them as well, and have had no problems for the most part. after reading more info, i stopped using them.
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

According to various resources, the pinouts differ as follows:

Code: Select all

Pin  Dir  MD-SelL  MD-SelH  At2600  At7800   MSX     VIC-20
-----------------------------------------------------------
 1   <--  Up       Up       Up      Up       Up      Up
 2   <--  Down     Down     Down    Down     Down    Down
 3   <--  Ground   Left     Left    Left     Left    Left
 4   <--  Ground   Right    Right   Right    Right   Right
 5   -->  +5VDC    +5VDC    N/C     But R    +5VDC   Pot Y
 6   <--  But A    But B    Fire    But R+L  But A   Fire/LP
 7   -->  Select   Select   N/C     N/C      But B   +5VDC
 8   ---  Ground   Ground   Ground  Ground   Output  Ground
 9   <--  Start    But C    N/C     But L    Ground  Pot X
I believe the MSX entry is wrong somehow, or otherwise Output acts like a ground. Anyway, I don't know what happens if you enable the SELECT pin on a SMS/MD pad, as it seems to be connected to the same pin that on the VIC-20 outputs +5V. Actually I thought all these systems would have +5V on the same pin, but it appears not.. hm.
Anders Carlsson

Image Image Image Image Image
eslapion
ultimate expander

Post by eslapion »

carlsson wrote:According to various resources, the pinouts differ as follows:
The atari 2600 connections you have listed in there appears to differ from the real thing.

The Atari 2600 is actually compatible with Commodore paddles and vice-versa so the PotX PotY connections should be the same as the VIC.

Also, the Wico trackball works on the 64, the atari 2600 and the VIC and it draws +5V power on the same pin on all 3 machines.
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

Hm, ok. While I know the 2600 uses paddles, I had the distinctive feeling they were not compabible with the Commodore. Or maybe it is that they have a different output range, but technically work?
Anders Carlsson

Image Image Image Image Image
MacbthPSW
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by MacbthPSW »

carlsson wrote:Hm, ok. While I know the 2600 uses paddles, I had the distinctive feeling they were not compabible with the Commodore. Or maybe it is that they have a different output range, but technically work?
Yeah, one type of paddles has twice the resistance that the other does. I can't remember which way. Hmmm, I think it mattered most to users of Paul Slocum's Cynthcart for the C-64. You could get much finer control with a set of real Commodore paddles than if you used Atari 2600 paddles - like, the usable range of motion is much larger on the Commodore paddles.