Poll: What do you do for a living?

Discuss anything related to the VIC
Centallica
Pinballer

Post by Centallica »

jbuonacc wrote:i currently assemble and repair circuit boards/assemblies for a major government communications contractor here in Rochester (ie - i solder boards all day long for a living). not sure how long i'll be there though, they don't seem to place much value on employee worth. :)

i plan to study EE and computer programming (8-bit only, of course ;) ), and i must say that i'm further encouraged by Eslapion's experiences.

i've also been quite involved in electronic music/synths/drum machines/samplers/etc for the past ten years or so. this is actually what led me to the C64/Vic-20 in the first place.

i hope to become a valuable asset to the C64/Vic-20 community over the next few years, as long as i'm able to get my shit together...

:)
jbuonacc-Seems like 6502dude could use you for a weekend when the MEGACART is done to assemble them :P Kidding bet that's the last thing you want to do after a long week of doing it, but man that skill is huge in this hobby to solder a kit to perfection is an art :wink:

I hope you contribute your thoughts and conversations more within the group 8)

BTW Rochester is only 3 1/2 hours from my place (I attend the Gameroom Expo there in Rochester every Spring) and if you're up for my Retro Party next weekend let me know (see thread about it elsewhere)...
Centallica
Pinballer

Post by Centallica »

ral-clan wrote:
Centallica wrote:I work with everyone but specialize in foreign trained professionals. Last count I've counselled people from 77 different countries and learn about their culture, working in their country and have a life changing impact on families helping them into their careers here in Canada!
I have a friend who does this in Calgary, Centallica. I can't remember if I heard it from him, or if I heard it on a CBC radio show, but I've heard that highly qualified immigrants who just can't get an interview when they use their real name (like "M'butu" or "Muhammed") sometimes change their name on the resume to "John" or "Robert" or "Judy" and they get called right away!

That's kind of sad.
Ralcan-The whole resume actually needs to be re-vamped to speak on a Canadian level. Employers are affraid of making a wrong hiring decision and don't know what people's education and positions are like in another country and fear communication barriers.

Believe it or not some employers if they can't pronounce your name at the top of the resume will go onto the next one in the pile of 300 :shock: The longest first name I had was 17 letters long :shock: So a short version of their name works better. BTW the Chinese guy who I got the job for his AKA was Travis.
jbuonacc
Vic 20 Hobbyist

Post by jbuonacc »

Centallica wrote: jbuonacc-Seems like 6502dude could use you for a weekend...
hell, if there's any way that i can be of use to someone please let me know. minuscule surface-mount components are a specialty, thru-hole is second nature. :)

man, your party sounds like a blast! unfortunately there's almost no possible way for me to attend. :( i would love to make it up there some day to meet you guys.
gklinger
Vic 20 Elite

Post by gklinger »

Can you make it up on December 1st for the World of Commodore? It is going to be a lot of fun. We've been chatting about it here.
In the end it will be as if nothing ever happened.
AmiDog
Vic 20 Newbie

Post by AmiDog »

I'm a software engineer and currently maintain and improve C# ASP.NET web apps for a living. I do have some non-web assignments as well, but don't have much time for them currently.
Victragic
Frogger '07

Post by Victragic »

Hey,

I'm a mature-age student studying Accounting/Law.. my part-time job involves inspecting and surveying Chevrolets that are being shipped to the middle East (and shortly to the US, under Pontiac badges I believe)..

..previously worked as an analyst for a large government department that made IT-style products for their 1970s IBM mainframe. Most of the people who called themselves 'programmers' had no training and no knowledge of even common languages like VB or C++, they could merely string a few lines of HLLAPI together. Thus I usually ended up just coding my own work until I realised it was silly to do two people's work, and so I left to pursue other interests..
3^4 is 81.0000001
PaulQ
undead vic

Post by PaulQ »

Time to revive an old thread, 'cause I've decided to come out of retirement. ;)

Currently, I own and operate my own business, DigitalQuirk Solutions. This is my second business; the first one a successful computer service and repair business, specializing in the Amiga computer, in partner with a friend back when I was in College - it ended when we graduated and went our own ways. As such, I've always had an entrepreneurial streak in me. My web site explains my new venture:

http://digitalquirk.ca

It started out as a hobby; a bit of a time-waster and a way to write off taxes (in case someone reports me...:lol:). That's when I noticed the demand for this type of service. So, I figured, what the hey; I like doing this kind of work, and I get to be my own boss. I'm pretty much doing this full time now. I figured I'd come up with a web site, and I'll probably do some advertising to maintain a good supply of clients in the future. Who knows; I may get busy enough to have to hire someone.

The only drawback is my wife, who's a successful professional fitness assessor, trainer, and facility supervisor, is saddened that I don't get to cook as much (yet another hobby of mine). As much as I like to cook up great dishes, I like to keep it as a hobby.
eslapion
ultimate expander

Post by eslapion »

I am now doing electrical engineering on a power distribution system.

I monitor and take the necessary action to keep in good order electrical motors rated up to 400HP.
Be normal.
Mikam73
2049er

Post by Mikam73 »

Computer support and projects at customers.
davidv_
Vic 20 Hobbyist

Post by davidv_ »

President and virtual synthesizer senior programmer at www.plogue.com
Luzur
Vic 20 Hobbyist

Post by Luzur »

been doing nothing since last september, since i was laid off from my former joba s a...wait for it.....LUMBERJACK! :D

yes it is true, i worked as a lumberjack for the state.
"Are you keeping up with Commodore? cuz Commodore is keeping up with you!" ;)

Bacon
for breakfast

Post by Bacon »

I'm a lumberjack and I'm OK, I sleep all night and I work all day...

:D
Bacon
-------------------------------------------------------
Das rubbernecken Sichtseeren keepen das cotton-pickenen Hands in die Pockets muss; relaxen und watschen die Blinkenlichten.
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

Ventriloquist.

Just kidding. Still the same ol' job.
High Scores, Links, and Jeff's Basic Games page.
Commander#1
Vic 20 Drifter

Re: Poll: What do you do for a living?

Post by Commander#1 »

Jeff-20 wrote:I know it is a personal question, but what do you do for a living? I am just curious as to how this hobby relates/influences your chosen careers, jobs, professions. Anyone work in the tech industry?

Use to. After High School, went to Collage to be a cop. Right in the middle of things, Viet Nam "exploded" and I lost my
deferment. The 'on campus' V.A. recruiter said "calm down. You didn't do ANYthing wrong. 80% of the guys on this
campus received that same letter!" - OOPS!! - someone needs cannon fodder. The only way to legally beat the draft was
to enlist - which I did - with the intention of going into the Military Police to further my 'career'. Along the way, I -
unintentionally - scored high enough marks on my entrance exams to put me in the top 10% of the inductees. Which got the
attention of the recruiter for the Army Security Agency. I figured since I'm going to put 4 years in some where, let's see
what this yah-hoo has to offer. Electronic eaves-dropping. Interesting!! That was my introduction to electronics. Military/
industrial electronics. After my tour, I completed my police training (A.S. degree in Police Science), but then, had second
thoughts about that career. So I began to think about where would that electronics take me. WOW! What a change.
Picked up my electronic maintenance at a vocational/tech school - hired on with Ma Bell (when it WAS Ma Bell) for a while
(that got me out into the high desert of Calif.), then spent 14 years with Bendix Field Engineering Corp. as an Electronic
Tech in the Manned Space Flight Program - Ground Support Facility known as Goldstone Tracking Complex. Ever since
I was in the military, I worked on building a very large model boat. Now I had a chance to start working on it's brain. What I
came up with was a large number of cams and switches on a long shaft turned by a timing motor. This was getting a bit
unwieldy. Wouldn't you know it, at about that time one of the guys was selling his VIC-20 in order to upgrade!! After
looking at it for a little bit, I began to realize that instead of adding more cams and switches to the brain, I could do every-
thing with a program. This was looking great!! Everybody else was trying to make lots of nice things happen on the SCREEN.
I wanted to make nice things happen OUTSIDE of the computer - and that user's port looked like just what I needed. And it
was!! I just needed to learn how to program it. That didn't look hard at all. And it wasn't. I kept a notebook of my trials
- and errors (so that I wouldn't repeat them) - of what worked and didn't work - and why! Figuring out the 'why' is where I
gained the most knowledge. Anyway, relations between the Company and the Union (it was a union shop) were going
down hill and I didn't care for that. I learned a lot about taperecorders, telemetry, slow scan and standard scan t.v.
systems and even some antenna drive systems, along with level 3 proficiency in N.A.S.A. hand soldering, but, the work
environment was still not good, so, I got out. Went back to school for Remotely Operated Vehicles (underwater robots).
Joined up with Oceaneering Int. as an E.T. in their unmanned submersibles division. There's a lot that goes on in
2500 ft. of water out in the Gulf of Mexico on a drill ship. I inadvertently discovered the ship had a problem with one of their
computers. So, I told them about it. Since I was not part of the ships company but a service company assigned to the
ship, alot of people started jumping up and down and waving their arms a lot. O.K., so I'm not suppose to touch ANY of their
computers again! That's fine. During the next rotation out to the ship, I quietly checked out that computer - and yes, they
fixed it. Here's where my stupidity at times amazes even me. I opened my big mouth about it. It is also amazing how fast
one can lose a CAREER (let alone a job!) in such a situation. I believe the term used was "disobeying a direct order while off
shore". Worked the crew boats for a while because of that. Deckhand/assistant boat engineer - what ever was available.
On my way back to Calif. the next Christmas, my car quit in Albuquerque, New Mexico. Fine!! (amongst other thoughts). Got
a job through a temporary agency stuffing boards with electronic parts at Digital Equipment Corp. Every day for two years I
had to show up at that place to see if I still had a job. They were instituting 'just in time' production techniques -
meaning - any hiccup any where in the system sent people home for the day - or three - or what ever. Which included - say
- the delivery truck was late due to traffic - the whole line was sent home. A few times of this and I went looking in other areas
to see if they needed help. And sure enough, there were some areas that needed people. I proved I could do the job so they
moved me from stuffing boards to assembling hard drive memory boxes - and - in the process acquired certification as a level
3 manufacturing tech. Oh, well - after two years, all of the temps - including me - were unceremoniously dumped onto the
street. That was more than 100 people in less than an hour. No explanations. They went back and hired other temps.
I thought that was a little strange. Anyway, drove a bus for a while. Got enough money together to finish coming out to
Calif. Visited Albuquerque a couple of years later when my younger brother past away - he lived in near by Rio Rancho.
The building that housed DEC. was all boarded up and all the nice lawns around the place were nothing but piles of weeds.
There were even weeds growing out in the parking lot. So sad. After driving limo's for a while, I went back to school to
be a toolmaker (re-training compliments of the great state of Calif.). This at 51 years of age (a veteran's benefit, no less!!).
Did my 4 years of apprenticeship to become a journeyman toolmaker and as of this year am officially retired. You know, I
am still working as hard as before - I'm just not getting paid like I use to!!

ACHTUNG

Das machinen is nicht fur gerfingerpoken und mittengraben. Is easy
schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppen corken mit
spitzensparken. Ist nicht fur gerwerken by das dummkopfen. Keepen
das hands in das pockets, relaxen und watchen das blinkenlights!!!

Thanks for hearing me out -

Phil Potter.
Last edited by Commander#1 on Wed Apr 22, 2009 5:25 am, edited 3 times in total.
The earth is - oh my gosh - ROUND ! !
rhurst
Omega Star Commander

Post by rhurst »

Worked information technology my entire adult life... started at the age of 19 as a Computer Programmer in a manufacturer's data processing department using DEC PDP-11/44, RSTS/E, BASIC, DIBOL and RSX assembler. Spent the last 24-years serving every capacity in IT -- from desktop tech support to corporate director of technology -- my details are kept online.

Today, I am a senior systems engineer providing UNIX/Linux infrastructure support for Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center in Boston. I road-mapped the strategy of moving off of proprietary UNIX hardware to Linux solutions running on IBM BladeCenter, with an emphasis on high availability and disaster recovery using clustering and virtual machine technologies. We have their core clinical systems already in production these past 2-years, and the rest will be completed this and next year.

Despite the challenges and material gains of those experiences, my first and lasting passion lies within computer programming. Applications, games, any sort of software invention gets my attention.
Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced.
https://robert.hurst-ri.us/rob/retrocomputing