New VIC dreams

Discuss anything related to the VIC
Victragic
Frogger '07

Post by Victragic »

I give Radio Shack about 2 years before they finally go belly up. Tandy's in Australia sold out to it's competitors about 4 years ago.

I think they want your address so they can send their CEO around to personally and individually thank you for actually visiting their store.

Didn't they once give batteries away for free in the US?

-G
3^4 is 81.0000001
gklinger
Vic 20 Elite

Post by gklinger »

I guess I'm the only person here that watched Seinfeld (the Radio Shack line was a joke from the show). Nevermind.
In the end it will be as if nothing ever happened.
Ian Colquhoun
Vic 20 Hobbyist

Post by Ian Colquhoun »

DQ: Keep in mind Radio Shack only disappeared here in Canada. South of the border they're still alive.

gklinger: Nope... I watched, and got it. 8)
Realms of Mystery BBS
bbs.pipesup.ca 6400
(currently offline)
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

Wasn't Radio Shack about to re-open again in Canada, competing with the old RS (now The Source)?

Regarding getting your address, it reminds me of a blog I read recently. Some girl had bought a new Dell computer, which she had tons of problems with. Getting customer support through phone and email led to nothing, so she begun to express her despair through her blog. It didn't take long before a top representative from Dell emailed her, asking how they could help her to make her a satisfied customer. :shock: Apparently, they have bots or live people scanning the 'Net for blogs, forums and other places where people write in bad words about the company. The representative also striked a very personal tone in his letter, like they already were good friends.

Ok, this has not so much to do with dreams. I can't recall so much of my dreams lately, but several days in a row I have awoken with a back pain, that hopefully goes away during the day.
Anders Carlsson

Image Image Image Image Image
ral-clan
plays wooden flutes

Post by ral-clan »

Yeah, we had another thread about six months ago about Radio Shack being back in Canada. They even have a web-site (www.radioshack.ca).

I didn't dream about it though! Perhaps we should get back to discussing dreams now...
dave01253
Vic 20 Dabbler

Post by dave01253 »

I had a vic dream last night. I had a friend who brought a vic round to my house that had a 3d accelerator chip. He was playing ridge racer. He then showed me some demo stuff with swirly lines and circles, all fast 3d, but all in vic colours and resolution.

I was disappointed when I woke.
ral-clan
plays wooden flutes

Post by ral-clan »

Whoah, it seems Radio Shack's return to Canada has totally failed:

http://www.radioshack.ca/

Sorry for this brief transgression from the dream discussion.
PaulQ
undead vic

Post by PaulQ »

Ian Colquhoun wrote:DQ: Keep in mind Radio Shack only disappeared here in Canada. South of the border they're still alive.

gklinger: Nope... I watched, and got it. 8)
I know that; I still call it Radio Shack. I still go in there now and then, but it's not the same anymore. I remember reading through the catalog, looking at the prices of things like segmented LED readouts, and discovering they actually sold such a thing as a flux capacitor. All I needed back then was a DeLorean; the local Radio Shack would supply the rest.
Victragic
Frogger '07

Post by Victragic »

dave01253 wrote:I had a friend who brought a vic round to my house that had a 3d accelerator chip. He was playing ridge racer.
Now there's an idea for a conversion - did you play it with paddles? :)
3^4 is 81.0000001
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

Reviving an old thread. I saw one of Leo's posts about whether he had dreamed about a speech cartridge, and it reminded me I had some new VIC-20 related dreams last week. Again, I was in a store and they had shelves full of old software, mostly unheard of. I was picking between a few different titles, as I couldn't buy them all. What was different from earlier dreams is that since a few weeks ago (in real life), I also own an Atari 130XE and a Philips VG-8235 MSX2. I have been eBay shopping a handful loose MSX games recently, which reflected my dream: in this dream I did not only look for VIC-20 games, but also Atari and MSX titles, just about as unheard of as the other.

Please note that while I have owned a Commodore 64 since 1987-ish and Amiga 500/1200 since 1992, I can't recall a single dream looking for games for these systems. Is that a way my brain tells fun (VIC, Atari, MSX) systems from boring (C64, Amiga)? :lol:
Anders Carlsson

Victragic
Frogger '07

Post by Victragic »

Please note that while I have owned a Commodore 64 since 1987-ish and Amiga 500/1200 since 1992, I can't recall a single dream looking for games for these systems. Is that a way my brain tells fun (VIC, Atari, MSX) systems from boring (C64, Amiga)?

Mine usually revolve around Plus/4 and C16 software.. found in bargain bins in stores, or I'm in the house I grew up in..

Maybe the lack of software relative to the system also reflects in your dreams? I never got too excited about my C64 either, because there was just so much software available for it.. for the Plus/4 or Vic, any new release had to be considered seriously.
3^4 is 81.0000001
KilrPilr
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by KilrPilr »

This is amazing. I went looking for this thread as I was going to mention a dream I had last night and there it is! great stuff.

Ok this time im back in value village again. I head over to the area where they hang baggies of electronics stuff except of course this store is laid out like no other VV ive been in (dreams are wierd).

Anyways I happen to spot a plain white vic cart hanging there and start browsing around it to see what else is there. First thing i see is a long yellow vic 20 cart that mentions it is 3 games in 1 and then right behind it is another long blue cart that says its 3 games in 1.

I was quite excited and pulled them off the hooks and stuffed them under my arm. Then i notice a couple of c64 carts ive never heard of and grab them as well. Then searching all around the area I dont find anymore.

So i start heading to the till as i cant wait to buy these things and then i realize that the two multicarts are a bit narrow in width than the pirates cove cart i grabbed. I then realize what I thought I had read as vic was vc and the carts had nothing to do with the vic20 but were for some other system I had never seen before.

With much disapointment I turned around and placed the carts on a shelf. I then went back and bought the c64 carts . What a stinker of a dream. Here i thought i had found some cool never-heard-of-before multicarts and they turned out to be crap. Ah well, its still great to be dreaming of this cool little puter.
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

Maybe they were for the VC-20 as sold in Germany? :lol: As you probably know, there were some VIC carts whose housing is much smaller than normal, e.g. OEM and other brands, so unless you compared the card edge connector in your dream, you may have missed to buy them by mistake.
Anders Carlsson

KilrPilr
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by KilrPilr »

I remember thinking vc as in german vic but the vc was a part number and the cart was labeled for some other system. I just overlooked that part or it wasnt there when i initally grabbed the carts. Ah well, it was still a cool dream.
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

Hm, yes. Back to real life for a moment: were there any VIC cartridges released with VC numbers for the German market? I mean, if "vic" could be pronounced as a dirty word (depending on your dialect), they really couldn't sell VIC-1901 and so on? I happen to know that there exists VC-1540, VC-1541, VC-1020 etc which are the bigger (more expensive) peripherals, but were even cartridges renamed?
Anders Carlsson