Connect two C64 cartridgeports together? Why?

Other Computers and Game Systems

Moderator: Moderators

Mikam73
2049er

Connect two C64 cartridgeports together? Why?

Post by Mikam73 »

PaulQ
undead vic

Post by PaulQ »

As I mentioned in the Lemon forums, this appears to be a cable to be used with some sort of multi-cart expander.
gklinger
Vic 20 Elite

Post by gklinger »

I don't know about that. Don't you think the length of that cable would introduce too much noise on the bus?
In the end it will be as if nothing ever happened.
PaulQ
undead vic

Post by PaulQ »

I remember seeing ribbon cables used a lot for various computer peripherals in the 80's, including parallel printers and disk drives. I honestly don't know if it would introduce a significant amount of noise or not.

It occurs to me that this may also be the cable needed for using the Lt. Kernel hard drive system with the C64.
gklinger
Vic 20 Elite

Post by gklinger »

DigitalQuirk wrote:It occurs to me that this may also be the cable needed for using the Lt. Kernel hard drive system with the C64.
I know for sure it isn't one of those because a friend use to run his BBS on one. They use a standard SCSI cable.

Hrm. This is a toughie.
In the end it will be as if nothing ever happened.
ral-clan
plays wooden flutes

Post by ral-clan »

I don't think it's for a multi-cart expander. There was a ribbon cable (much shorter) used to connect the motherboard of the SX-64 with the cartridge port on the back of the chassis and it was notorious for introducing noise. They had to replace it with a etched circuit board.

Also, on the VIC's expansion board by Cardco (the only one with a ribbon extension cable) there are special chips to remedy this sort of problem.

Also, if it was an extension cable for cartridge ports, wouldn't it have to have a male connector at one and a female at the other?
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

Or maybe one C64 can act like a cartridge server, sending out data on the port for another C64 to receive? I can't remember how it works, but I doubt it does.
Anders Carlsson

Image Image Image Image Image