Just got a Nintendo 64

Other Computers and Game Systems

Moderator: Moderators

Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Just got a Nintendo 64

Post by Jeff-20 »

I just got a nintendo 64 with mario kart and mario party 3...

I am so disappointed.
High Scores, Links, and Jeff's Basic Games page.
vic user
VicGyver

Post by vic user »

do yourself a favour and get 'Golden eye'

ahh, what a game!

nhl 99 is amazing on the 64, if you like hockey that is
vic user
VicGyver

Post by vic user »

off topic from the n64, but two other great hockey games (in my opinion) is the original nhl2k for the dreamcaast, if you can handle the controls (you can use vintage jerseys and scoring is realistic) or nhl faceoff 2001 for the playstation 1. probably the best two player hockey game i have played so far.
Tonks
Vic 20 Amateur

Re Nintendo 64

Post by Tonks »

I agree. The N64 is a pretty poor system. The blury graphics and the huge amount of fog and popup just makes my eyes water. I have had an N64 for about 3 years and have approx 30 carts. There are very few I like to play, and apart from Wave Race, they are al available on other systems. About the only real advantage of a N64 is that my young kids can play Pokemon games all day and not scratch any of my disks.
Mayhem
High Bidder

Post by Mayhem »

Probably because a lot of people never got to see N64 graphics in proper RGB glory. The NTSC machine had to be modded to get it (as mine was) and the PAL machine couldn't do it full stop.

There is a wealth of great games out there, but the machine suffered in the wake of the "oh look pretty CD spooling FMV"ness of the PS1.

Just to say that there are plenty of examples of games on other systems at the time with fog and popup. It's entirely down to the skills of the coders. Rare for example, pushed the system to the limit and there is pretty much nothing out of place graphics wise in any of their games.

Then you get Aerogauge and Superman :shock: :idea:
Lie with passion and be forever damned...
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

Maybe Nintendo regretted a little that they didn't get a deal with Sony (if Sony's CEO had allowed it to happen, that is) about CD-based units?
Anders Carlsson

Image Image Image Image Image
Mayhem
High Bidder

Post by Mayhem »

As an add-on to the SNES here. Apparently it was Miyamoto who asked Yamauchi for the N64 to be on solid state to remove loading times for the early projects he was working on (including SM64). Except for that, I imagine Nintendo may well have made the N64 an optical based system too.

Now if they'd been able to achieve what they have quite successfully with the Cube (many of Nintendo's own games despite being on optical media have almost zero loading time) back then, who knows?!
Lie with passion and be forever damned...
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

I was excited to play mario kart after enjoying the gameboy version. The graphics in the n64 version are very blurry.

The controllers are very hard to get use to. I hate holding the center analog stick. It seems too crunched for adult hands and to large for a child's hands (and off balance for either). There is no option to use the more comfortable "plus" control! The option menu inly offeres stereo/mono choices.

The rumble pack requires batteries! The dreamcast and playstation rumble packs don't require anything. Also, there is NO rumble feature for Mario kart!
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

Without being racistic, maybe the controllers are designed for the hands of Japanese rather than people with other origins? :?
Anders Carlsson

Image Image Image Image Image
KilrPilr
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by KilrPilr »

I bought a cd64 at a swap meet and it is THE best addon for the N64. I have a pretty good collection of carts for it but this lets me play them all without having them. And only $20 too it was a steal (ended up being the 256Mb version!)

Leo
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

Now, this is not the 64DD...? Is this something I could find in HK?

Explain. Is this something I could get at Tototek. It tales forever to download 64 roms for emulation. I couldn't imagine trying to put together a collection on CD.
KilrPilr
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by KilrPilr »

Jeff-20 wrote:Now, this is not the 64DD...? Is this something I could find in HK?

Not the 64DD this is the CD64. Before I found mine I was looking at the units they had at success-hk.com but they are out of stock on them now. Heres a link to a picture and some info on the same one i have. Sorry mate, youll just have to look or ask around to find one.
http://www.robwebb.clara.co.uk/backup/ufo/ufocd64.html

Jeff-20 wrote:Explain. Is this something I could get at Tototek. It tales forever to download 64 roms for emulation. I couldn't imagine trying to put together a collection on CD.
Well im sure I could help you out there somehow... :)

Leo
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

I'm sure it is a great development tool. I just haven't found enough n64 games I like to make it worth it yet. (although I have only played 2 ;) )