Adding to my ever-expanding Commodore collection: A C128

Other Computers and Game Systems

Moderator: Moderators

PaulQ
undead vic

Post by PaulQ »

My new C128, up and running with my 1084s monitor:

I'll likely put my C64 into storage for a while, along with my A500 and just have this, the Vic 20, and the CD32 for the time being. I now have a total of three 1541's. I'll probably have two hooked up to this one, and leave one permanently attached to the PC.

On second thought, I think I'll put the old brown breadbox on display somewhere. It's quite a conversation piece!
gklinger
Vic 20 Elite

Post by gklinger »

You need a 1571. :)
In the end it will be as if nothing ever happened.
PaulQ
undead vic

Post by PaulQ »

Been playing with the C128. It occurs to me that it is actually an amalgamation of the 3 different type of computers people bought in its day. Consider that the people who bought computers back then would buy a computer primarily for a) playing videogames, b) running business applications, or c) as a hobby. By incorporating a C64 mode, it pretty much has the videogame market of the day well established. The CP/M mode ensured compatibility with CP/M applications. The native 128 mode with BASIC 7.0, built-in ML monitor and multiple screen resolutions would have had great appeal for a hobbyist. Not only does it bring these three computer types together, it represents (in my opinion) the best of these three computer types in the 8 bit world.

A 1571 would be nice, but it seems to be doing fine with 1541's for now. Will keep my eye out for one at a good price though.