ECCC Chicago Expo, September 29, 2007

Discuss anything related to the VIC
MacbthPSW
Vic 20 Afficionado

ECCC Chicago Expo, September 29, 2007

Post by MacbthPSW »

Full announcement here: http://starbase.globalpc.net/eccc/

Come out and join us for a day of Commodore geekery. Although the C-64 is the platform most strongly represented at the show, there are definitely VIC-20 fans there. Because I finally coded a VIC-20 game this year (Splatform) I'll be sure to bring a VIC and show it off... I'll bring Jeff's disk of cool games too.

Note that this show is completely FREE to attend. The facilities have already been paid for by the Supreme Party Council.

The only big change over last year is that we have the room booked until 1 a.m. Sunday so there won't be any confusion over where to hang out in the evening.

I'll be making my 10th annual pilgrimage all the way down from Canada to see old friends and make some new ones.

I hope a bunch of you can make it out! Jeff: you've got no excuse to not show... I drive about 650 miles :) Some of the TPUG crowd usually shows up, including Leif. We'll miss Jim Butterfield this year :(
RobertBe
Vic 20 Elite

Re: ECCC Chicago Expo, September 29, 2007

Post by RobertBe »

MacbthPSW wrote:Because I finally coded a VIC-20 game this year (Splatform) I'll be sure to bring a VIC and show it off...
Ooo, Splatform. I'm curious to about it.

CommVEx info at http://www.portcommodore.com/commvex
or http://www.commodore.ca/forum
Robert Bernardo
Fresno Commodore User Group
http://videocam.net.au/fcug
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

I will be there! Maybe I can throw a VIC party at my home. The place is small; so I don't have much to show off...
But maybe I can get someone to figure out me XE1541 cable issues.
High Scores, Links, and Jeff's Basic Games page.
MacbthPSW
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by MacbthPSW »

RobertBe wrote:Ooo, Splatform. I'm curious to about it.
Hi Robert :)

It can be downloaded here: http://psw.ca/prg/vic-splatform.prg
MacbthPSW
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by MacbthPSW »

Jeff-20 wrote:I will be there!
Great! :)
Maybe I can throw a VIC party at my home. The place is small; so I don't have much to show off...
Most of us end up staying at the hotel the whole time - show up Friday night, go out for dinner together, stay up too late, try to get up on time Saturday morning (8 a.m. start) and this year we'll have the big room right until 1 a.m. On Sunday we usually hang around the hotel lobby/breakfast area until sometime in the afternoon, when people start driving/flying home.

So, I guess I'm trying to say that while it'd be cool to head to your place, you might be better off just hauling a bit of extra stuff to the show. If you email Jason (the main organizer, his email is on the webpage) then he'll add you to the list, and we'll be sure to save a Denial table for you to set up on.
But maybe I can get someone to figure out me XE1541 cable issues.
Yeah, bring it, I bet we can help.
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

Regarding the XE cable, I think it is Jeff's laptop (IIRC) that is one of the few percent whose parallel ports are totally incompatible. A bit of trial and error will tell if that is the case.
Anders Carlsson

Image Image Image Image Image
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

I'm on the market for some cheap laptops in my city. I've checked the local "for sale" pages. I found an AST for $30. There's a Toshiba on Ebay that will amount to $25 after shipping. I hope one of those will work with my cable as a DOS system.
PaulQ
undead vic

Post by PaulQ »

I'd love to go, but I just got two more new 8 bit toys that are crying for my attention. Please do take lots of pictures of the event and share them all with us here. If you need someone to host them, I'd be more than glad to put them on my own private server for you.

Lots and lots of pictures. If you need a digital camera, let me know; I'm certain I could help out that way as well.
Schema
factor

Post by Schema »

Boo! 8)

Sorry I've been absent for long. The summer was very very crazy for me, and things don't seem to be returning to normal anytime soon.

But, I wanted to pop in and mention that I will definitely be at ECCC this year! I've done zilch on any of my Commodore machines in months, so ECCC will be a great way to get a nice condensed dose of C= geekery in.

Looking forward to seeing everyone. Jeff, it would be very cool to see your place (I always find it fascinating to see the spaces people create for themselves) but like Robin said, we tend to stick close to the hotel and the action.

I'll be there from Friday night to Sunday afternoon.
nbla000
Salmon Run

Post by nbla000 »

MacbthPSW wrote:Because I finally coded a VIC-20 game this year (Splatform) I'll be sure to bring a VIC and show it off... I'll bring Jeff's disk of cool games too.
I've added the Vic-Splatform to the Mega-Cart too, Tape/Disk section.
Mega-Cart: the cartridge you plug in once and for all.
MacbthPSW
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by MacbthPSW »

nbla000 wrote:I've added the Vic-Splatform to the Mega-Cart too, Tape/Disk section.
Excellent! :) Any chance we'll be able to see the cart in action at ECCC?

Schema, glad to hear you'll be there :)

It's less than 2 weeks away! By the way, get booking your hotel room(s) if you haven't already. I think after this weekend they'll free up the rooms that have been reserved for the show and give them to others. Staying in a different hotel just isn't fun. You'll miss out on half the fun.
6502dude
megacart

Post by 6502dude »

MacbthPSW wrote:Any chance we'll be able to see the cart in action at ECCC?
Although I really wanted to go to show this year, beacuse of work commitments, I can't make it to ECCC. :cry:

I planned on bringing MegaCart to TPUG meeting this week, but I have not heard back to see if I can be on the agenda.
Image Mega-Cart: the ultimate cartridge for your Commodore Vic-20
gklinger
Vic 20 Elite

Post by gklinger »

6502dude wrote:I planned on bringing MegaCart to TPUG meeting this week, but I have not heard back to see if I can be on the agenda.
Please do! I'm sure there will be problem finding time for a demonstration. There isn't anything formal planned yet (as far as I've heard) and after the usual 'how was your summer' chit-chat we'll have lots of time.
In the end it will be as if nothing ever happened.
KilrPilr
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by KilrPilr »

Im going to be in ottawa for some training on oct1-6th so I guess I would miss it. Anyone close by the parliament buildings and want to pick me up for a tour one evening? :)
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

I will be there for sure, but I also hope to leave with a few items. If you have anything on my WANT LIST, feel free to bring it along. I will bring cash to buy. PM me.

WANT LIST

A fully tested VIC 20 CR version. I only need the console.

And as always, an aligned C2N would be cool too.

A C64.

I will post on 64 sites too, just in case any of those guys don't see the value in VIC items.
Last edited by Jeff-20 on Sun Sep 23, 2007 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.