New Release : Frogger '07

Discussion, Reviews & High-scores

Moderator: Moderators

Victragic
Frogger '07

Post by Victragic »

Jeff-20 wrote:It just suddenly hit me!

Some may still be confused as to why Frogger's protagonist cannot touch the water without dying. Although, frogs can swim, the water depiction itself reveals much about the game.

After close examination of this most recent (and more accurate) version of the scenario, I've noticed that the even trough and lack of foamy crest may indicate the presence of heavy water. Not to be confused with hard water or with tritiated water, heavy water would create the even movement of the logs (with a complete lack of transverse waves) and not discolor the water at all.

This theory also explains the rapid evacuation of the area as indicated with the frantic traffic patterns in both directions. Frogger evidently takes place shortly after some ecological disaster.

A frog's body would reach fatal deuteration quickly due to the nature of amphibians. Many frogs are able to absorb water directly through the skin. This permeability would also make a frog more vulnerable to the heavy water molecules in the air. This explains why the frog only has a very limited time to get across before becoming overwhelmed. A crocodile would have no such problem as deuteration would take a week of more even completely submerged because of the animal's water content and size.
Thanks Jeff, see - someone noticed the results of several months studying the effects of various environmental conditions on amphibians before I started coding.

The size of the frog in question though, is roughly 2/3 that of a bulldozer. And it gets even bigger in the home nest, before finally giving up and suffering cardiac arrest. I'm guessing an overactive pituitary. The frog can barely jump it's own body length because of it's mass, let alone swim..
3^4 is 81.0000001
Victragic
Frogger '07

Post by Victragic »

Okay,

I've updated the version on my 'mule' account at

www.adam.com.au/grichards/FROGGER07.d64

to include the NTSC raster-fixed version of the main game. (Credits still only works on PAL sorry) - Will look wrong on VICE NTSC, but you are better off playing that on PAL anyway (or MAME version, let's be honest!)

I have decided at this stage not to do any enhancements, fixes etc.. not that I don't appreciate the suggestions/finds but I seriously just need a break from this all-too familiar piece of code! So it will be as it is, warts and all..

Cheers
-Glen
3^4 is 81.0000001
eslapion
ultimate expander

Post by eslapion »

Jeff-20 wrote:It just suddenly hit me!

This theory also explains the rapid evacuation of the area as indicated with the frantic traffic patterns in both directions. Frogger evidently takes place shortly after some ecological disaster.

Wow! I thought only autistic people noticed such details!

Usually when I tell people or post about such observations, they tell me to shut up and go away.

Of keen interest is the fact, as Victragic pointed out, that the frog is about 2/3 the physical dimensions of a bulldozer.

This clearly indicates the water is still radioactive, probably having leaked from the cooling system of a nuclear facility. This must have induced massive genetic mutations making the frog beyond decaploid.

Since the frog becomes even bigger upon hitting its resting nest, this probably means the radioactive leak comes from that specific area. A hot liquid would have an expansion effect on the body of the frog.
nbla000
Salmon Run

Post by nbla000 »

Victragic wrote:I have decided at this stage not to do any enhancements, fixes etc.. not that I don't appreciate the suggestions/finds but I seriously just need a break from this all-too familiar piece of code! So it will be as it is, warts and all..
May i consider this version as last version to include in Mega-Cart ?

What about Raid on fort knox source files ?
Mike
Herr VC

Post by Mike »

eslapion wrote:
Jeff-20 wrote:It just suddenly hit me! ... This theory also explains the rapid evacuation of the area as indicated with the frantic traffic patterns in both directions. Frogger evidently takes place shortly after some ecological disaster. ...
The thought 'why is this frog unable to swim' also crossed my mind yesterday. All those logs, are they going to be processed to planks in a factory? Do the turtles flee from the factory? Why do space ships make roaring noises, in vacuum (as can be seen in all movies since Kubrick's 2001)?

Just for fun I typed 'frogger' into YouTube, and came out with this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=of7PO_cZc54&NR=1

@Victragic: You made a great conversion. The controls are responsive, fluid animation, ... could you post a list of all tools you used in making this program? (assemblers, paint programs, etc.)

Cheers,

Michael
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

Is nobody concerned about the exhausts from all the traffic, and the water just next to the road?

Victragic: Did you also spend a week at zoo to study a frog's movement? I'm referring to how Jeff Minter claimed to have spent a week to study a camel when he programmed (and was the graphics artist) for Revenge of the Mutant Camels on the Commodore 64.
Anders Carlsson

Image Image Image Image Image
Bacon
for breakfast

Post by Bacon »

Victragic, that is just amazing! I tried it briefly on an emulator at work, and played it on my real VIC when I got home. I'm blown away by the quality :D
Bacon
-------------------------------------------------------
Das rubbernecken Sichtseeren keepen das cotton-pickenen Hands in die Pockets muss; relaxen und watschen die Blinkenlichten.
Victragic
Frogger '07

Post by Victragic »

nbla000 wrote:
Victragic wrote:I have decided at this stage not to do any enhancements, fixes etc.. not that I don't appreciate the suggestions/finds but I seriously just need a break from this all-too familiar piece of code! So it will be as it is, warts and all..
May i consider this version as last version to include in Mega-Cart ?
Yep, most definitely :)

What about Raid on fort knox source files ?
Sorry for not getting back, have set aside some time to look at this coming weekend - too much real life creeping into my hobbies!
3^4 is 81.0000001
Victragic
Frogger '07

Post by Victragic »

carlsson wrote:
Victragic: Did you also spend a week at zoo to study a frog's movement? I'm referring to how Jeff Minter claimed to have spent a week to study a camel when he programmed (and was the graphics artist) for Revenge of the Mutant Camels on the Commodore 64.
For me, it was method acting. For a week, I *was* a frog.

Oh, and before anyone else says it -------

------ "Llamas are bigger than frogs."
Last edited by Victragic on Wed Aug 08, 2007 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
3^4 is 81.0000001
Victragic
Frogger '07

Post by Victragic »

Mike wrote:
eslapion wrote:
Jeff-20 wrote:It just suddenly hit me! ... This theory also explains the rapid evacuation of the area as indicated with the frantic traffic patterns in both directions. Frogger evidently takes place shortly after some ecological disaster. ...
The thought 'why is this frog unable to swim' also crossed my mind yesterday. All those logs, are they going to be processed to planks in a factory? Do the turtles flee from the factory? Why do space ships make roaring noises, in vacuum (as can be seen in all movies since Kubrick's 2001)?

Just for fun I typed 'frogger' into YouTube, and came out with this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=of7PO_cZc54&NR=1

@Victragic: You made a great conversion. The controls are responsive, fluid animation, ... could you post a list of all tools you used in making this program? (assemblers, paint programs, etc.)

Cheers,

Michael

Tools..

I used very few in fact. For the most part, I studied the MAME version and used pen and paper, using a real VIC with my ultimate expander, using the VICMON. I used a home-made Excel spreadsheet to create the graphics and calculate the hex totals.. this was probably the biggest time-saver.

(Out of interest the character set used is directly copied from the original game, though obviously appears more horizontally expanded.)

Then, about 80% of the way into it, I converted all my code (from the 96-page exercise book I was maintaining) into source to be compiled by DASM..

My editor of choice was VIM, which although not 100% DASM-compatible (eg recognises .BYT instead of .BYTE) is pretty good. From then I used VICE to test, and suddenly found myself *enjoying* developing the game.

The music player is a combination of Carlsson's player and my own. The raster routine was adapted from Marco Makela's ubiquitous routine. The sprite routines were entirely my own, although obviously there is probably nothing new there with the concepts.

-G
3^4 is 81.0000001
Alan
Vic 20 Devotee

Post by Alan »

Victragic wrote:I used a home-made Excel spreadsheet to create the graphics and calculate the hex totals.. this was probably the biggest time-saver.
Tell us more about this, please. I'm always amazed at, and looking for, all the things people use Excel for. Would you mind sharing the worksheet you used?
Alan
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

Victragic wrote:For a week, I *was* a frog.
Do you have a girlfriend/wife, and in that case how did she like it that you became a frog? Would you tell her she's a princess and get her to kiss you more often?
Anders Carlsson

Image Image Image Image Image
Victragic
Frogger '07

Post by Victragic »

carlsson wrote:
Victragic wrote:For a week, I *was* a frog.
Do you have a girlfriend/wife, and in that case how did she like it that you became a frog? Would you tell her she's a princess and get her to kiss you more often?
Surprisingly, my loud belchings failed to impress or attract females the way they were supposed to.

Fortunately, my wife takes this kind of thing in her stride..

Princess & Frog.. that was a big inspiration too, the flicker-free graphics, animations and rasters were very good - NTSC only of course..
3^4 is 81.0000001
Victragic
Frogger '07

Post by Victragic »

Alan wrote:
Victragic wrote:I used a home-made Excel spreadsheet to create the graphics and calculate the hex totals.. this was probably the biggest time-saver.
Tell us more about this, please. I'm always amazed at, and looking for, all the things people use Excel for. Would you mind sharing the worksheet you used?
Okay,

it's not exactly a presentable tool, I sort of stopped creating it once I got it functional for my purposes, but here it is..

www.adam.com.au/grichards/mcchargen.xls

The colours are fixed, you just put a value of 0-3 in the top 'matrix' and it calcs hex values in four columns to the right of the matrix..

You can offset the graphics by 1,2 or 3 multicolour blocks in either direction, this was how I calculated the pre-generated array graphics..

Looks like some of the equations got corrupted in the LHS offset part, but.. you get the idea.

I wanted a fairly large area to create graphics, eg for the crocodile, so that's why I did it this way.. and having 3 rows made it easier to do animation 'states' - eg open/closed mouth for croc..
3^4 is 81.0000001
wiskow
Vic 20 Devotee

Post by wiskow »

Victragic wrote:Okay,

it's not exactly a presentable tool, I sort of stopped creating it once I got it functional for my purposes, but here it is..

www.adam.com.au/grichards/mcchargen.xls

The colours are fixed, you just put a value of 0-3 in the top 'matrix' and it calcs hex values in four columns to the right of the matrix..

You can offset the graphics by 1,2 or 3 multicolour blocks in either direction, this was how I calculated the pre-generated array graphics..

Looks like some of the equations got corrupted in the LHS offset part, but.. you get the idea.

I wanted a fairly large area to create graphics, eg for the crocodile, so that's why I did it this way.. and having 3 rows made it easier to do animation 'states' - eg open/closed mouth for croc..
Very cool! :D

-Andrew
Cottonwood BBS & Borderline BBS
http://cottonwoodbbs.dyndns.org