After 25 years... my own 80 column cartridge!!

History and Preservation Issues

Moderator: Moderators

Key-Quest
Vic 20 Drifter

Post by Key-Quest »

Just for interest's sake, I have found confirmation that Protecto Enterprizes made both a Word Processor with mail merge and an electronic spread sheet (like Visicalc) specifically for your 40-80 Column Board. This package was advertised in an official Protecto ad (pg. 84, TORPET Nov/Dec 83)., as available on tape or disk. :)
davidv_
Vic 20 Hobbyist

Post by davidv_ »

6502dude wrote: Maybe we could use OCR and save some typing.
I wasted a good 3 hours finding the OCR app that i liked and i abandoned.

Most OCR neural network code assumes the text is built in human language,
and basic is really alien to it.

Like everything i download im always tempted to write my own damn app instead of using the apps of others, but lets just say that my time would be better spent in other areas :)

Anyone knows of an app that

1)will ask you to confirm each friggin char starting from the upper left until it has "learned" the current scanned font?

2)will convert the "grid" to text chars without any regards to "human language formating"

I can think of MANY things i have to scan once i have this handy.
Im sure dumps of Complete First book of VIC Games (Compute) would be nice in the archive.
ral-clan
plays wooden flutes

Post by ral-clan »

What I meant to say above is that a lot of PET games will run (mostly or partially) on the VIC with an 80 column cartridge as is. Very few will run completely (as the graphics pokes are to the wrong location) but a few POKE changes to the right locations (the 80 column board graphics memory) should make it easy to port PET games to run on the Data-20 board.