Typical Collectors' Problem

History and Preservation Issues

Moderator: Moderators

Nick
Vic 20 Newbie

Re: Typical Collectors' Problem

Post by Nick »

Jeff-20 wrote:I got two new carts in a trade...in pristine shrinkwrap...I am thinking of taking an exacto knife to it because I've never seen such pretty shrinkwrap...what would you do?
I have a Synthesound cart still in the shrink wrap. I remember this cart from when I was a kid. So far, I don't have the guts to open it. I suppose if it was something I needed or really really wanted to play with I'd have opened it by now. On the other hand, wait a day or two and I just may end up using an exacto knife on it as well...

:roll:

Ironically, it's really of ZERO use to me if it's shrinkwrapped. BUT there is something "magic" about an unopened box isn't there? To open or not to open? Indeed an easy question for a box of Capt Crunch but not so easy when it comes to a twenty year old vintage item is it.

But give me a few days or weeks and I'll get over it and end up with one "almost mint in box" Synthesound cart. *SIGH*

(too tempting to open the darn thing)
vic user
VicGyver

Post by vic user »

what about using the ROM image of synthesound saved on disk?

i don't know if there is one around, but i would be surprised if there wasn't one, based on how many ROM images are out there.

i have the manual, and i could scan it in and put the files on the net, so you wouldn't even need to open the box to get at the manual.

chris
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

Yes, HES Synthesound is available in /roms/tools/8k. When I read about it many years ago, I thought it would contain external sound hardware, but it is not that advanced.
Anders Carlsson

Image Image Image Image Image
Schema
factor

Post by Schema »

Kind of a blasphemous idea, but you can re-shrinkwrap packages you know...
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

There's magic in touching the actual cart. It's such a classic medium.
High Scores, Links, and Jeff's Basic Games page.
rittwage
Vic 20 Newbie

Post by rittwage »

I found a VicMON cart still sealed not too long ago, but I haven't opened it. The place where I got it had several more dirt common C64 carts also like Kickman, Lemans, etc. all unopened that I didn't have spare cash on me to buy at the time.

They had been there for years and I never got around to going back to pick them up. The place burned down to the ground a few months ago so they are lost forever.