Alternate Rat Race Packaging.

History and Preservation Issues

Moderator: Moderators

Stinky
Vic 20 Amateur

Alternate Rat Race Packaging.

Post by Stinky »

All of the boxed Radar Rat Race examples I've seen online have the cartoon style graphics on front. I remember these graphics from the c64 version back in the day.

But the version I bought originally was the generic VIC silver box with the removable booklet style packaging which had a macabre mouse and rats on it. I still have the booklet somewhere, does anyone else have this version of the packaging?
Mayhem
High Bidder

Post by Mayhem »

There does seem to be a variety of packaging variations for some games. I've got four versions of Star Battle for example here! But I do have the "Rat Race" box as well, looks like a real mouse (not a cartoon) and very evil looking rats on the front. Got it from Australia actually.
Lie with passion and be forever damned...
Stinky
Vic 20 Amateur

Post by Stinky »

Yeah, that's the one. I'm in Australia BTW. perhaps it was a local release only? It was kind of horrific, one of the rats has a red tooth. I can see why they made the cute graphic with the star-farting mouse.

What are the C= cart box varieties you've seen? I recall the generic silver box with removable booklet, the printed silver box and the small white box with blue stripes.
ral-clan
plays wooden flutes

Post by ral-clan »

I've never seen the small white box with blue stripes for a game cartridge. Do you have any pics? I've only seen it for utility carts & RAM expansion.

In Canada we had the removable artwork/book version of the silver cartridge box. The silver outer box actually had generic French/English writing "Cartridge/Cartouche" for instance.
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

PRG Starter - a VICE helper / Vic Software (Boray Gammon, SD2IEC music player, Vic Disk Menu, Tribbles, Mega Omega, How Many 8K etc.)
Mayhem
High Bidder

Post by Mayhem »

I've only ever seen those tiny boxes for memory carts. Did they sell games in them too?
Lie with passion and be forever damned...
Stinky
Vic 20 Amateur

Post by Stinky »

I found a batch of the small blue and white boxes in about 1985, they were clearout games going for $2 at a department store in Canberra, Australia. I no longer have the packaging, but I bought Gorf, Avenger and Road Race. The box was the size of a cart and only contained the cart in a plastic bag, no instructions.

IIRC, the boxes were generic with the three arrow motif and Commodore Vic20 written on them, in the style of the pre-silver packaging. There was no indication of the game inside.