Armas Site deletion

Discuss anything related to the VIC
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

I'm also going to miss the screenshots the most. It's even more motivation to get the wiki going. I am still waiting on help from anyone who could install it. (groan, I suck at MySQL)
High Scores, Links, and Jeff's Basic Games page.
6502dude
megacart

Post by 6502dude »

I'll miss the wacky wizard.

It was a nice site with a great layout.
Image Mega-Cart: the ultimate cartridge for your Commodore Vic-20
Arma
Vic 20 Drifter

Post by Arma »

Ok guys i have thought long and hard about this, everyone who has ever donated any content be it .tap files , instructions, screenshots, listings, etc etc have always got a mention and a personal thanks on the thanks page. No other collection has ever been merged into my own collection ( gklinger ). I own approximatley 90% of the archive as original tapes, this archive doubles as a way of my protecting my investement in these tapes which have cost me a small fortune over the years in time and money.
( idrougge ) as mentioned above I Own most of these tapes as originals, i own the right to use these tapes and programmes as often and whenever i want to and the .tap files are as i see it a legitimate backup of something i own as i may never get the chance to purchase a replacement.
These tapes were mostly converted by myself to ensure their continued reliability. This was how my site was born. Once my site was created i made all my files availabe for anyone and encouraged others to donate to the archive, EVERYONE who did donate in any way was credited as i think this is not only good manners but correct for something that was a becoming more popular within the community, to have it just leeched and altered so that it can be posted somewhere else is not only an insult to my hard work but to everyone else who donated to the site.

Right now thats out of the way, and as long as it does not get leeched and my isp closes it again i will make the site available again.
What i will say is this for a long time now users have had the opportunity to type out listings from any vic20 books or mags they may have, but to date i have only received less than a dozen. I dont want my site to be just there to be taken it would be nice to have a little more input.

Arma
Armas Vic 20 Tribute Pages are back !

Goto www.timsplace.plus.com for over 400 tape games, inlay scans and screen shots.

Please help support the Vic and i will try to convert all tapes to .tap files.
6502dude
megacart

Post by 6502dude »

Arma wrote:.. and as long as it does not get leeched and my isp closes it again i will make the site available again.
Great!!! :D :D :D

How about setting TAP images and as FTP and having your ISP set parameters to limit daily transfer?
Arma wrote:What i will say is this for a long time now users have had the opportunity to type out listings from any vic20 books or mags they may have, but to date i have only received less than a dozen. I dont want my site to be just there to be taken it would be nice to have a little more input.
Time for us to get typing some more! :wink:
Image Mega-Cart: the ultimate cartridge for your Commodore Vic-20
idrougge
Vic 20 Hobbyist

Post by idrougge »

Arma wrote:( idrougge ) as mentioned above I Own most of these tapes as originals, i own the right to use these tapes and programmes as often and whenever i want to and the .tap files are as i see it a legitimate backup of something i own as i may never get the chance to purchase a replacement.
I think you know just as well as I that you're free to do anything you want with your tapes, as long as it doesn't end up in someone else's hands.
Arma wrote: to have it just leeched and altered so that it can be posted somewhere else is not only an insult to my hard work but to everyone else who donated to the site.
I understand how you feel, but it is in a way contrary to the ROMz culture. The big TOSEC lists are the result of the combined work of several individuals, for instance. Personally, though, I can't really understand why someone would bother with setting up a site by himself when others could spread the dumps for you.
C128, C128D, C64, C64C, ABC80, ABC800, ABC806, 130XE, ZX81, Spectrum 48k, Dragon 32, TI99/4A, Laser 200, Spectravideo 328, Sord M5, VIC20...
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

Arma wrote: as mentioned above I Own most of these tapes as originals, i own the right to use these tapes and programmes as often and whenever i want to and the .tap files are as i see it a legitimate backup of something i own as i may never get the chance to purchase a replacement.
Well, it' maybe legal (but just maybe) as long as you don't put them on the internet... :wink:
PRG Starter - a VICE helper / Vic Software (Boray Gammon, SD2IEC music player, Vic Disk Menu, Tribbles, Mega Omega, How Many 8K etc.)
gklinger
Vic 20 Elite

Post by gklinger »

Your archive is back? That's good to hear. Now, how does one go about making a cash donation to help offset your hosting costs?
In the end it will be as if nothing ever happened.
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

gklinger wrote:Now, how does one go about making a cash donation to help offset your hosting costs?
Speaking of which, Denial received its first donation today! Thank you, Bindi, whoever you are. See? The community does care.
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

Bindi? Isn't that the daughter of the late Steve Irwin, crocodile hunter?
Anders Carlsson

Image Image Image Image Image
Victragic
Frogger '07

Post by Victragic »

Wow, it amazes me that people outside Australia would know that fact.. it's also a type of grass with little prickles in it which get stuck to your socks..

..she recently got voted amongst Australia's 10 most trusted people - of course, there's not much not to trust about an 8-year-old girl..

Where's the little 'Paypal' link on Denial? Usually that's the first thing one sees when entering a not-for-profit site..

-G
3^4 is 81.0000001
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

It's on the front page...

http://sleepingelephant.com/denial/index.html

It has been pointed out to me the the donation is limited to $1.
Victragic
Frogger '07

Post by Victragic »

How did I miss that.

Might want to change that $1 limit though..

-G
3^4 is 81.0000001
dragos
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by dragos »

I can offer free hosting with NO bandwidth limits for your site. I work in a datacenter and have my own cabinet with several servers.

on another note, I have several issues of a vic tape magazine called fox-20. Be happy to donate these to the archive. any tips on reating .taps?
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

The best contribution I could get right now is setting up a wiki on this site. :wink: Then I everything is in one place for backing up, etc.
ravenxau
Vic 20 Devotee

Post by ravenxau »

Jeff-20 wrote:I'm also going to miss the screenshots the most. It's even more motivation to get the wiki going. I am still waiting on help from anyone who could install it. (groan, I suck at MySQL)
my friends and i always used to refer to MySQL as "mysquirrel" - when things stuffed up you had been "squirrel gripped" :shock: :D