Only Worldlam would pay these prices

Vic 20 Item Exchange

Moderator: Moderators

PaulQ
undead vic

Post by PaulQ »

Worldlam just opened his eBay store a few days ago, and already he's starting to mark down some of his prices:

http://stores.ebay.com/Collecting-Dust- ... -Recyclers

Based on all evidence, I think it's just a matter of time before we see fire sale prices... :lol:
Schema
factor

Post by Schema »

Coming into the thread late, but...

Worldlam's the president of a company that sells products for the security industry. So that appears to be the source of his cash, not much mystery there.

http://covertronix.net/

I recently went to a conference where these sorts of products were on display and for sale, there certainly are some colorful characters in the industry. Not surprising, seeing how your customers are all spooks, PIs, or just overly paranoid people.

Yeah, his MAX prices are a little crazy, but still cheaper than flying to Japan to find them :wink:
PaulQ
undead vic

Post by PaulQ »

His prices are just as ridiculous there. For instance, check out this "Hot Deal:"

http://covertronix.net/proddetail.asp?p ... BIN&cat=44

The price has been "Slashed" down to $109.95. This is the exact same thing you can buy here for $33.87:

http://www.grabcart.com/product/ele/pdas/1195534

At his prices, it's no wonder he's looking for more credit to float his new venture.

By the way, Golan, did you ever hear from his attorney? :lol:
gklinger
Vic 20 Elite

Post by gklinger »

DigitalQuirk wrote:By the way, Golan, did you ever hear from his attorney? :lol:
Nope. Just more blustering from a not-so-bright interloper. It's too bad, really, because I was looking forward to a long chat with some lawyer who would then bill worldlam for the time.

Forgive my self-congratulatory tone when I say that I saw him for what he was from the get-go. I'm glad that everyone can now see his true colours. The upside to this whole business is that respected members of the community were able to sell him items at vastly inflated prices so the money ended up in deserving pockets. Of course, should worldlam declare bankruptcy a third time, we'll all be left paying for his foolishness. C'est la vie.
In the end it will be as if nothing ever happened.
Centallica
Pinballer

Post by Centallica »

DigitalQuirk wrote:Worldlam just opened his eBay store a few days ago, and already he's starting to mark down some of his prices:

http://stores.ebay.com/Collecting-Dust- ... -Recyclers

Based on all evidence, I think it's just a matter of time before we see fire sale prices... :lol:
Wooo 5% off sale :lol:
Worldlam's the president of a company that sells products for the security industry. So that appears to be the source of his cash
Source to get his credit cards to go on his buying spree that is :lol:

When they come around to repo his possessions, he'll show them old Commodore stuff and convince them that it's not worth anything and they'll probably leave it alone....good plan :shock:

Brian
damnstraight
Vic 20 Hobbyist

Post by damnstraight »

I will start looking at his auction more now that he is discounting, maybe when he starts the 99% off I will buy something. :D
I thunk once and it hurt!
idrougge
Vic 20 Hobbyist

Post by idrougge »

Victragic wrote:I differentiate between collectors who are hobbyists (such as yourself and I'd reckon everyone who has registered on Denial) and collectors who have no intrinsic interest in the machine.
One rule of thumb I go by for identifying "collectors" or "hoarders", and the general hobbyists, is the case when the person in question finds an unreleased, obscure game.

The collector will sit on it, careful not to damage the plastic wrapping. The hobbyist will see to it that the game is dumped and released for the other hobbyists to enjoy.
C128, C128D, C64, C64C, ABC80, ABC800, ABC806, 130XE, ZX81, Spectrum 48k, Dragon 32, TI99/4A, Laser 200, Spectravideo 328, Sord M5, VIC20...
Victragic
Frogger '07

Post by Victragic »

Security industry...

Dodgy characters..

Large transactions on a relatively anonymous market..

Money laundering? Except usually you would buy something *worthless* and then sell high...

:?

-G
3^4 is 81.0000001
jbuonacc
Vic 20 Hobbyist

Post by jbuonacc »

crazy how this all turned out. i think he's doomed. 'buying power' :D ha! unreal... now i like him even less. :) i'm amazed at how badly he spells in public, even on his websites and now his auctions. most of his stuff will never sell for what he paid if only because his auctions look nowhere near as safe or tempting as the other seller's. even the pictures aren't very nice, the guy is a complete fool. not a bad idea though, if he'd used some discretion he'd have been much better off.

:D and i love the back & forth between him and his little boyfriend Arkhan. :D
Centallica
Pinballer

Post by Centallica »

This is getting real frustrating with this guy :evil:

First he wins Wasteland here and I think he's got one now and he'll leave us alone:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0108951745

Noooo the guy has to have another one from me:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0121692715

And I ain't buying it when he re-lists it for $596US either :lol:

Friggin looser :roll:
jbuonacc
Vic 20 Hobbyist

Post by jbuonacc »

that's what really made me say 'wtf?!', when i saw that he was buying up just anything and everything with no sense to it. even little things (two seperate low-dollar auctions for some loose music software disks for example), and after he said 'only mint/boxed stuff from now on'. :roll: even worse, if it doesn't work he'll either sell it as 'untested' or he'll toss it out.

he's lost big so far, let's see how bad it can get. i wonder what those games will end up doing in a couple days. nice of him to tell everyone what the reserve is though. :D rare! collectible! hahaha... that says so much about him. what a creep.
PaulQ
undead vic

Post by PaulQ »

It appears as though his motivation is to have a monopoly on certain "Rare" titles and hardware; scooping it up from eBay when it shows up, so he, and only he, can be the source of this item and as such charge what he wants.

There's one big flaw in his plan. That flaw is that us Commodore users tend to be cheap. That's why we bought Commodore in the first place instead of Apple or IBM (or even Atari). For the vast majority of us, we bought Commodore because it was the best VALUE for our dollar.

There exists another flaw in his plan. That flaw is the fact that Commodore users tend to be very patient. We will wait for an eternity for the price to drop on something before we buy it. Case in point; look how many of us used the trusty old C2N until the 1541's finally dropped into our price range. Sure, everyone wanted a 1541 when they first came out, but our tape drives still worked. Some of us still use them today, we are so patient.

Sadly for Worldlam, he'll be crushed with interest before anyone wants to pay his prices. In the entire Commodore community, the only person willing to pay high prices seems to be him. What a fool. Of course, as jbuonacc alluded to, his poor grasp of the English language demonstrates that we're not exactly dealing with someone who knows what he's doing. :lol: I think he will drag both of his business ventures down into the ground before long, further proving that buying high and selling higher isn't a viable business plan to consider.

Looks like Golan saw this from the get-go. Then again, I felt as though Golan thought of me in the same light when I started collecting Commodore. :shock:
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

The third flaw is that a lot of rare items are sold outside of eBay. For example, I have sold at least one or two vans worth of W@W L@@K R4RE items over the last year, none of which Worldlam would've had access to. Not that I would've sold to him anyway, as I "cherry-pick" my buyers to a certain extent.
Anders Carlsson

Image Image Image Image Image
Mayhem
High Bidder

Post by Mayhem »

Centallica wrote:First he wins Wasteland here and I think he's got one now and he'll leave us alone:
Same with Space Taxi. He won two complete copies, and then a disk/manual only version crops up and I think I might be able to get that one, but oh no, he buys that one too!
Lie with passion and be forever damned...
eslapion
ultimate expander

Post by eslapion »

idrougge wrote:One rule of thumb I go by for identifying "collectors" or "hoarders", and the general hobbyists, is the case when the person in question finds an unreleased, obscure game.

The collector will sit on it, careful not to damage the plastic wrapping. The hobbyist will see to it that the game is dumped and released for the other hobbyists to enjoy.
Well, I guess that makes me a hobbyist...