WTB: Commodore C=16

Vic 20 Item Exchange

Moderator: Moderators

Timster
Vic 20 Newbie

WTB: Commodore C=16

Post by Timster »

Hey all...

I've purchased 3 separate C=16s off eBay in the last year trying to get a working one for my collection, and all three have come up lame. I'm beginning to wonder if a working specimen even exists. :-p

If anyone here has one fully working that they'd be willing to sell (and place their reputation behind that it IS indeed working!), I'd truly appreciate it.

If it has a 1531 datasette cassette drive to go with it, that would be icing on the cake!

Please let me know via PM and/or e-mail me at tfagan @ triad.rr.com. Thanks!

--Timster--
wiskow
Vic 20 Devotee

Post by wiskow »

I just saw this pop up on eBay:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0120813105

The seller claims that it has never been used, so if that's true, then it *should* work.

Maybe fourth time is a charm? ;-)

-Andrew
Victragic
Frogger '07

Post by Victragic »

I never had much luck with 264 series..

for some reason lots of the RAM/ROM chips would become faulty over time, even though the machines were carefully stowed away in a cupboard inside the house.. had no such troubles with other Commodore machines. Perhaps they cheaped out on anti-corrosion 'agents' or something when making them.

But, don't discount PAL C16s either, as I believe the TED chip is capable of both PAL/NTSC output, so if you had a compatible power supply already, that might be alright for you.. (can someone confirm this?)

-Glen
3^4 is 81.0000001
Timster
Vic 20 Newbie

Post by Timster »

wiskow wrote:I just saw this pop up on eBay:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0120813105

The seller claims that it has never been used, so if that's true, then it *should* work.

Maybe fourth time is a charm? ;-)

-Andrew
Yeah - thanks. I saw that too. If I decide to punish myself further by bidding on another one of these on eBay - there's BETTER be proof of it working, picture-wise! Even then, I may be wary...
wiskow
Vic 20 Devotee

Post by wiskow »

Timster wrote:Yeah - thanks. I saw that too. If I decide to punish myself further by bidding on another one of these on eBay - there's BETTER be proof of it working, picture-wise! Even then, I may be wary...
I agree with you 100%! Besides, if this C16 is complete as the seller claims, it shouldn't be too hard to hook it up and take a photo of it working, since all the cables should be in the box, right?

-Andrew
jbuonacc
Vic 20 Hobbyist

Post by jbuonacc »

what became of the three 'bad' ones?
Timster
Vic 20 Newbie

Post by Timster »

There sitting up in my museum/arcade room, tucked away in the closet.
ral-clan
plays wooden flutes

Post by ral-clan »

Have you tried to swap parts of your three non-working C16s to get a working one?
Timster
Vic 20 Newbie

Post by Timster »

LOL - that's a great idea in theory. Unforunately, I don't think I'm capable of determining the problem with either to be able to rectify it with parts from the other. :-(
PaulQ
undead vic

Post by PaulQ »

I almost ended up in Winston Salem, NC...got an offer from Metro IS back in '98. I nearly dove into it, too; if I had, then I'd love to help you out with your Commodore 16's and swap parts between them to determine the problem. Wish I were there to help you, Timster.
Timster
Vic 20 Newbie

Post by Timster »

That makes two of us! Moved here (from NJ) in '97 myself. Best move I ever made for me and my family!

Maybe I'll eventually figure out something to do with these doorstops.

:lol:

--Timster--