Stanford video game collection

History and Preservation Issues

Moderator: Moderators

carlsson
Class of '6502

Stanford video game collection

Post by carlsson »

Stanford University have since a few years ago inherited a collection of about 25,000 video games, and are about to archive them.

Of particular interest for VIC-20 people are Mole Attack in the beginning of the video, and especially a boxed copy of Ultima: Escape from Mt. Drash which the curator describes as ".. some version of Ultima that I'm curious about".

http://news.com.com/1606-2_3-6174194.html
Anders Carlsson

Image Image Image Image Image
d0c
Vic 20 Devotee

Post by d0c »

and that version of ultimate is worth a fortune.... i guess he dont know that... he also talk about removing the shrink-wrap, that he shouldnt. i bet 99% of these games are transfered to the internet allready...
1983 vic20 & 3k-16k ram expansion....
Mayhem
High Bidder

Post by Mayhem »

The archive as I believe is to preserve the games as is, in their media and packaging. So it sounded to me. But yeah no point in actually backing them up, most already exist online in some format...
Lie with passion and be forever damned...
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

That collection should NOT be in the hands of that curator! He doesn't even know what he is holding. Doesn't he think there is a reason the original collector didn't remove the shrinkwrap?
High Scores, Links, and Jeff's Basic Games page.
d0c
Vic 20 Devotee

Post by d0c »

someone here should contact that guy..... he need help from people that know stuff... thats for sure...
1983 vic20 & 3k-16k ram expansion....
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

Maybe they're concerned whether already archived software are "pure", or only available in cracked, single-filed and modified versions.

Perhaps it was due to the fact he had looked up Ultima: EMD that he wanted to show it off. And yes, an obscure game that fetches in the range of $3000+ is something to be curious about. A behaviourist (?) probably would be more curious about the people who are willing to spend so much money on an obsolete computer game. :-P
Anders Carlsson

Image Image Image Image Image