VIC-1001!

Vic 20 Item Exchange

Moderator: Moderators

Mayhem
High Bidder

Post by Mayhem »

As per an earlier post here... there are six modes, three each for romanji and katakana. The three being normal, shifted and with C= key. The 1001 boots up in romanji as standard, you hold Shift and C= whilst turning on power to boot in katakana mode.

(so a bit like holding C= on a 128 to boot in 64 mode)
Lie with passion and be forever damned...
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

In romanji mode, you can still switch between upper and lower case by pressing Shift and C= while the computer is running? In katakana mode, does it switch anything at all? Ditto for POKEs and CHR$ codes.
Anders Carlsson

Image Image Image Image Image
Mayhem
High Bidder

Post by Mayhem »

I don't believe I could switch between the two whilst the power was on, but I'd have to recheck if I boot the machine up again. I only briefly tested it when I got it and tried out a few things in the manual. Using shift or C= in katakana mode opened up more of the kata symbols. Not sure you could do POKEs and CHR$ in kata mode.
Mayhem
High Bidder

Post by Mayhem »

Btw Ral-Clan, any chance of slinging these dumps of Rally-X/Car Race along to me (email in the profile) so I can look at them? :)
eslapion
ultimate expander

Post by eslapion »

Mayhem wrote:Btw Ral-Clan, any chance of slinging these dumps of Rally-X/Car Race along to me (email in the profile) so I can look at them? :)
Hey I posted that on Zimmer's months ago!

See: http://www.zimmers.net/anonftp/pub/cbm/ ... X-NTSC.prg

Unfortunately, the other Rally-X in the same directory is NOT Rally-X...

I suppose since Commodore only had rights to that game in Japan, they only made an NTSC version.
davidv_
Vic 20 Hobbyist

Post by davidv_ »

wow

From hex dump:
"THIS PROGRAM WAS WRITTEN BY - HIROAKI SUGA - APR. 9, 1981 HAL LABORATORY TOKYO, JAPAN "

This guy has been at HAL for a LONG time!
http://www.mobygames.com/developer/shee ... Id,128027/

From other web sites, he seems like the producer there nowadays.
I guess hes my hero, Radar RatRace being the first ever video game i remembered playing.

On a side note, is there anyone who has screenshots of Box art of any 1001 HAL-made games?
Mayhem
High Bidder

Post by Mayhem »

Though according to the RRR code, it states "written by Bill Hindorff Nov 5 1981" so it's possibly not the same code at all. Anyone care to do a proper compare?
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

Ok, a quick comparison:

Rally-X.prg vs Radar Rat Race.prg
Different title screen at c:a $A2B0, a few bytes different at $B6E2. At $B768, one version loads $00 into zeropage $E8 (decimal 232, part of screen link table?) while the other loads $20 into the same position. Another few data differences at $BB5B-$BC9E. I'd say these two are almost identical, with a modified title screen.

Rally-X-NTSC.prg vs Radar Rat Race.prg
At first overview too many differences to mention. At $A34B we have these two messages, notice the exact same position and same spacing:

Code: Select all

THIS PROGRAM WAS   CREATED BY    -BILL HINDORFF-   NOV. 5, 1981  VIC COMMANDOS   K. OF P., USA

Code: Select all

THIS PROGRAM WAS   WRITTEN BY   - HIROAKI SUGA -   APR. 9, 1981  HAL LABORATORY   TOKYO, JAPAN
I believe Rally-X was written by Hiroaki Suga, and then modified with different graphics and perhaps some gameplay by Bill Hindorff, who for some reason took full credit, maybe to confuse Namco who had the rights to Rally-X.
Anders Carlsson

Stinky
Vic 20 Amateur

Post by Stinky »

carlsson wrote:Rally-X-NTSC.prg vs Radar Rat Race.prg
At first overview too many differences to mention. At $A34B we have these two messages, notice the exact same position and same spacing:.
The music is very accurate to the arcade, but playability is the same as Ratrace. Ratrace still has the Rally-X highscore music, very accurate.
Mikam73
2049er

Post by Mikam73 »

If I try that Rally-X with real Vic20..

It needs 8k memcartridge that is mod to run those cart images?

Any screenshots?

That multicart would be great :)
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

Screenshots would really be nice.
High Scores, Links, and Jeff's Basic Games page.
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

Mikam: Yes, you need a BLK5 memory expansion like with "all" other cartridge images.

Here are a few screen shots from emulation, for those too lazy to load it themselves. ;-)

Anders Carlsson

Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

Oh right, emulators. . .
High Scores, Links, and Jeff's Basic Games page.
Mikam73
2049er

Post by Mikam73 »

carlsson wrote:Mikam: Yes, you need a BLK5 memory expansion like with "all" other cartridge images.
Nice pic.

Yeah.. I think that I would need something like that..

Too bad.. I dont have one. Never tryed those cart images.. Well.. I did, but got error.. :D