Another white keyboard VIC-20

History and Preservation Issues

Moderator: Moderators

carlsson
Class of '6502

Another white keyboard VIC-20

Post by carlsson »

I recently had a water leak and had to evacuate the whole apartment. I took the opportunity to "box up" my VIC, 64:s and Amigas as far as I had the original boxes. Now they're all stored away in a closet. I have another loose VIC that I'm intending to use.

Now, I recently went away to pick some stuff, and brought with me a box of five C64 motherboards, all partially broken. I thought maybe I can switch some chips to get at least one working, but so far I haven't had any success. All just display a black screen, which could be due to a number of reasons. Perhaps if I go wild with a multimeter and soldering iron, I could spot respective board's failure.

At the same time, I picked up an empty C64C shell w/ keyboard in very good condition. My idea was to place a working motherboard inside the case, and get an instant 64. Since none of the boards is working, that is currently not possible.

Tonight I realized that the spare, loose VIC has one of those spring free keyboards, a bit stuffy and one key broken. I might be able to make a replacement pin to fix it, but since I had a C64C keyboard in perfectly working order, why not just swap it? Many of us have those white keyboards in our VICs...

Maybe I'll unbox one of the C64:s, just to have one available. I think I'll go with my old breadbox that I recently brought to life, as it takes less space in the drawer and perhaps is more functional than my C64C...
Anders Carlsson

Image Image Image Image Image
PaulQ
undead vic

Post by PaulQ »

The only trouble with that keyboard is it brings out the yellow in the Vic's case; and it's not really that yellow. I wonder if you could paint the Vic the same colour as the keyboard; that might look real neat.
damnstraight
Vic 20 Hobbyist

Post by damnstraight »

As far as the dead 64, I would check your voltages, then take a logic probe and make sure the clock is ticking. If thats the case toggle the power on and off quick and see if anything displays on the screen. Sometimes a broken pal will display blank screen, but when power is toggled you get garbage. At any rate I would bet its the pal. I purchased about 50 back when I repaired commodores, and that was the most often to fail. I think I only have about 6 left.
I thunk once and it hurt!
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

I think you mean PLA? Out of the four boards with chips, one displays garbage, and the other three a blank (black) screen. The PLA is soldered to the board on all motherboards, and I yet didn't have time or interest to get into trying to repair it. Maybe later.

By the way, I brought out my C64C anyway.
Anders Carlsson

Image Image Image Image Image