More tales of ebay

Vic 20 Item Exchange

Moderator: Moderators

Jeff-20
Denial Founder

More tales of ebay

Post by Jeff-20 »

My ebay pattern:

I decide I want an item, "item X". I cruise ebay a get a feel for the market. Suddenly the prices start to rise! (I'm not sure why this always seems to happen; maybe it's just my perception).

Next, item X sells for an outrageous ammount. This time, item X is a boxed system for over $800. Then, while I am looking at active and completed auctions, I notice a Buy-It-Now auction that has just closed for item X at an outrageously low price (just over $20). . . and I just missed it!!

Why would someone post a Buy-It-Now for such a low price?? Don't they check completed auctions first? Or mabe it's a scam? Do buyers really sit around preying on Immediate purchase items? It seems odd to have an item close for over $800 and immediately the identical item is offered for immediate purchase at $25.

This has happened often enough for me to wonder. When I look at my Item Watch List, I can see at least three example in the last 30 days.
High Scores, Links, and Jeff's Basic Games page.
Centallica
Pinballer

Re: More tales of ebay

Post by Centallica »

Jeff-20 wrote:My ebay pattern:

I decide I want an item, "item X". I cruise ebay a get a feel for the market. Suddenly the prices start to rise! (I'm not sure why this always seems to happen; maybe it's just my perception).

Next, item X sells for an outrageous ammount. This time, item X is a boxed system for over $800. Then, while I am looking at active and completed auctions, I notice a Buy-It-Now auction that has just closed for item X at an outrageously low price (just over $20). . . and I just missed it!!

Why would someone post a Buy-It-Now for such a low price?? Don't they check completed auctions first? Or mabe it's a scam? Do buyers really sit around preying on Immediate purchase items? It seems odd to have an item close for over $800 and immediately the identical item is offered for immediate purchase at $25.

This has happened often enough for me to wonder. When I look at my Item Watch List, I can see at least three example in the last 30 days.
I think you should buy the Vic-20 boxes now before they go to Ebay Jeff :lol:

Brian
gklinger
Vic 20 Elite

Post by gklinger »

Alright, what's it going to cost us to find out what "item X" is? :)

Could you just contact the person whose auction closed and offer them their buy-it-now price? They might be pleased to be rid of it without having to relist and all that.
In the end it will be as if nothing ever happened.
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

I'm actually looking for quite boring things lately. Boxed Colecovision and Intellivision systems...

The Intellivision finished for $810 and then someone posted a buy-it-now for $25 almost identical. It sold immediately before I could notice it. I think within the first 30 minutes... I saw the closed auction a minute or two later.

A colecovision boxed just sold for $600.
PaulQ
undead vic

Post by PaulQ »

On a rare occasion, I've come across an item with a great staring auction price and a good buy-it-now price, then it mysteriously disappears. I'm suspecting the seller realizes what it could be worth and pulls it before someone nabs it.
wiskow
Vic 20 Devotee

Post by wiskow »

Jeff-20 wrote:I'm actually looking for quite boring things lately. Boxed Colecovision and Intellivision systems...
Nice...

Intellivision was my first game system... I've still got it, and it still works great! :-)

-Andrew
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

I found one that was mislabeled. I waited until the last moment, but I woke up late (after the auction just ended). And a nearly identical boxed Intellivision as the one that finished for $800+ closed at $15.

I really need to start using a sniper service.