Lastest C=VGA News....

Discuss anything related to the VIC
d0c
Vic 20 Devotee

Lastest C=VGA News....

Post by d0c »

okay i just found this... the latest news about c=vga project(use pc monitor with c64).... i just wanted to share this with you guys, if anyone missed this little bit of news...
LATEST UPDATE - 26th February 2007

Hi everybody, updates to the C=VGA page (and all the other pages here too for that matter) have not been foremost on my job list recently :-( I am still in the throws of sorting out the mess of all the refunds from orders relating to Maurice. Unfortunately I am only one person and as I am having to do extra work to refund people I have had to put all thoughts of Commodore related matters to the back of my mind.

So, whats happening with the C=VGA ? Well, after a spell of not being able to contact Neil about the project I have finaly managed to have a chat with him and simply put, he no longer can continue his work as his time and expertise are needed elsewhere - BUT - that is not the end of the C=VGA. This is what I have planned, in May I am in Florida on a family holiday, I will be collecting all my Commodore stuff from Neil and any stuff relating to the C=VGA and bringing back to the UK with me. Between now and then I am having talks with two or three people to see if it is viable to continue the project and get it finished this year. If nobody is willing to finish off this project then it will be cancelled and all money will be refunded to those who contributed over the years. On a personal note, to see this project fail would be a huge blow as I have spent a lot of time and a huge amount of money and hardware on it. Also, if this fails I will have the added hassle of refunding the money, most of which has been spent on purchasing components, software and all the other bits and pieces that go into such a project.

So, by the end of May 2007 we will know one way or the other if the C=VGA will be completed or terminated. Here's hoping !

Note : I have just tried to send everyone on the email list an updated note but the list is corrupt (yet again), I can't be bothered to rebuild it for a fifth time so all future news will be made here unless I can find a recent working email database.
http://commodorescene.servebbs.org/vga.html

lets hope the c=vga becomes a reality and not just a dream....
1983 vic20 & 3k-16k ram expansion....
ral-clan
plays wooden flutes

Post by ral-clan »

This is neat, but I'm wondering what it would be useful for, since C-64's already output a CHROMA/LUMA/SYNC signal on separate lines and can be used with any modern TV? A C64 output should already look damn good on a modern flat panel LCD TV screen. Would there be a demand for this product?
Zeela
Vic 20 Enthusiast

Post by Zeela »

The main advantage of this product was that it should be able to handle tha RGBI video from the C128. (RGBI ~ CGA) And there isn't all too many such converters out there.
Check out my humble collection of old 'puters an such
http://www.zeela.se
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

Actually, to this date I don't think there is a single off-the-shelf product that converts the C128 RGBI to anything "modern". I remember in the beginning of the C=VGA project, slightly modified (thus fake) pictures of an unrelated video converter circulated as proof of the actual product.
Anders Carlsson

Image Image Image Image Image
Zeela
Vic 20 Enthusiast

Post by Zeela »

Aren't there any CGA to VGA converters around?
They should work.

But the nice thing about C=VGA would have been that ONE box could handle all video outputs from a C128.
PaulQ
undead vic

Post by PaulQ »

Didn't the 1802/1902 and 1084 monitors handle both of the C128's video outputs?
Zeela
Vic 20 Enthusiast

Post by Zeela »

Yes they did. And still do :wink:

But they are getting harder and harder to find.
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

Of course, a TV with SCART or similar should also be able to handle RGBI, perhaps with addition of a few resistors in case the C128 outputs a higher voltage than the TV expects. But for those who have a nice VGA class monitor, some converter is required.
Anders Carlsson

LoadError
Vic 20 Hobbyist

Post by LoadError »

I've done it the other way round... I'm using my Commodore 1702 as a TV screen, and it's pretty darn good at it! 8)
If I feel like Commodore'ing, I just have to flip the rear switch and voila... CBM BASIC V2. 8)
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

Anyone who hi-jacked a local cable TV station or similar, and plugged in their computer for the show "The Weekly VIC Hour"?
Anders Carlsson