halloween / spooky theme vic 20 games

Discussion, Reviews & High-scores

Moderator: Moderators

vic user
VicGyver

halloween / spooky theme vic 20 games

Post by vic user »

i am planning on having a multi-platform multi-computer halloween / spooky theme game night (yep a mouthful), in late october.

do you know of any vic 20 games that fall under this category?

i know of 'the count' and 'ghost manor', and i am thinking of popping in 'demon attack' for the hell of it, but that's all i know of
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

Brian Ketterling had a really cool Skull program... I haven't been able to locate him in quite some time.
High Scores, Links, and Jeff's Basic Games page.
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

I suppose maze games like Sword of Fargoal or Temple of Apshai are much too cheerful for your Halloween theme? Right now I can't think of any real horror games. Many adventure games try to take on a spooky feel, but not so often they succeed in gripping the player (IMHO).

(Pac-Man is all about ghosts, though :-)
Anders Carlsson

Image Image Image Image Image
vic user
VicGyver

Post by vic user »

if i am throwing in demon attack, then pac man with his ghosts, should also make it in then!

i'll scoure the tape titles, and see if i can find something.

the 64 was easy to pick for!
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

Maybe Bewitched is more spooky than Pac-Man, although neither gives me the creeps. I can imagine you have a bigger selection on the C64 side, not only because it was commercially running for longer but also was released later when the industry had figured out what to use a computer for (if you see what I mean).

Too bad there is no Forbidden Forest on the VIC-20.
Anders Carlsson

Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

There was a type in program from Compute magazine called Goodbye Charlie... it was about walking around a grave yard and avoiding tombstones...

the game isn't very good tho'.
High Scores, Links, and Jeff's Basic Games page.
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

Maybe it's time for another (Basic?) compo: write a creepy VIC-20 game before Halloween, which is two months away. :wink:
Anders Carlsson

Mayhem
High Bidder

Post by Mayhem »

I've got a TAP I did of a text adventure called Nosferatu sitting on my HD here...
Lie with passion and be forever damned...
vic user
VicGyver

Post by vic user »

would you like to supply a link to a .prg file of that for us?

greatly appreciated if you do! :)
Mayhem
High Bidder

Post by Mayhem »

I don't believe any emulator image of the game exists outside of the TAP I did for the author of the game itself. That's why he asked me to do it for him (along with some other adventures he'd written) from his originals. So it's TAP or nothing. I'll have a look for it, I'm sure he won't mind it being distributed...
Lie with passion and be forever damned...
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

Once working TAP, any other neccessary conversions can be done by third party (privately).

By the way, I remember a Basic listing in Commodore User (UK) for a game called "Dracula". It is on one of my floppies, and I could upload it if required. It is some maze game where you should find your way to the coffin before the crosses get you or something.
Anders Carlsson

Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

Wasn't there a Frankenstein game for the vic as a type-in program?
hasseapa
Vic 20 Devotee

Post by hasseapa »

I guess Halloween is over... However, besides several text adventures there is a Commodore tape game, Spectre, for 16k expanded Vic. As I remember, it was pretty rubbish, though, and probably written in Basic. I have a swedish review in front of me. They write about ghosts, apemen, and werewolves in a haunted hause. They gave it 10/10 but I remember playing it a while after thinking they were full of s**t. Perhaps, I didn't gave it enough of a try but the graphics were ugly and jerky.
vic user
VicGyver

Post by vic user »

quite a lot of time until the next Halloween, perhaps it would be good to have a list of games and perhaps a zip file of them all.
ral-clan
plays wooden flutes

Post by ral-clan »

Didn't someone post a scanned copy of a USBORNE book called "Creepy Games" or something a few months ago? The whole book was BASIC type in programs alonga monster/horror theme. They were mostly multi-platform generic BASIC games with little graphics, though.