eBay (and other auction) Questions

Discuss anything related to the VIC
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

eBay (and other auction) Questions

Post by Jeff-20 »

1. Are eBay's (and other online auction site's) images protected legally in any way? For example: If I find an image of rare hardware in an auction description, would it be okay (legally, ethically) to copy the image and publicly display it in an archive?

2. Do you suppose that ebay history records are maintained? If I wanted a record of all items I have ever sold on eBay, would they still exist? Does ebay keep these records? Would I or the public have access to these records?
nippur72
de Lagash

Post by nippur72 »

I vaguely remember from ebay privacy policy that after 90 days from the end of the auction the data are deleted and are no longer accessible to the public. They probably store them in their archives but don't let everybody access.

As for the copyright issue, theorically the rights belongs to the seller but in my opinion it's ethically ok to copy them and save from oblivion.
Schema
factor

Post by Schema »

1. Copyright for photos belongs to whoever took the photo, unless they licensed it to someone else. If it's for your own use, just download it and save it. If you want to publicly display it though, I would ask for permission first.
ral-clan
plays wooden flutes

Post by ral-clan »

Well, I always grab images of rare VIC hardware and software from Ebay auctions for use in case some kind of VIC archive is ever established (I know still I owe someone a disc :oops: ). Been doing it for the past five years or so and I must have thousands of images by now. I used to ask for permission at the beginning but it became to cumbersome, and often the sellers didn't really care and would not even respond.

Honestly, I think that most of these auction posters are just in it for the sale and regard the image of the items as disposable. I don't think you would be challenged if you re-used them. Although I suppose "technically" you would be breaking copyright law.

Just to be safe, remove the photoshack (or whatever it is) logo in the bottom right corner.

Like NIPPUR said: I think it's better to save some visual record of this hardware from oblivion by grabbing these images. Since I can't afford to purchase and physically save all this hardware, this is the next best thing.

It's just like the ROM/game image issue....not every one of the owners of the VIC ROMs floating around have been contacted, but we still archive the ROMs and distribute them...it's the only thing that has saved them from oblivion, because really, in some cases, the original copyright holders have destroyed all the master material, and don't even care.
gklinger
Vic 20 Elite

Post by gklinger »

ral-clan wrote:I used to ask for permission at the beginning but it became to cumbersome, and often the sellers didn't really care and would not even respond.
There's an old saying that goes, "It's easier to ask for forgiveness afterwards than permission beforehand" and I think it applies in this case.
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

I have a horde of pics I'd like to add to the main page, but I wouldn't want to get in trouble.