Prince of Persia

Discussion, Reviews & High-scores

Moderator: Moderators

AndyH
Vic 20 Afficionado

Re: Prince of Persia

Post by AndyH »

Lechuck wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:30 am
bjonte wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:09 pm This looks fantastic! The wall perspective suits the hardware and hides the wide pixels nicely. Good choice to use hires.
Thanks!

yes, it would have been great to have the 'Prince' drawn in multicolor mode (using three colors as the C64 version), but the losse in resolution, didn't worth it (IMHO). Using Hires allows a very recognizable aspect, even in just Black & White.

Cheers
I think you made the right call there.
--
AndyH
HEWCO | Vic 20 blog
ibaldachini
Vic 20 Newbie

Post by ibaldachini »

Super very good work!!

I downloaded pop 1.2,

I notice of you hold Fire when running, the release direction but maintain hold Fire , Kids continues run (i do not think it's the night behaviour).

And I have very difficult tò make a right jump or left Jump from a standatill. Sometimes It Jump up and bot in the night direction, sometimes It moves left or right without Jump, and I'm pretty sure Is not a Joystick problem.

But, again, vey good work, I very appreciate It.

And excuse me for my bad english....
Lechuck
Vic 20 Enthusiast

Post by Lechuck »

AndyH wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:40 pm
Lechuck wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:30 am
yes, it would have been great to have the 'Prince' drawn in multicolor mode (using three colors as the C64 version), but the losse in resolution, didn't worth it (IMHO). Using Hires allows a very recognizable aspect, even in just Black & White.
I think you made the right call there.
Thanks. Yes, agree. But still think it is a pitty not having used the multicolor mode somewhere (it is a nice feature in the VIC). I was trying it for the frame, in the presentation screen, but I didn't find something I like and I ended doing it just red.

Cheers
Lechuck
Vic 20 Enthusiast

Post by Lechuck »

ibaldachini wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:33 pm Super very good work!!
Thanks!
ibaldachini wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:33 pm I downloaded pop 1.2,

I notice of you hold Fire when running, the release direction but maintain hold Fire , Kids continues run (i do not think it's the night behaviour).
You are totally right. It happens as you describe, and no, that is not the right behaviour. I have just fixed that. Will upload a new version later today with some other fixes/corrections. Will include that one too. Thanks.
ibaldachini wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:33 pm And I have very difficult tò make a right jump or left Jump from a standatill. Sometimes It Jump up and bot in the night direction, sometimes It moves left or right without Jump, and I'm pretty sure Is not a Joystick problem.
Yes, this can be tricky (I think it works slightly different than what I remember from the DOS version).
In the VIC, the right sequence is: hit up (that way the kid will start a jump up) and, quickly (don't need to be very, very quick, you have some time for that), release up and hit right/left. But the trick is to keep right/left pressed for a while (until you see the lateral jump has started). With that it should work. Although, to be honest, I always found it dificult to play this game with the Joystick (keyboard allowed me a better control.
ibaldachini wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:33 pm And excuse me for my bad english....
Absolutely no problem with your english. It is not my mother tongue either.

Cheers
Lechuck
Vic 20 Enthusiast

Post by Lechuck »

Hi,

I have uploaded a new version (1.3) with some fixes/corrections:

- When hit from tiles falling from the ceiling, kid was only loosing a live if standing below. Now, the only way to avoid loosing a life is to crouch

- Increased dificulty of sword fighting. Now a quick delay is set after attacking. That gives the guard, time to do his move (attacking or defending)

- Skeleton is now harder to kill (it now has 5 lives instead of 3, and defends more often)

- When standing to the left of a gate, a simple jump (pressing 'Up') would put you in the other side of the gate. In fact kid wasn't moved, but variable indicating it was to the left of the gate was switched, giving you the option to simple run to the other side of the gate without opening the door. That is now fixed.

- Avoided some of the color clash. Now, when standing in front of a torch holder, kid's head is white (no yellow). The color white is kept when he turns arroud or starts running from that position until the holder is visible again . Other color clashes (when runing or jumping) are still there

- When running in one direction, if 'Fire' (or 'special key) was pressed, kid kept running in the same direction even if no Left or Right keys were pressed (thanks, ibaldachini, for pointing that out).

- After jumping while running, to the left or to the right, if 'Up' key was kept pressed, kid kept running in the same direction even if key to move in the opposite direction was pressed.

Cheers
kokkiklhs
Vic 20 Dabbler

Post by kokkiklhs »

Amazing job, thank you!!!
Lechuck
Vic 20 Enthusiast

Post by Lechuck »

kokkiklhs wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 4:19 am Amazing job, thank you!!!
Thanks!
Kweepa
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by Kweepa »

Incredible work! :shock:
I had to check the top of the thread to see if it was April 1st.
Lechuck
Vic 20 Enthusiast

Post by Lechuck »

Kweepa wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 10:59 am Incredible work! :shock:
Thanks!
Kweepa wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 10:59 am I had to check the top of the thread to see if it was April 1st.
:) No, I would never joke with the VIC :)

Cheers
scalz8
Vic 20 Newbie

Post by scalz8 »

Simply amazing! I am so enthusiastic about your great and ambitious conversion... It is a milestone, as per the Doom version, years ago... Many congrats. You are our hero!!! :D :D :D :D
Lechuck
Vic 20 Enthusiast

Post by Lechuck »

scalz8 wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:21 am Simply amazing! I am so enthusiastic about your great and ambitious conversion... It is a milestone, as per the Doom version, years ago... Many congrats. You are our hero!!! :D :D :D :D
Thanks a lot for your feedback. I’m glad you liked it!

Cheers
Ghislain
Realms of Quest

Post by Ghislain »

I just found out about this game on Youtube... thank you!

WHAT AN AMAZING ACHIEVEMENT

I was able to convert the screen centering to NTSC as follows:

LOAD"LOADER.PRG",8
POKE 7169,0
POKE 7174,13
SAVE"@0:LOADER.PRG",8

While the the size of the screen is just a little bit too big for the NTSC (a few pixels are cut off on the sides after the screen is centered), the above modification will make it easier for those of us in North America to enjoy your game ;)
"A slave is one who waits for someone to come and free him." -- Ezra Pound
folkoh
Vic 20 Amateur

Post by folkoh »

Congratulations!

I am following VIC 20 games since 1982.
For the system this is the best conversion of a game from far more powerful computers ever written. There. I said it. 😂

The beauty of retro computing is, that there seems to be no ending to surprises like this, year for year.

Thank you!
Lechuck
Vic 20 Enthusiast

Post by Lechuck »

Ghislain wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:54 pm I just found out about this game on Youtube... thank you!

WHAT AN AMAZING ACHIEVEMENT
Thanks!
Ghislain wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:54 pm I was able to convert the screen centering to NTSC as follows:

LOAD"LOADER.PRG",8
POKE 7169,0
POKE 7174,13
SAVE"@0:LOADER.PRG",8

While the the size of the screen is just a little bit too big for the NTSC (a few pixels are cut off on the sides after the screen is centered), the above modification will make it easier for those of us in North America to enjoy your game ;)
Thanks for that. As the game is using 27 columns, I was asuming it wouldn't look OK in NTSC and was initializing it just for PAL (my bad...). Good to see it might be also 'playable' (to some extent) in NTSC.

Cheers
Lechuck
Vic 20 Enthusiast

Post by Lechuck »

folkoh wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:01 pm Congratulations!

I am following VIC 20 games since 1982.
For the system this is the best conversion of a game from far more powerful computers ever written. There. I said it. 😂

The beauty of retro computing is, that there seems to be no ending to surprises like this, year for year.

Thank you!
Thanks a lot for your feedback. Glad you liked it.

Cheers