CBM prg Studio

You need an actual VIC.

Moderator: Moderators

darkatx
Vic 20 Afficionado

Re: CBM prg Studio

Post by darkatx »

I can confirm after finally getting around to it, that it does launch in wine with little issue.
The only thing to keep in mind would be that you need to load VICE in Wine too or at least have access to the EXE (if you have dual boot) as you cannot use a native one in Linux.
Using Linux Mint 21.2 MATE
Learning all the time... :)
groepaz
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by groepaz »

Isn't it using the remote monitor protocol do it's stuff? In that case it should be totally possible to use the linux version of VICE - at least i don't see why not.
I'm just a Software Guy who has no Idea how the Hardware works. Don't listen to me.
darkatx
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by darkatx »

groepaz wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 9:18 am Isn't it using the remote monitor protocol do it's stuff? In that case it should be totally possible to use the linux version of VICE - at least i don't see why not.
For the life of me I can't get it to accept a path nor keep it saved. The minute I hit OK its gone again when I try build and run. The main thing is I can save and build code - dragging it into VICE manually is not a deal-breaker.
ajordison
Vic 20 Enthusiast

Post by ajordison »

Just a quick note to say version 4.2.1 has been released. Link in my signature.
Try out CBM prg Studio over at www.ajordison.co.uk
ajordison
Vic 20 Enthusiast

Post by ajordison »

Just another quick note to say that there was a bug in version 4.2.1 where some BASIC programs which contained screen codes were not being generated properly. This has been fixed, link in my signature.
darkatx
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by darkatx »

Installed and working on Linux Mint MATE 21.2 Victoria.

Even have it working with VICE now :)

Thank you!
ajordison
Vic 20 Enthusiast

Post by ajordison »

Thanks for confirming it works. Was it tricky to get it to work under Linux? It's always been a problem in the past!
darkatx
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by darkatx »

I used Wine and it automatically installed Mono (which I heard might not be advised) but it loads up and runs.
It's been a while using it but once I imported a cbmprj file I was able to save my settings (emulator path and prj path) and build and launch in VICE with no problem.

Haven't tried the debugger yet. Will play with it most likely tonight or tomorrow.
Merytsetesh
Vic 20 Amateur

Post by Merytsetesh »

I have downloaded this and got it running, though I've yet to sit down and seriously get any work done. I have a couple of questions:
  1. Is it better to start with the built-in assembler and then move to the Kick assembler, or just byte the bullet and go with Kick straight away? I know Javascript from nothing...
  2. Is there an easy way to get CBM Prg Studio to work with, or at least talk to, GitHub? I'd like to be able to use version control as I have a feeling I'm going to need it.
Thank you,

M
ajordison
Vic 20 Enthusiast

Post by ajordison »

Well from the feedback I get a lot of users will get started with the built in assembler and then move on to kick assembler, though not necessarily using CBM prg Studio.

At the start users like how everything is integrated and there's very little setup required, usually just setting a few directories. As they progress though users might switch to Kick but that requires setting up (if not using CBM prg studio) editors (like VS Code) and other toolchains.

So basically it's up to you. If the intention was to use Kick eventually (which CBM prg Studio can help with) then use that. My assembler's syntax is different from kick's so it would only be something to re-learn.

CBM prg Studio can be used with a local git repository. Please see the tutorial in the help.

Let me know if you have any problems.
Merytsetesh
Vic 20 Amateur

Post by Merytsetesh »

ajordison wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 1:03 pm Well from the feedback I get a lot of users will get started with the built in assembler and then move on to kick assembler, though not necessarily using CBM prg Studio.

At the start users like how everything is integrated and there's very little setup required, usually just setting a few directories. As they progress though users might switch to Kick but that requires setting up (if not using CBM prg studio) editors (like VS Code) and other toolchains.
This was my feeling exactly. :-) I much prefer a smaller learning curve at the moment. I have only so much brain these days. :-)
ajordison wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 1:03 pm CBM prg Studio can be used with a local git repository. Please see the tutorial in the help.
I will do that. I had created a repository at github.com, but I don't mind hosting it locally if that's what works with Studio.
ajordison wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 1:03 pm Let me know if you have any problems.
I shall, and thank you for your reply. :-)

M
Merytsetesh
Vic 20 Amateur

Post by Merytsetesh »

One interesting quirk: I just started a new project for the VIC20+8K and a window popped up warning that CBM Prg Studio couldn't target the Mega65. I noticed that the radio button for the Mega65 is next to the button for the VIC20+8K. I was just curious if this was deliberate or a feature. :-)

M
ajordison
Vic 20 Enthusiast

Post by ajordison »

I can't recreate this, but then I've been working on the project creation code so my version is different from yours.

Was this a one off or can you recreate it?
Merytsetesh
Vic 20 Amateur

Post by Merytsetesh »

I tried right now, just after reading your reply. With VIC+8k selected, the window pops up warning that the assembler does not target the Mega65.

Also, I just found that if you start the Create Project wizard with the splash screen still up, it remains up. It went away only when I clicked 'cancel' on the wizard.
ajordison
Vic 20 Enthusiast

Post by ajordison »

pm sent