New Game: FiZZ for Vic20 (35Kb)

Discussion, Reviews & High-scores

Moderator: Moderators

fleischgemuese
Vic 20 Newbie

Re: New Game: FiZZ for Vic20 (35Kb)

Post by fleischgemuese »

Mike wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 3:27 pm
Mike wrote:FiZZ will get an extensive playthrough on original hardware this weekend, [...]
So we did on Sunday evening. After roughly 1 1/2 hours, we arrived at Level 22 ...

... but then, the delivery boy rang the bell and brought the lunch order: two big Hamburgers and French Fries for the two hungry puzzlers. :mrgreen:

On the way to Level 22 we encountered some nice puzzles, The Trap being one of the more memorable ones. It is quite funny how one "runs" outside the rectangle in the middle of the screen to find a way in - and then find the way out. 8)

We will continue the game on one of the next weekends - thankfully there is a level selector so we can re-start the game at Level 22 then. :)
fleischgemuese wrote:(maybe you record it for YT?)
Sadly, I do not have the necessary equipment at my place to do this. Anyhow, I concur with Ola H here: seeing the solutions would spoil most of the fun.
Nice to see that you have fun with the game, thank you. So it was a bit effort to bring it to C64 and Vic 20. good not to spoil the levels. Keep going the levels will definitely be more challenging :-)
hasseapa
Vic 20 Devotee

Post by hasseapa »

Some feedback from me.

(I have only tested the one-player, one char levels)

Pressing up for jump while pushing left or right (i.e. a long jump or running jump) is inconsistently handled. Left results in a flying jump, right in no jump at all. (I do understand that long jumps over chasms, as typical in platform games, are not meant to feature).

Level 12 was tricky. In part because of devious puzzle design, but also due to some confusing parts:

-Why can I only hang from the rope while gravity is in reverse/up-direction? In some places I can stand on the “wrap-around floor” (no hang frame), in some places I fall through.

-Sometimes a laser ray turns while exiting a portal, sometimes it keeps its original direction.

“Portals”, level 14 is my favorite puzzle so far. Minimalistic but very challenging. In a Youtube video “Portals” is instead level 8. Has it been changed?

The in-game hints and comments are a very nice touch.

I tried the C64 version too, but I actually think the small 8x8 objects of the Vic version are more readable (due to more color coding/differentiation) so I will keep playing on Vic.

Thank you for porting the game to Vic! It’s a very complex puzzle game and designing the puzzles must have been even harder than solving them.
fleischgemuese
Vic 20 Newbie

Post by fleischgemuese »

hasseapa wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 9:02 am Some feedback from me.

(I have only tested the one-player, one char levels)

Pressing up for jump while pushing left or right (i.e. a long jump or running jump) is inconsistently handled. Left results in a flying jump, right in no jump at all. (I do understand that long jumps over chasms, as typical in platform games, are not meant to feature).

Level 12 was tricky. In part because of devious puzzle design, but also due to some confusing parts:

-Why can I only hang from the rope while gravity is in reverse/up-direction? In some places I can stand on the “wrap-around floor” (no hang frame), in some places I fall through.

-Sometimes a laser ray turns while exiting a portal, sometimes it keeps its original direction.

“Portals”, level 14 is my favorite puzzle so far. Minimalistic but very challenging. In a Youtube video “Portals” is instead level 8. Has it been changed?

The in-game hints and comments are a very nice touch.

I tried the C64 version too, but I actually think the small 8x8 objects of the Vic version are more readable (due to more color coding/differentiation) so I will keep playing on Vic.

Thank you for porting the game to Vic! It’s a very complex puzzle game and designing the puzzles must have been even harder than solving them.
Thank you for your feedback to the game. Actually I didn't notice the jump/left bug, but I think the gameplay is not harmed. Jumping over gaps was not designed for, jumping it not really the issue better find other ways. Regarding the robes: It is related to the gravity and the matrix structure that the character can only grab the correct robe position, but I used it only rarely because it might be confusing. If you fire through a portal I think it is always the opposite direction you created the other portal, but no levels are depending on this logic to resolve. If I find some time I could fix the jump/left bug... Seems that you did some good testing. Ah, and I changed the order of the levels... the "portals" levels was too difficult that early.

Designing the levels was quite an effort but I could reuse some levels from the Java game I made 10 years ago. For the C64 I added a levelbuilder tool . Maybe it is interested for somebody someday... I could also provide it for the Vic20, but seems no one is interested.

Keep going you have 34 + 30 levels more to solve... :-)
hasseapa
Vic 20 Devotee

Post by hasseapa »

Hey, how did you know that my favorite level also was my last completed level? Elementary psychology, I guess :lol:

Anyway, yesterday I completed a few more. Level 17 & 19 were surprisingly easy (pleasant surprise). 20 was also quickly solved, but mostly through a little trial and error.

Level 18, The Trap, was interesting. I solved it without using the portals at all. I used the "switch position block" both to reach the switch button and to escape the inner area. As this required some "arcadey" dexterity & timing, I suspected this solution was not the intended one and decided to check with the C64 walkthrough video on Youtube. To my surprise it was solved in an even more arcadey way - via the aforementioned running jumps! He uses them to move against the conveyor-belt/1-way track. Now, this is not possible in the Vic version, because running jumps work differently in the C64 version (but still inconsistently between left and right). Then I returned to the level and completed it with the portals, in what I think is the intended way.

I will most likely return to your game and play more levels later on, but for now, I have a 2-year backlog of Vic games to check and play :shock:
fleischgemuese
Vic 20 Newbie

Post by fleischgemuese »

Hello,

I added the TRSE source code for FiZZ on github and added a workaround for a compiler bug... now it is working again.

https://github.com/adaumann/fizz20

Andy