Extremely Rare Ala Software game for C64 - Whiz Kid

Other Computers and Game Systems

Moderator: Moderators

Barney
Vic 20 Afficionado

Extremely Rare Ala Software game for C64 - Whiz Kid

Post by Barney »

Here is an extremely rare game I have for the Commodore 64. Retrocollector.org, which has almost every game imaginable doesn't even have this one listed. I converted tape to .tap file. I have not yet tried running it, so maybe somebody here can try. Also, if anybody has a means to convert it to a D64 file, that would be awesome.

Note: When using the Audiotap program, for this game I selected "inverted waveform" like I would on vic-20 files. is that correct?
Attachments
20240206_132739.jpg
20240206_132105.jpg
20240206_132100.jpg
20240206_123811.jpg
Whiz Kid Wav.zip
(24.49 MiB) Downloaded 19 times
wk.png
wk.png (118 KiB) Viewed 813 times
Whiz_Kid.zip
(145.27 KiB) Downloaded 25 times
Last edited by Barney on Tue Feb 06, 2024 12:28 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Mike
Herr VC

Re: Extremely Rare Ala Software game for C64 - Whiz Kid

Post by Mike »

Thank you for dumping the tape, however as this is a C64 title it might be of minor interest in the VIC-20 Denial Games section.
Barney wrote:[...] if anybody has a means to convert it to a D64 file, that would be awesome.
You should perhaps place that inquiry in one of the more numerous C64 forums instead.

(mod: thread moved from Games to Other Systems)
groepaz
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by groepaz »

It doesn't seem to work, unfortunately.
When using the Audiotap program, for this game I selected "inverted waveform" like I would on vic-20 files. is that correct?
It depends on your specific setup - but if it produces working vic20 taps for you, it should work the same for c64

please post the original wav :)

edit: SLC of "The Ultimate Tape Archive" also requested scans of the cover/box (all sides) in good quality - then it can be included in the Archive :)
I'm just a Software Guy who has no Idea how the Hardware works. Don't listen to me.
Barney
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by Barney »

I'm currently at work, but when I get home, I will scan the back side of the box. By the way, did anybody have a chance to try out the file and see if it runs? If not, I will try again. Also, later I will attach the original wav file as well. Thanks.
groepaz
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by groepaz »

did anybody have a chance to try out the file and see if it runs?
I get load error in VICE - that may be related to how the wav->tap conversion was done
I'm just a Software Guy who has no Idea how the Hardware works. Don't listen to me.
Barney
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by Barney »

I still have the wav file. I'll create the tap file again but not select "invert waveform this time around.

Note: By the way, in the past I had errors with Vice. It was unable to play tap files I created but they worked fine on an authentic Vic-20. If it works for anybody let me know.
Barney
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by Barney »

I just attached the wav file at my first message above.
groepaz
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by groepaz »

OK cool.... first, i can confirm this is this game: https://csdb.dk/release/?id=182936

There is some weird problem with the .tap i produced, the autostart does not work for some reason.... (but the data can be extracted and the game started by jumping to the right address)

Will play around a bit :)
groepaz
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by groepaz »

OK apparently the original says you should start it with SYS16384 - and that works

https://retrocollector.org/photos/full/26259.jpg

Attached is a working .tap :)

It would be great if you could make hires scans of the tape cover, box, and the cassette itself - then it can be included in the tape archive

Edit: There should have been a small inlay paper too - please also scan that :)
Attachments
WhizKidTAP.zip
(196.3 KiB) Downloaded 28 times
Barney
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by Barney »

Awesome, thanks for getting the game to work.
groepaz
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by groepaz »

Can you do actual scans? The Tape Archive aims for highest quality - i don't think they will accept photos like this
Barney
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by Barney »

They are all actual pictures except for the picture of the front of the box. Do all the pictures need to be re-done? If they do, I have 10 other ALA games that I should upload pictures of as well
groepaz
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by groepaz »

I mean (hires) scans, using a scanner, not a camera.