Please help with overwritten *.d64 (split/OT from: Flappy Bird [...])

You need an actual VIC.

Moderator: Moderators

Soloman
Vic 20 Amateur

Please help with overwritten *.d64 (split/OT from: Flappy Bird [...])

Post by Soloman »

Oh no. This very bad. Flappy killed my floppy :(
In Vice I had my working disk attached. Then I loaded Flappy and played it. Now I turn on Vice and the contents of my working disk is the one of Flappy bird. I was working on my text adventure. Lucky my I printed a listing (file vice.out) and lucky me it is for the unexpanded VIC, so I only have to type it over. But it is a pity it happened and I learned a wise lesson:

- Always make a backup of your disks
- Always detach the disk image in Vice when you attach a new one.

:roll:

When I look on the disk with a disk monitor I see parts of the adventureprogram.
Mike
Herr VC

Re: Please help with overwritten *.d64 (split/OT from: Flappy Bird [...])

Post by Mike »

Soloman wrote:[...]
:?:

IMO, it is somewhat inappropriate to attribute this issue to the game and post about it in the game's thread.

Even on real hardware there exist enough possible scenarios that can lead to data loss with disks, when exchanging disks in the drive mid-operation - especially when the drive activity LED is on. Even though there are some measures in CBM DOS to guard against data loss in this case, open files on the removed disk inevitably end up as "splat" files (marked with "*" next to the file type), which cannot be accessed regularily anymore.

I split this to a new thread in the Emulation & Cross-Development section, upload the defective disk image here and I will see what I can do about it.

If you think this is a bug in VICE, construct a reproducible test case and do a report in the bug tracker on sourceforge.
Soloman
Vic 20 Amateur

Post by Soloman »

Thank you Mike!
I discovered what the cause is of the problem. It is in the settings: Host - Autostart. There I entered my working disk, unkowning that Vice uses this disk when you use Smart attach disk/program. I now replaced it by VIC20-AUTOSTART.d64

I apologize for the inconvenience on this forum. This topic can be closed.
srowe
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by srowe »

Soloman wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 2:43 pm Oh no. This very bad. Flappy killed my floppy :(
In Vice I had my working disk attached. Then I loaded Flappy and played it. Now I turn on Vice and the contents of my working disk is the one of Flappy bird. I was working on my text adventure. Lucky my I printed a listing (file vice.out) and lucky me it is for the unexpanded VIC, so I only have to type it over. But it is a pity it happened and I learned a wise lesson:

- Always make a backup of your disks
- Always detach the disk image in Vice when you attach a new one.

:roll:

When I look on the disk with a disk monitor I see parts of the adventureprogram.
I've written some tools in Python that can edit and repair D64 images

https://pypi.org/project/d64/

If you send me the image I can take a look and see if anything can be recovered from it.
Soloman
Vic 20 Amateur

Post by Soloman »

srowe wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 2:40 am

I've written some tools in Python that can edit and repair D64 images

If you send me the image I can take a look and see if anything can be recovered from it.
Hi Srowe. I appreciate this, but I know how to repair. But I saw that some sectors of the disk were overwritten. In the mean time I retyped the program already.