The Hardhat Climber, 2023 turbo edition

Discussion, Reviews & High-scores

Moderator: Moderators

nippur72
de Lagash

The Hardhat Climber, 2023 turbo edition

Post by nippur72 »

Hi,

I've taken the liberty of creating a slightly enhanced version of "The Hardhat Climber", the iconic type-in BASIC game by Chris Lesher.

After reverse engineering it, I turned it into machine language using the Mospeed compiler, making it a little faster than the original and also implementing flicker-free animation by synchronizing the screen drawing with the raster beam. I've also fixed some minor bugs and added a proper credit/copyright screen page (which didn't fit in the original unexpanded version -- now it requires 16K RAM).

I abstained from making other improvements as I didn't want to deviate from the original gameplay which is simple yet enjoyable.

You can download it from here.

You can also have a look at my reverse engineering work (with comments in italian).

Github repo: https://github.com/nippur72/lo-scalatore
orion70
VICtalian

Re: The Hardhat Climber, 2023 turbo edition

Post by orion70 »

Excellent, very fast! I suck at this, but it brings back memories - when games were made of redefined characters, and a lot of imagination :mrgreen:
Thanks a lot for that, unfortunately I can't understand a tenth of what's written in your comments (and I'm Italian :P ).