1st ANNIVERSARY: Vision BASIC - New Paperback Edition - Fastest BASIC Compiler !

Other Computers and Game Systems

Moderator: Moderators

Marcio D.
Vic 20 Amateur

Re: 1st ANNIVERSARY: Vision BASIC - New Paperback Edition - Fastest BASIC Compiler !

Post by Marcio D. »

groepaz wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 3:55 am And that this is probably true for the vast majority of currently active coders, is what makes the slightly exaggerated marketing speech surrounding this thing a bit amusing.

It's not as exaggerated as you might believe. Vision BASIC does produce faster executables than all the legacy BASIC compilers. And even faster than the MOSpeed cross-compiler, from what I've seen.

And it's sold surprisingly well for a modern-day C64 product, a BASIC programming language no less. Can you get much more niche than that?

No, it's not for folks like you who've settled into fast and efficient workflows long ago. Once you've driven a modern car with power windows, power steering, power mirrors, power everything... why would you want to go back to driving a car without all those amenities?

And yet... some people still love to drive antique cars. It's a lifestyle choice. The difference, though, is that Vision BASIC doesn't produce slow antique code!
groepaz
Vic 20 Scientist

Re: 1st ANNIVERSARY: Vision BASIC - New Paperback Edition - Fastest BASIC Compiler !

Post by groepaz »

It's not as exaggerated as you might believe.
It's not a question of believing. As said before, anything "hit" would be all across the usual places. Let alone "tremendous hit amongst Commodore 64 programmers, from beginners all the way up to seasoned coders."
Vision BASIC does produce faster executables than all the legacy BASIC compilers. And even faster than the MOSpeed cross-compiler, from what I've seen.
Sure. Because in the first place, it doesn't compile the same language, but a subset of it, so it cant even be compared to regular BASIC V2 compilers.
I'm just a Software Guy who has no Idea how the Hardware works. Don't listen to me.
Marcio D.
Vic 20 Amateur

Post by Marcio D. »

groepaz wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 4:29 am It's not a question of believing. As said before, anything "hit" would be all across the usual places. Let alone "tremendous hit amongst Commodore 64 programmers, from beginners all the way up to seasoned coders."

Sure. Because in the first place, it doesn't compile the same language, but a subset of it, so it cant even be compared to regular BASIC V2 compilers.

Fine, I won't use the word "hit" around you. It's just very successful for a C64 programming language sold in the present day.

Is the spring weather nice where you live? Hope you're enjoying yourself there!