The Vixen415 synthesizer

You need an actual VIC.

Moderator: Moderators

garytanin
Vic 20 Newbie

The Vixen415 synthesizer

Post by garytanin »

http://sleepingelephant.com/ipw-web/bul ... 48&start=0

How one would create a DISK from the Vixen415-16k.D64 file you provided?
Is there a way to convert this to a TAPE file so I can read it into my VIC-20 and save it to my DISK?

Sorry for posting this second question, I have not run into a problem like this before, I usually am able to convert 8K blocks into PRG's and easily load a tape with the PRG. I tried converting the D64 to a PRG and the file size is 170K.

It appears this D64 file is a whole disk?

Thank you for your time

(mod: @huffelduff and @garytanin, please check out the Rules for Announcement posts. Thanks.)
huffelduff
Vic 20 Hobbyist

Re: The Vixen415 synthesizer

Post by huffelduff »

garytanin wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 10:57 am How one would create a DISK from the Vixen415-16k.D64 file you provided?
Is there a way to convert this to a TAPE file so I can read it into my VIC-20 and save it to my DISK?

Sorry for posting this second question, I have not run into a problem like this before, I usually am able to convert 8K blocks into PRG's and easily load a tape with the PRG. I tried converting the D64 to a PRG and the file size is 170K.

It appears this D64 file is a whole disk?

Thank you for your time
Hi there Gary,

Thank you for trying to get the Vixen415 working on your Commodore Vic.
Mike (The system admin) will probably move your question to this thread from the 'VIC-20 Software Releases of 2023' thread.

I apologize if I have misunderstood your questions but here goes my understanding of them:
There are many ways to transfer .prg files to tape and I'm going to share one way with you.
I am almost certain there will be a better and more efficient method/s that I am not aware of, so if anyone on the forum has one please share.

So firstly you want to obtain the .prg file on its own.
To do this you need a piece of software called Dirmaster (for Windows) - the link: https://style64.org/dirmaster
This will allow you to open a .d64 (Disk) file and you can the literally drag the 'vixen415-16k.prg' to your desktop.
Then you need a piece of software called: wavprg (for Windows) - the link: https://wav-prg.sourceforge.io/wavprg.html
You can download the GUI version and when you open the application you can select convert PRG to TAP or WAV
So then you convert the .PRGfile to a .WAV audio file, and being an audio guy yourself you know that you can now record the wave file to a cassette tape.

So now the bad news:
The Vixen415 was written with Disk in mind so although the Vixen will load and run from tape, it will not be able to catalog/load/save any sound banks. It defaults to Disk when loading Banks. If you can manage to get the .prg transferred to cassette tape and it works, I will build you (if you want) a custom version of the Vixen415 that has the default sound Bank built in. I'll call it: Gary's Mod

Now for making your own Patches and saving them when using tape?
Unfortunately you'll have to go old school with Patch Cheat sheets.
I've attached an example to this post.

Greetings

H
Attachments
VIXEN415 PATCH CHEAT SHEET FOR MANUAL PATCHING.zip
(365.82 KiB) Downloaded 75 times
garytanin
Vic 20 Newbie

Post by garytanin »

Thank you so much!
BTW, on my own I discovered the method you suggested and have successfully made a PRG of the VIXEN program and already copied it to tape, loaded on my VIC-20 (using block 1&2) and it runs! it looks awesome! so great to see this type of "newbuild" software for this old machine.

I also saved the program to disk and now it loads from disk as well! So I plan to load it from my 1541, now that its transferred.

So I was not clear that I do have a 1541 FLOPPY connected to my VIC-20. That is were I wanted the programs to be saved to. In this case can I save additional files VXN-DEFAULT, etc. to the disk I presume? If I copy those as well, will that allow full program use?

So I may not need the GARYMOD or will it still be required for saving patch Banks? Now that I have all the files transferred to a DISK?

:D

Best

Gary Tanin
huffelduff
Vic 20 Hobbyist

Post by huffelduff »

Hi there Gary,
garytanin wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 2:40 pm In this case can I save additional files VXN-DEFAULT, etc. to the disk I presume?
Yes absolutely.
garytanin wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 2:40 pm So I may not need the GARYMOD or will it still be required for saving patch Banks?
No you nailed it and you don't need any modification to the software.
It does derail a prank I wanted to pull: I would have been able to claim with a straight face that I wrote Gary's Mod https://store.steampowered.com/app/4000/Garrys_Mod/ :D
Oh well...

Anyway keep warm there in Wisconsin

H
garytanin
Vic 20 Newbie

Post by garytanin »

Ha!!

Well, I guess I get an "A" for class today ;) I used to write code for a Defense Contractor (ASTRONAUTICS CORP.) back in the early 80's-1990 so I was pulling on old memories that helped me T-shoot;).

I really do appreciate your reply and help. I'm going to get back to you on my experience with VIXEN, so far it has been awesome, And without consulting the manual. Reminds me a bit like the old MINIMOOG or ARP 2600's UI. I can't believe you got all that amazing art and modern UI look out of that old relic;)

Have a blessed day.

Best,

Gary Tanin
Rich
Vic 20 Hobbyist

Post by Rich »

Thank you for the new programme, nice to see new stuff for VIC!!
huffelduff
Vic 20 Hobbyist

Post by huffelduff »

Rich wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 10:55 am Thank you for the new programme, nice to see new stuff for VIC!!
Absolute pleasure Rich, and have a great 2023.

Greetings

H