Realms of Quest VI progress thread (currently in early planning stages, or I wish I had more free time)

Discussion, Reviews & High-scores

Moderator: Moderators

Ghislain
Realms of Quest

Realms of Quest VI progress thread (currently in early planning stages, or I wish I had more free time)

Post by Ghislain »

1.jpg
(this is just a mockup)

Dislcaimer: I haven't officially started working on this game yet. I'm mostly dabbling, working on a font (inspired from Diablo, but with some differences) and graphics. Regarding the graphics--I've decided that I want to go for a more authentic feeling where I will work on them pixel-by-pixel as opposed to just simply digitizing images that I find on the internet. While this might take longer, I think the aesthetic will be more consistent and will resemble an actual 1980s RPG game. Take note of the red dragon--I drew it entirely by hand using GIMP, and then converted it to VIC-20 graphics format.

I modified Mike's graphics display routine so that I can show 13*13 characters instead of 11*11. This does mean that I have to sacrifice the lower case characters because more graphics memory will be dedicated to images. Having lower case letters in Realms of Quest V made sense because text was an important part of the game. This time around, I would make Realms VI into a dungeon crawler (it actually takes place in a tower), so there won't be as much importance ascribed to text.

One feature that I want to implement is graph bars to depict health and magic levels (instead of numbers). This will make it better to convey the information of the entire party in a broader and clearer manner.

Realistically, I have about 1-2 hours of free time per week to work on this right now. At the pace that I am going, it might take me about 10 years or so to complete it :)

Anyway, I will be mainly posting progress updates on my Twitter feed here: https://twitter.com/hitfan2000
"A slave is one who waits for someone to come and free him." -- Ezra Pound
Barney
Vic 20 Afficionado

Re: Realms of Quest VI progress thread (currently in early planning stages, or I wish I had more free time)

Post by Barney »

That works out perfectly. I retire in 10 years and by then, I will have time to play it. :D :D :D
JavaJack
Vic 20 Drifter

Re: Realms of Quest VI progress thread (currently in early planning stages, or I wish I had more free time)

Post by JavaJack »

For my part, I loved the solid systems and mechanics in ROQV, but ultimately I set it aside because the themes and creatures were too dark for my tastes :cry:

I guess I just like my RPGs a bit more cartoony and light-hearted. Dungeonmans is pretty good in this regard.
joshuadenmark
Big Mover

Post by joshuadenmark »

Love the looks, will follow your posts of progress here as I don’t use other social media.
Kind regards, Peter.
Realms of Quest

Post by Ghislain »

Barney wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 3:38 pm That works out perfectly. I retire in 10 years and by then, I will have time to play it. :D :D :D
I've a feeling that I won't be finished until I retire myself!
JavaJack wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 4:52 pm For my part, I loved the solid systems and mechanics in ROQV, but ultimately I set it aside because the themes and creatures were too dark for my tastes :cry:

I guess I just like my RPGs a bit more cartoony and light-hearted. Dungeonmans is pretty good in this regard.
On the surface, the game might appear dark and serious, but if you read in between the lines, it's very tongue-in-cheek, bordering on parody.

Case in point you can look at this hilarious video from a series about the playthrough of the game:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQVool7 ... el=Zerfall

(Don't click if you don't want to be spoiled by the "shocking" plot twist. 90 videos and counting!)
joshuadenmark wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 10:43 pm Love the looks, will follow your posts of progress here as I don’t use other social media.
I'm going to set up the IDE environment next. I intend to use Visual Studio Code (it actually has a 6502 plugin!) and Github.
Barney
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by Barney »

If that dragon in your picture is a demo of the new graphics, I must say that I really like it a lot. Gives it a nostalgic "Bards Tale like" look.
robinsonmason
Vic 20 Enthusiast

Post by robinsonmason »

Wow, wasn't expecting this, Ghislain! Glad to see you are back! Just recently got a "THEVIC20" from the UK and itching to see if ROQ titles play nicely on it (or not).
Ghislain
Realms of Quest

Post by Ghislain »

I'm using an AI called Midjourney to generate some potential cover artwork (featuring Wandauvial). I know I'm putting a cart before the horse, but this technology generates high quality images in mere minutes. I wish I had this tool five years ago!
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
Ghislain
Realms of Quest

Post by Ghislain »

At least from an ethical standpoint, it's better that I source images from an AI art generator than from scouring Google Images for perfect images to convert to the VIC-20 graphics format (as I did a lot in the previous game).

But still, even though Midjourney helped a lot here for the following example, it still took me about 1.5 hours of tinkering with the image in GIMP in order to make it look good when I import it using PGM Import/Minigrafik:
1.jpg
I still wish there were a faster way. If I am going to generate 200 images, that will become a major investment of my free time, which I do not have in any significant quantities these days.
Mike
Herr VC

Post by Mike »

Ghislain wrote:But still, even though Midjourney helped a lot here for the following example, it still took me about 1.5 hours of tinkering with the image in GIMP in order to make it look good when I import it using PGM Import/Minigrafik: [...]
Well, PGM IMPORT has a rather simple model of the input data: it assumes greyscale input (0..255) and then produces an ordered dither multi-colour picture from it, with the ends of the intensity range fixed to black and white, and any two intermediate colours (of all 16 available). These four colours are dithered into 13 different dither patterns. These dither patterns have been carefully chosen to make gradients as smooth as possible, and 'blend' neighboring patterns as good as possible - especially, for slow gradients they guarantee that there are never pixels with intensity I and I+2 placed next to each other.

By doing that pre-processing step in Gimp, you are actually 'working' against the input model: as can be judged from the output, you supply PGM IMPORT with a 'vetted' greyscale input that effectively only has 4 grey scales (save for a bit hand-crafted dither in the eyelids). Whatever you put into PGM IMPORT, you cannot expect it to be an ideal conversion for anything that involves more than greyscale input, but if you provide it with even more restricted input than what it could do, you neither can expect the program to improve on that.

Now, MINIGRAFIK only does no-frills bitmap graphics on the VIC-I, without fancy interrupts (to change the global colours on each raster, say) or other things like dynamically changing attribute data (which tokra and I employ for the FLI modes). You have 3 global colours, and a free choice of foreground colour and multicolour enable for each 8x16 attribute cell. PGM IMPORT actually does not utilize these abilities fully, as it fixes the attribute data to white foreground and multicolour on, which however is O.K. for the assumed input model.

Several years ago, I tried to apply my findings with the FLI mode converters to the plain MG graphics mode, and arrived at a converter which actually manages (or better said, at least tries) to optimize the 3 global colours and aforementioned attribute data. Sometimes it produces astonishing good results, like the Spider Man picture here ...

(download)

... but often enough the converter does not find a good set of 3 global colours, and then the dithering algorithm helplessly meanders around and produces a wild colour soup at places to approximate colours. Here's another example where I let the converter work on a cropped version of your first example image:

(download)

... which I would consider at the lower end of what is acceptable output. There are considerable block artifacts at places (notably, the red block in the warrior's forehead, and the blocks in light blue/light orange at the hair outline of the lady), MINIPAINT could be used though to rectify most of these.

Even if these two examples somewhat show what is possible within the limits of a MINIGRAFIK bitmap, maybe at the hands of a good pixel artist (who would anyhow likely abhor the wired/dithered output of the converter), I never found that converter fit for a general release, as its results are so unpredictable.

If you want to improve on the looks of earlier installations of RoQ with regard to the full screen images, maybe that's a good incentive to ask a pixel artist to actually get into MINIPAINT, which reflects all possibilities and restrictions of the graphics mode. In the same fashion as PGM IMPORT can be used to import greyscale input, there's PGM IMPORT MONO which allows to import sketches/lineart - so one doesn't have to start from a blank canvas.