PC hard drive partition problems

Discuss anything related to the VIC
Boray
Musical Smurf

PC hard drive partition problems

Post by Boray »

I had one harddisk in my PC with two partitions C and D. Now I have put in a second harddisk (also with two partitions) and what happens now is that the partitions on the old harddisk gets the names C and E and the new one gets the names D and F. This means some things that links to the old D drive doesn't work any more (for example WinUAE) because it now is named E. How can I get the old disk to have C and D and the new one E and F??? I can't find any setting for it in the bios setup. The first drive is connected to the first IDE cable (that only has one connection) as master and the second drive is slave on the second IDE cable (the CD-ROM is master). Any ideas? I have Windows ME.

/Anders
PRG Starter - a VICE helper / Vic Software (Boray Gammon, SD2IEC music player, Vic Disk Menu, Tribbles, Mega Omega, How Many 8K etc.)
Schlowski
NoMess!

Post by Schlowski »

That's normal because primary partitions will come first. Both of your harddisks seem to have a primary partition, so the second primary partition will be sorted before the first extended partition of drive 1. As far as I know no chance to change this via BIOS.

Don't know about Win ME, but in W2K and WinXP you can change drive letters via control panel / (Computerverwaltung) <- don't know the english name of that... Maybe someone else here can help you further on?

Björg
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

Thanks

Computerverwaltung = Computer administration. No, that doesn't seem to be included in Windows ME....

One sollution could be to copy the whole E partition to the D partition... ;)
PRG Starter - a VICE helper / Vic Software (Boray Gammon, SD2IEC music player, Vic Disk Menu, Tribbles, Mega Omega, How Many 8K etc.)
Jaicen
Vic 20 Dabbler

Post by Jaicen »

If you're running ME it should be possible to just boot into DOS and run Partition magic or whatever it's called. In that you can make the second hard drives secondary partitions. That way you can restore the orginal drive letters.
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

Thanks. But I have got everything to work anyway now. ...by changing the links and filenames...

Thanks...