Help naming a game

Discussion, Reviews & High-scores

Moderator: Moderators

Brad
Vic 20 Drifter

Help naming a game

Post by Brad »

Hi,

So towards the mid 80s I think, if found a bunch of new games on a market stall in Maldon, Essex in the UK. All of them were published by either Thorn EMI or a similar style company I.e. a well known (to the uk at least) electrical brand. The game I’m interested in had some sort of Egyptian theme and the graphical fidelity was excellent compared to most vic games. Very smooth movement as I recall.

It has been suggested that I’m talking about Pharao’s Curse and that might be correct but the publisher doesn’t tie up. Can anyone help!?
srowe
Vic 20 Scientist

Re: Help naming a game

Post by srowe »

Was it a cartridge or tape?
Brad
Vic 20 Drifter

Post by Brad »

Tape
srowe
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by srowe »

Nothing that matches in the Thorn EMI catalogue from 1983

http://pdf.textfiles.com/jscott/1983-th ... atalog.pdf

I've had a scan through all my VicSoft catalogues, can't see anything there either.
Brad
Vic 20 Drifter

Post by Brad »

Yeah all online searches say I’m making this up. But I’m not. This must be a missing game. It’ll show up eventually somewhere. Was hoping someone here would know what I’m talking about!
prowlr
Vic 20 Amateur

Post by prowlr »

Brad
Vic 20 Drifter

Post by Brad »

Neither of those I'm afraid. As I say, Pharaoh's Curse is the most likely but the publisher is absolutely key. Of all the Vic-20 publishers I can find on the various "every vic game ever made" lists Thorn EMI is the most likely, to the point that I really think it was them that published it, but crucially the game does not appear in any Thorn EMI lists on the internet. I've got the Vic up and running with a pi1541 drive now so i'll download 'Curse and see if that's the one.
Mayhem
High Bidder

Post by Mayhem »

Howdy Brad, over from BD ;) sorry, not been able to further identify things my end either...
Lie with passion and be forever damned...
Brad
Vic 20 Drifter

Post by Brad »

No worries chief! I now am suspecting my own recollection. The hunt will continue though!
Brad
Vic 20 Drifter

Post by Brad »

Awise fwom your gwave etc.

I now believe it was Pharoah's curse. Can't get it to run though. have grabbed the .d64 and it seems to load in 2 parts. The first part has some basic that you run that then does some more loading of a00 and then 600 and then leaves the cursor on a sys call but that just jumps back to the ready prompt. Any hints?

EDIT: An explanation over the confusion. I believe bought Pharoah's Curse and Computer War, on tape from a market stall at the same time. Computer War is indeed by Thorn EMI hence the name branded into my skull. Fast fwd 30+ years and i understood Pharoah's Curse to be a cartridge game so eliminated it from my enquiries. I now know it was a tape game in the UK so it all kinda makes sense; the inner documentation also mentions Thorn EMI for some reason. Anyway, i'm fairly certain this was indeed the game in question. now I need to get it working! My real Vic is in the loft so I'm trying to get it working on a MiSTER at the moment.
srowe
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by srowe »

There's a .tap file in Gamebase20, no idea if you can use that with MiSTER but it runs fine in VICE.
Screenshot_20220810_201243.png
Rich
Vic 20 Hobbyist

Post by Rich »

Aztec Challenge

Brad
Vic 20 Drifter

Post by Brad »

srowe wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 1:08 pm There's a .tap file in Gamebase20, no idea if you can use that with MiSTER but it runs fine in VICE.

Screenshot_20220810_201243.png
That did the trick! Thanks and yes, I believe this is the correct game.