Over5 on macOS

You need an actual VIC.

Moderator: Moderators

mathom
Vic 20 Dabbler

Over5 on macOS

Post by mathom »

Has anybody got Over5 working on macOS? The linux version seems to compile okay but I can't get it to do anything. It is entirely possible that I'm using incorrect syntax. I have verified that my serial connection between the VIC and the Mac is operational. I can type back and forth with a terminal program on each end. The contents of .over5rc is:

Code: Select all

DEVICE=8	;cbm device number
SERIALDEVICE=/dev/tty.usbserial-1444110
tty.usbserial-1444110 is the device for the prolific usb serial connector I'm using.

Using the command line:

./over5 simplewrite test.prg
results in a "Bad address" error. I haven't been able to find out what this error message means.

I have also tried to use the linux version of Over5 in a Debian build running in a VM. Same deal here. I can communicate with the VIC terminal to terminal. The contents of .over5rc here is

DEVICE=8	;cbm device number
SERIALDEVICE=/dev/ttyUSB0
Using the same command line here nets me an "Input/output error." No idea what this means either.

Any tips, hints, or suggestions greatly appreciated.
...mathom...
mathom
Vic 20 Dabbler

Re: Over5 on macOS

Post by mathom »

I swear that I must have gremlins in my system. The exact same setup and command line have decided to work today, at least in the Debian VM. :oops:

Still not working on the native macOS build. Maybe I'll try to tinker with that a bit and see if I can find anything obvious.
...mathom...
mathom
Vic 20 Dabbler

Re: Over5 on macOS

Post by mathom »

Okay. For posterity's sake, I got Over5 working on macOS 12.5. Casting a pointer to a u_int32 on a 64 bit platform is obviously a problem. It causes the name of the serial device to get trashed while reading the config file.

More curiously, I discovered that there is some sort of timing issue that causes transfers from the Mac to the VIC to fail. The result of the attempted transfer is a lot of garbage with a few recognizable chunks of the transferred data surviving. After placing a few small delays in sendfile() things seem to be working. It leads me to believe that some handshaking is either not implemented or not working. I expect there is a more elegant solution than the delays, but it gets the job done for my current needs.
...mathom...