"My Super VIC"

Modding and Technical Issues

Moderator: Moderators

Jeff-20
Denial Founder

"My Super VIC"

Post by Jeff-20 »

You just have to love engineers. I'm not sure if this was posted on this forum before, but here is the FULL STORY. Fun read. Any thoughts on these mods?
High Scores, Links, and Jeff's Basic Games page.
Mike
Herr VC

Re: "My Super VIC"

Post by Mike »

Jeff-20 wrote:Any thoughts on these mods?
Posts about heavily modded VIC-20s come up once and again (that particular example springs to my mind), but I think this one had not been mentioned thus far.

Main 'issue' I think about those mods (what I also wrote in the other thread): mostly, there is no detailed documentation how the mod what performed, let alone something like a circuit diagram - which then makes those mods a one-of-a-kind thing. That is o.k. if such mods merely 'collect' a selection of cartridges - tools/games or RAM expansions - in lieu of a cartridge extender. But if they actually provide a capability that could not be provided by a simple combination of cartridges but rather require an actual modification of the mainboard circuitry, then you are lost without a schematic.
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

I wonder if those venilation holes are enough?
Mike
Herr VC

Post by Mike »

Rectifier and voltage regulator have been removed (an external power supply is used instead), and these are the biggest heat sources beside the VIC chip in a 2-prong VIC-20. Anyway, there is also the open cartridge port, so there ... :wink:
chysn
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by chysn »

Where’s the JiffyDOS button?! :D
VIC-20 Projects: wAx Assembler, TRBo: Turtle RescueBot, Helix Colony, Sub Med, Trolley Problem, Dungeon of Dance, ZEPTOPOLIS, MIDI KERNAL, The Archivist, Ed for Prophet-5

WIP: MIDIcast BASIC extension

he/him/his
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

chysn wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 7:03 am Where’s the JiffyDOS button?! :D
I’m sure if it had been available at the time this was made, he would have added it. :)