VIC1011A RS232C Interface

History and Preservation Issues

Moderator: Moderators

doug_in_nc
Vic 20 Enthusiast

VIC1011A RS232C Interface

Post by doug_in_nc »

I just picked up a Jameco JE RS232C interface board which didn't come with a case, and from the photos in the manual it didn't originally either, and so I was planning to make a VIC-1011A-alike 3d printed case for it. As I don't have a VIC 1011A to take measurements from, I was looking for good photos to try to extract the geometry from. I had a look at the Denial Wiki page for the VIC 1011A (link below), and noticed that it included a photo of the board as well as the cased design. Both that board and the Jameco one look identical as far as I can tell, but the photo isn't clear enough to read the silk screen text. Did Jameco make a direct knock-off of the Commodore design, did Commodore use the Jameco board (or the other way round) or is the photo on the wiki an error? Could someone who has a genuine VIC 1011A check?

http://sleepingelephant.com/denial/wiki ... ternal.jpg

VIC-1011A from wiki
VIC-1011A_internal.jpg
Jameco JE 232CM
Jameco JE 232CM.jpg
srowe
Vic 20 Scientist

Re: VIC1011A RS232C Interface

Post by srowe »

Not sure where I found this but this revision looks quite different
VIC-1011A.jpg
ral-clan
plays wooden flutes

Post by ral-clan »

Wait....I don't understand. Jameco is a vendor of all sorts of electronics parts. Are they currently selling this product?
Can you provide a link? (sorry, you didn't state whether this is an old item or a still available item from their website).

Why would they be selling a product intended for a computer from 40 years ago (unless they are vendors of new-old stock)?

What does their product description page say about this?
Image Music I've made with 1980s electronics, synths and other retro-instruments: http://theovoids.bandcamp.com
doug_in_nc
Vic 20 Enthusiast

Post by doug_in_nc »

Sorry, I should have been more clear - I picked it up on e-bay. The date code on the d-sub connector is from 1984