The Perils of Willy Ending

Discussion, Reviews & High-scores

Moderator: Moderators

Snarko
Vic 20 Drifter

The Perils of Willy Ending

Post by Snarko »

The other day I said to myself, ok this is the day I will finish The Perils of Willy. I wasn´t able to find a longplay-video for the game and I was simply curious how the game ends. I started playing, got stuck at one level almost sure it wasn´t possible to complete the game (like jet set willy on c64!), but I was wrong and a few hours ago I finally got past that bloody level and beat the game (using save states). Hooray For Me.

If anyone else wants to have a look at Vic-20 Perils of Willy ending...
https://youtu.be/8MeZBCKHBLc
orion70
VICtalian

Re: The Perils of Willy Ending

Post by orion70 »

Looks like it's not the proper ending, is it the last screen? Did you succeed in collecting all the music 🎵?
highinfidelity
Vic 20 Nerd

Post by highinfidelity »

In which sense this is an ending? Looks like you still have one level (maybe more) to go through...
GOD is REAL. Unless declared DOUBLE PRECISION.
Snarko
Vic 20 Drifter

Post by Snarko »

orion70 wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 11:00 pm Looks like it's not the proper ending, is it the last screen? Did you succeed in collecting all the music 🎵?
I'm pretty sure the games "ending" is that it just starts at level 1 again. :( From 0:03 to 2:51 in the video it shows the last level, I think its level 33?, and at 2:51 the game loops back to level 1 again. Yes I collected all the notes.
highinfidelity wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 12:13 am In which sense this is an ending? Looks like you still have one level (maybe more) to go through...
Yeah, you could argue the game has no ending I guess, not even a 'congratulations you did it'-message. And I didn't contine to play the game, but I think the game will just continue indefinetly until you run out of lives. But if someone can prove me wrong, that'd be awsome. :)
orion70
VICtalian

Post by orion70 »

Ah ok, one of the least satisfying endings in the whole history of videogames 😅
Anyway, congratulations on this achievement, not so easy considering the frustrating mechanics of the game!
highinfidelity
Vic 20 Nerd

Post by highinfidelity »

Snarko wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 11:16 amI'm pretty sure the games "ending" is that it just starts at level 1 again.
Ah, OK, sorry... As I was seeing more interesting floating objects on the screen, what was actually level 1 seemed to me more advanced and thrilling than level 33.

I have to agree that this possibly ranks as the lamest game ending of all times / all platforms / all continents... :D

Thanks for sharing anyway! :wink:
GOD is REAL. Unless declared DOUBLE PRECISION.
hasseapa
Vic 20 Devotee

Post by hasseapa »

Good job Snarko!

It's easy to miss that we are seeing the first level following the last level as there are no level numbers on screen, and certainly no room names like those of Manic Miner and Jet Set Willy. I guess we should not be so surprised of any missing congratulatory message :lol:

Still a great game that I enjoyed at the time.
Snarko
Vic 20 Drifter

Post by Snarko »

Someone asked me how I solved the level before the last level, so I uploaded a video on how I did it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fmKUR4j4uZk

This is likely the most difficult room in the game and I have only managed to get past it by sacrificing one life. Similar to the person who asked me, I was also stuck in this room for quite a while thinking it was no way to solve it at all, so I just wanted to share one solution how to do it! :)
orion70
VICtalian

Post by orion70 »

Wow, at one point I thought you could never do it. Some pixel perfect jumps there :D