Where are all the spaceships?

History and Preservation Issues

Moderator: Moderators

Boray
Musical Smurf

Where are all the spaceships?

Post by Boray »

From the text in the vic game Omega Race from 1981/82:

"In the year 2003, the omegan system developed a method of training its warriors to protect their star colonies. Over the city of Komar, android controlled fighters raced to engage and destroy these omegan warriors."

I guess we are into the future now! :) In one Star Trek episode, I think they say that "Kahn" was one of several gene manipulated princes who reigned parts of Earth in 1996. :D And how about the movie "2001" ;)

Anyway. When they decided to discontinue the vic-20 in 1984, I wonder what the people at Commodore whould have thought about us today??? What whould they think about us? Crazy people who prefers to play with a 20+ years old computer instead of todays speed monsters? And would they think twice before discontinuing the vic if they had known about us?

For me the vic-20 is something special. It's like having a bit of technical history at your fingertips. Like if every train enthuthiast would be able to have his own steam locomotive. And not only one, a couple of different locomotives, all running and in working condition, with waggons and all. :) I think we can be very happy to have such a fun and inexpensive hobby as the vic-20! I think the steam locomotive and the vic-20 is a good analogy - both are objects from the childhood of its ear. And they both are very simple in their design compared to today's counterparts. Simple enough that you can understand how they work and even make some repairs.

Something that suprises me a bit is that tapes recorded in 1983 still loads without any trouble 21 years laters. I doubt very much that any of todays harddisks will work 20 years from now. They will all be dead by then. I also doubt that the computers of today will work at all after 20 years. They are filled with fans to keep the heat down, and the companies probably only dimension the hardware to work for 6-7 years. Then they excpect people to have upgraded to the next generation.

Anyway, that was some thoughts about the future, the past and the vic-20. You are welcome to comment.

/Anders
PRG Starter - a VICE helper / Vic Software (Boray Gammon, SD2IEC music player, Vic Disk Menu, Tribbles, Mega Omega, How Many 8K etc.)
Schlowski
NoMess!

Post by Schlowski »

The VIC-20 (or VC=20 as it's called in Germany) is very special too.
It was my first computer, I learned Basic and Assembly on it and up to now I like - or should I say love? - programming the 6502.
This machine was so simple that you could learn everything about it, you could even teach it yourself! Compare this to nowadays machines - complex and horrible overloaded and I must admit that I not even understand 10% of what's going on in them :?

I don't think that this is the future Commodore and other companies of that time have seen...

Schlowski
Mikam73
2049er

Post by Mikam73 »

Vic is a really special computer for me too.

It was my first computer when I was 8 years old over 20 years ago.

It was first real color home computer.

What can I say we who started out hobby with Vic.. We are pioneers.. :D

And what you talked about starships.. You could ask Gorf imperium about it.. I am sure they wont talk to me.. I did distroy their mothership so many times.. :D
Tonks
Vic 20 Amateur

Best computer ever??!?

Post by Tonks »

The Vic may be simple, have only 3.5k, low resolution and very basic sound, but it RULES!!!!

I got my first Vic when I was 13 (1983). I had failed my second year of highschool and my Dad made a deal with me. He said if I get straight A's, then he would buy me a computer. Well, I worked my butt off and I did it. I got A's in every subject except for typing (which didn't matter because my Dad said that was for girls anyway). So it off to the computer store to get my Vic 20.

Since that day the Vic 20 has been important to me. I would honestly get rid of my Xbox, Gamecube, Dreamcast and Playstation before I would ever get rid of my Vic 20. The games may be basic and simple, but the memories my Vic 20 has given could never be beaten.