The Vicious Dead (jrpg)

Discussion, Reviews & High-scores

Moderator: Moderators

R'zo
Vic 20 Nerd

Re: The Vicious Dead (jrpg)

Post by R'zo »

malcontent wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 10:18 pm It sort of looks like the cave is an underworld, and connects to different overworld entrances? That gives a very open feel, even when you block areas with "keys". How much will you depend on the RPG style to limit the player's exploration? That is, what is blocking exploration? Certain adventure style items? or players not being able to overcome areas until they are strong enough to overcome the monsters? I'm just gonna guess cause of the multiple weapon/attack levels, this will be mostly about getting the fire power to succeed.
I will use natural barriers that need certain objects to get past. You will need to find the surf board before you can past over water, a chainsaw for cutting down trees that are blocking your path, night vision goggles in order to see your way around the caves and gloves for moving stones. Of course there will be keys for unlocking doors and enemies that are just to difficult or that require a certain item to beat.

There will also be puzzles to solve in order to pass a certain area or obtaining certain items. This part of the reason I've decided to use a graphical multiple choice text game like format for indoor areas. Not only will it give the game an unique style that will set it apart from other early RPGs but it will also make it easier to set up a wider variety of puzzles in a more interesting presentation.

Most of the games I've done so far have been level grinding keyquests. I'm aiming to make this game much more dynamic in gameplay.

I am also considering putting In mini games. A boat ride, a quick shoot em up sequence etc. I'm not set on this yet, I want get most of the basic game mechanics worked out before I really start thinking about mini games.
R'zo
I do not believe in obsolete...
R'zo
Vic 20 Nerd

Post by R'zo »

I have developed a small program to test the map screen layout and would like to ask for help testing it. I would like to make sure that the entire game screen is visible on as many vic models and t.v./monitors as possible. The program has a manual screen adjust built in controlled with the cursor keys. The game will include this routine. The map and all 10 menu options should be visible on screen with a black back ground. The blue border should be pushed completely off the screen and not visible.

If anyone would be willing to download the d64 or sdiec files, give them a run on hardware, post pictures and let me know what vic model (pal/ntsc and 2-prong/cr) it would be greatly appreciated.

Downloads here: The Vicious Dead Screen Test.
screentest.png
screentest.png (6 KiB) Viewed 539 times
R'zo
tokra
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by tokra »

Ok, here we go. I tested this on my PAL and NTSC-VIC20 - both are CR-models and S-Video-modified. All my display-devices support S-Video as well.

PAL on my LCD-TV - everything visible as it should be, but judging by the border a little too much to the left and down
IMG_4651.jpg

PAL on my Commodore 1901 - again everything visible but could move to the right and up again.
IMG_4652.jpg

PAL on my Commodore 1084 with maximum shrunken image by using the knobs for V-size and H-size and horizontal and vertical position to get the maximum displayable area.
IMG_4653.jpg

NTSC on my LCD-TV - looking good!
IMG_4655.jpg

NTSC on my Commodore 1084 again with "maximum shrink"-settings. Since the 1084 is PAL, it cannot display NTSC-colors, but it is able to display 60 Hz.
IMG_4654.jpg

I think you could adjust the PAL-position a little, so the default setting is covering more devices, but other than that this looks fine!
R'zo
Vic 20 Nerd

Post by R'zo »

tokra wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 1:52 pm Ok, here we go...
Thank you for this. It's nice to see that it still looks good in b/w. I'll get to work adding an auto adjust routine into my next demo.

Did you try to adjust the screen position with the cursor keys?
R'zo
tokra
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by tokra »

R'zo wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 10:00 pm Did you try to adjust the screen position with the cursor keys?
Yup, that worked fine and I could center the picture better on PAL.
MysticSword
Vic 20 Amateur

Post by MysticSword »

This looks great and I think the music is quite good too. An impressive job you've done on this.
Is the game still in the works? I look forward to seeing how this game progresses and when it's released.
Best wishes.
I love retro-gaming and the Vic-20. 8)
orion70
VICtalian

Post by orion70 »

I second MysticSword's question.. also, i wonder how I could miss the whole thread in the first place.
R'zo
Vic 20 Nerd

Post by R'zo »

MysticSword wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 12:08 pm This looks great and I think the music is quite good too. An impressive job you've done on this.
Is the game still in the works? I look forward to seeing how this game progresses and when it's released. Best wishes.
Yes this is still in the works. I have been in a combination of very busy, wrapped up in a couple of side projects and hitting a little writers block with the vicious dead. I want the game to be story centric but have had a hard time coming up with a solid story line to drive the game. I have now nailed a plot line and will be moving back into character and enemy design and building the actual game engine now that I have a solid skeletal structure to wrap it around.

I have been going back and forth between random turn based battles and a simple overhead action style battle system for the "world map" portion of the game. There will be no leveling up in this game so there is no purpose for level grinding. To the opposite, the hp that you start with is all you get with very little chance to replenish throughout the course of the game. The idea will be more to avoid unnecessary battles for the sake of survival and saving your hp to make it through boss battles. Having on map enemies that you can try to run from may fit the scope of the game than random battles.

The indoor "dungeon" portions of the game will be done with a graphical multiple choice text based style game play with a turn based system inspired more by games like zork where the boss battles are more about puzzle solving and strategy than what spell to use on which bad guy.

i am also thinking about including a sanity system similar to the call of cthulu rpg system. Your sanity is effected based on the out come of your choices. In turn the choices that you are perceive are effected by your sanity.
R'zo
MysticSword
Vic 20 Amateur

Post by MysticSword »

@R'zo : Thanks for the reply. I'm glad to know that this game is still in the works.
No worries, take your time with it as need be and work on it when you have the time and inspiration for it. I well understand about getting side-tracked sometimes with life-stuff, other commitments, projects and stuff.
I have a couple of game projects I've had on the back-burner for a while that I still hope to continue working on soon and eventually finished and release (one is near ready).
Best wishes and good luck.
I love retro-gaming and the Vic-20. 8)